Air Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. My wife and I just purchased a GD Transcend xplor 261 BH. We recently went camping and unfortunately the KOA that we stayed at was a newer one and had no mature trees so we were in the sun all day long. The temperature outside was around 88-90 degrees. It seemed like the A/C unit was constantly running. At night, our bedroom was the hottest and the rest of the trailer was much cooler. We had guest with us and so we kept our bedroom door/slide closed at night for privacy. I noticed that there is only one a/c duct in the bedroom. The air seemed to blow out of it pretty good but I was really surprised how hot our room stayed. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a Furrion 14.5 BTU model # FACR14SA-BL installed in it.

Kram

You describe a situation that is pretty normal for an RV with a single AC unit at the rear. The cool air has the farthest to go to get to the front bedroom and has to travel through ductwork in the hot ceiling. Closing the door makes this worse because there is no way for the hot air to get out of this closed room. On a similar temperature day where you can leave the door open, is the bedroom cooler? You can partially close down the rear AC openings to force more air to the front of the trailer, but this will have minimal affect. One thing that we have learned (we have a single AC Reflection) is that you have to get the AC going earlier in the day than you would think. By the time the trailer is feeling too warm . . . you should have closed up and started the AC several hours before .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The bedroom is a tiny bit cooler when the door stays open all day. I looked into the aftermarket RV Airflow systems that supposedly is installed on all GD trailers after June of 2020 but I have yet to verify that it was installed in mine. And you are right about turning the A/C on earlier in the day than needed. After this post I read in my owners manual about heat gain. I was still a little bit surprised on how hot our room was. But if you say that my situation is normal then at least I have the peace of mind of knowing that there isn't anything wrong. Thank you very much for responding. being a newby I don't know much and then I have the problem of not knowing what I don't know!

Comment

Kram Rob is right on, unfortunately if it's blowing cold in the living room, and you are getting some airflow to the bedroom (even if it's hot) then it's probably working properly. I'm not sure if the RV airflow systems were installed in the Furrion AC units or not, I think they were only installed in the Coleman units.

If it was cycling (because the living room was at temperature) you might need to "freezer out" the living room and turn the thermostat down lower. I'm not sure if the Transcends are setup for a second AC unit in the front, but that's how we ultimately solved the issue in our fifth wheel.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I would think some kind of fan drawing air out of the bedroom into the main room would help.
          Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
            I would think some kind of fan drawing air out of the bedroom into the main room would help.
            I was thinking along these same lines. I doubt that a 30A Transcend is wired for a second AC in the bedroom, but probably has a ceiling vent. I wonder if cracking this open would create a "chimney" for the hot air to exit while the cooler air from the AC vent drops down. Depends in part on how far apart the AC outlet and the roof vent, are.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am also a newbie RV owner and purchased a Transcend XPLOR 260 RB in February. AC has been working great but all of sudden yesterday it didn't turn off and the RV was not getting cool. I cleaned the vent but it wasn't that dirty since the RV is fairly new. Any suggestions? I am up in Maine and it has been hotter than usual. I keep all the windows and doors closed and drapes. I appreciate the help.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom's Grand Blessing View Post
                I am also a newbie RV owner and purchased a Transcend XPLOR 260 RB in February. AC has been working great but all of sudden yesterday it didn't turn off and the RV was not getting cool. I cleaned the vent but it wasn't that dirty since the RV is fairly new. Any suggestions? I am up in Maine and it has been hotter than usual. I keep all the windows and doors closed and drapes. I appreciate the help.

Tom
                Hi Tom,

This is definitely not a good thing. It is possible that the AC has shut itself down and will recover if you turn it off and let it sit for a few hours. Are you in a campground with electrical problems? AC units don't work very well on low voltage supply. Unfortunately, not much on an RV air conditioning unit is serviceable. If the AC does not reset on its own, your best bet is to get it checked out by a qualified mobile RV service technician. Based on what he says, you will have alternatives within your warranty . . . but, none of these are going to solve the problem quickly.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tom's Grand Blessing Tom, if you are able, check to see if the coils inside the unit are frozen (does not happen often but possible). Another sign of frozen coils is reduced or no airflow. You may be able to see the coils from the filter. Another thing to check if possible is to see if the coils on the roof somehow got blocked. Dust can be a bad thing.

Also if the unit is making water, it's most likely working. If parked in FULL sun, the AC may not be able to keep up. If the campground will allow it and you can safely do it, cool the roof with water to see if it helps.

I've put a sprinkler on the roof of the house when having to work in the attic. It's amazing what a little cool water will do to such a small space on the shingles.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Kram and Tom's Grand Blessing

​​​​​​​Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                    X