12v Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Fridge

I have a Transcend 231RK with the Furrion 12v fridge. I plan on a taking a summer trip and would like to use the fridge while driving. Is it OK to drive for 8-10 hours a day with it on? The trailer has a solar panel installed that supplies power. I don't think this should be a problem but I've read pros and cons and would like to hear some thoughts from others.
    Thanks!
    Tim R.

When you are plugged up to the TV, it also puts 12V power to your battery and thus powering your fridge while travelling. With both, you should be great.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

GDRV's number one reason for going to the 12V compressor refrigerators was for safety. Many RV refrigerators are absorption type gas/electric units. If you want to keep the refrigerator cold while driving, you need to run with the gas turned on. It is considered safer to turn the gas off when driving. That's where your 12V electric compressor refrigerator shines! It is very safe to travel with it turned on. And your solar panel and power from your tow vehicle should keep your battery charged. So you can travel with confidence that your food will stay cold and you won't have a propane leak while towing (make sure to turn off your propane bottles before leaving).

BTW, I retrofitted my Reflection travel trailer with a 12V compressor refrigerator and solar and I run mine 24/7 from the time I leave on our trip until I return home.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the comments!!.. My wife and I'll will be leaving AZ for OR and WA for the next 3 months and it will be nice to know we can stock the fridge while we travel!!!!!

Comment

Hi , I`m new to all of this so i have a question. We have had a 21 200MK for a couple of months and are continuing the purchase of all the "necessary" items to go with the camper. I have read all of the horror stories regarding refrigerator fires. Can anyone tell me if the one in our camper is safe without the temp monitoring add on device. Right now i do not have the model # but it is a Furrion.
          Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim R View Post
            Thanks for the comments!!.. My wife and I'll will be leaving AZ for OR and WA for the next 3 months and it will be nice to know we can stock the fridge while we travel!!!!!
            We went from Oregon to Sedona and back with a packed 12v Furrion fridge and everything worked perfectly. We've logged just over 4,000 miles since taking ownership in late March.

John
            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
            2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
            ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
            2017 Jayco 26BH
            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
              Hi , I`m new to all of this so i have a question. We have had a 21 200MK for a couple of months and are continuing the purchase of all the "necessary" items to go with the camper. I have read all of the horror stories regarding refrigerator fires. Can anyone tell me if the one in our camper is safe without the temp monitoring add on device. Right now i do not have the model # but it is a Furrion.
              Thanks for any info.
              Rex - The Furrion refrigerator in your trailer does not use propane or have a burner element. In addition, it doesn't have an electric heating element either. It uses 12V battery power to run your refrigerator with a compressor. Compressors are the same technology that you see in home refrigerators. I have not heard any reports of unsafe issues with the Furrion refrigerator. Since you don't have propane or electric heating elements in your refrigerator, you're about as safe as you can be.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Tim R View Post
                I'd add a note of caution and state to keep an eye on the battery state of charge as you're traveling. While I have 1200W of solar on the roof of my 315RLTS, having lived through Florida's version of a monsoon season this past week there's not a chance the solar would have kept up with even just my refrigerator's demand. I suspect you have a single wet-cell RV battery and a small solar array, so it could be quite easy to drain the battery past the 50% point inadvertently, especially if you "boondock" for a night or otherwise leave the trailer disconnected from shore power or the tow vehicle for a length of time.

While it is true the tow vehicle will provide some power, my 2017 Ford F-350 SuperDuty only passes a pathetic 9A of 12vDC through the 7-pin connector.

If you're able, I advise installing a battery monitor that shows your battery's voltage and state of charge, or SOC. (The OEM's provision of "lights" is not sufficent IMHO). Monitoring the SOC is something modern RV'ers have to get used to doing, just like monitoring propane level was critical in the past (unless you wanted to freeze at night or have your refrigerator turn off).

Please report back after your trip how it went!

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you all for the information. That makes me feel MUCH better. Being an Electrician, i tend to always lean on the side of safety and i refuse to take chances. This RV thing had been a most interesting learning experience. Boy these things have certainly changed since my parents took me in our `67 Mallard. HAHA. Again, Thanks and All be safe in your travels.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

BTW, I retrofitted my Reflection travel trailer with a 12V compressor refrigerator and solar and I run mine 24/7 from the time I leave on our trip until I return home.

Jim

Not to hijack this post...but...how difficult was that? I've been considering doing the same thing.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Not to hijack this post...but...how difficult was that? I've been considering doing the same thing.
                      Sorry for the very late reply. I've been on the road for a few weeks and missed this. It was actually easier than I anticipated. PM me if you want to discuss details.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Hello Jim,

Can you provide details on how to retrofit the 12v refrigerator compressor. I currently have a 376THS with a norcold refrigerator. I want to be able to run the refrigerator while hooked up to my truck while diving. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I do not have solar.
                        Thanks
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry 0828 View Post
                          Hello Jim,

Can you provide details on how to retrofit the 12v refrigerator compressor. I currently have a 376THS with a norcold refrigerator. I want to be able to run the refrigerator while hooked up to my truck while diving. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I do not have solar.
                          Thanks
                          Terry
                          Terry -- first step to get the most out of your time here on this forum is to read the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members Spend just short bit of time getting acquainted and you'll understand why I'm tagging TucsonJim so he sees your question.

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Terry 0828 View Post
                            Hello Jim,

Thanks
                            Terry
                            Good morning Terry.

The retrofit was easier than I anticipated.

1. Turn off propane and disconnect the refrigerator's propane line.
                            2. Unplug the refrigerator's 120VAC electrical cord.
                            3. Disconnect the refrigerator's 12VDC electrical connections.
                            4. Remove the screws and trim that may be holding your existing refrigerator.
                            5. Slide the existing refrigerator out of the cabinet, and remove it from the RV.
                            6. Measure the replacement refrigerator to make sure it will fit the cabinet. Modify the cabinet if needed. Mine was a direct fit and no mods were needed.
                            7. Bring in the new refrigerator and slide it into the cabinet. This was the toughest part of mine. I had maybe 1/4" of clearance to get it in place!
                            8. Connect the 12VDC supply to the new refrigerator. Check the existing 12VDC wire size. If it's not large enough to handle the current, you'll need to run larger gauge wire.
                            9. Fasten the new refrigerator into the cabinet per the installation instructions.
                            10. Install trim around the refrigerator if needed.
                            11. Test out the new refrigerator and enjoy!

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'd add a note of caution and state to keep an eye on the battery state of charge as you're traveling. While I have 1200W of solar on the roof of my 315RLTS, having lived through Florida's version of a monsoon season this past week there's not a chance the solar would have kept up with even just my refrigerator's demand. I suspect you have a single wet-cell RV battery and a small solar array, so it could be quite easy to drain the battery past the 50% point inadvertently, especially if you "boondock" for a night or otherwise leave the trailer disconnected from shore power or the tow vehicle for a length of time.

While it is true the tow vehicle will provide some power, my 2017 Ford F-350 SuperDuty only passes a pathetic 9A of 12vDC through the 7-pin connector.

If you're able, I advise installing a battery monitor that shows your battery's voltage and state of charge, or SOC. (The OEM's provision of "lights" is not sufficent IMHO). Monitoring the SOC is something modern RV'ers have to get used to doing, just like monitoring propane level was critical in the past (unless you wanted to freeze at night or have your refrigerator turn off).

Please report back after your trip how it went!

Howard
                              Howson beat me to most of the information. In addition to the SOC monitor (I tend to recommend Victron's BMV or the Smartshunt) you could add another battery in parallel at the least to gain extra capacity for cloudy skies or less charge than anticipated. I do not know how many amps at 12V those fridges use....but mine consumes 300-330 or so on AC mode (120v) running off the inverter batteries. I would assume yours would run higher amperage at 12v and similar total watts.

Hope all that helps.
                              2020 Imagine 2400BH
                              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X