X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold Fridge Temp regulation

Hi All
    Norcold 1210 12cu ft fridge
    Recently spent a couple weeks camping with a fridge that does not stay a consistent temperature. It started with outside temps about 24*C and the fridge on 7 which resulted in an interior temp of 3*C. All good.
    Then the outside temp went up to 28*-30* and the interior fridge temp went up to 8*c..Not good. Increased fridge setting to 9 and no change. Installed an extra vent fan in front of the cooling fins and it worked well...for a while...then temps went back up again. So I installed another. In front of the cooling fins exhausting out the upper vent cover. And it works ok but when the temps went up to 33*C..it got too warm inside again. Switched to propane and it is better. Then the outside temps dropped and the fridge got too cold.
    To the best of my knowledge, with two fans on steady and two on a temp switch, it should never get too warm inside. I'm not super familiar with the absorption tech. Any hints as to what I need to do to make this fridge maintain a consistent temp?

Also, being a four door fridge I constantly checked the ' door flap' and it seemed to be doing it's job properly.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

I would say you there is something wrong. I happened to have checked ours the other day. Outside temp was 89 deg humidity was 48%, fridge was around 33 deg on top shelf. Set on 4.
    Forgot to add, we are full sun most of the day.
    Last edited by MK397THR; 07-08-2021, 08:46 PM.
    2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
    Traded 2021 Reflection 337
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
    Formerly M&K337

Comment

@M&K337 Is your fridge 'as delivered' with no extra fans?

Comment

Im forever changing our temp up and down, I found when sun is beating down on the slide where fridge is I up the temp when sun moves to the other side I bump it down. I try to keep fridge under 40 deg and like you it gets to cold or warm. On a overcast day with temps in 80 mine runs great at around 5 on the setting
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

The Norcold you have will probably never perform as well as a compressor ("residential") model. The usual strategies to get the most from your refrigerator is to ensure it's not overpacked, install a small fan inside to move air around, and ensure the fans on the back of the unit are working correctly.

Even with all that you'll still be chasing the temperatures...and every time the door is opened it will take an hour or so to recover.

I am not fond of absorption refrigerators.

Howard
          Last edited by howson; 07-09-2021, 03:42 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Yes our fridge is the way it came other than a new control board. The above is operating on shore power. It performed similar on gas. Took 2 weeks to get a new board.
            Formerly M&K337

Comment

I will agree with Howard, I don’t think the absorption fridge is as good as the residential.
              Formerly M&K337

Comment

You surely have a problem. Not knowing where you place your items resulting in keeping the doors open too long....will certainly compound the problem.

The fridge will have a thermostat and go on and (thermostat could be faulty. My old 2007 Norcold 6 cu ft did this and I realized that it had a defrost cycle (who knew-I read the manual) after 72 hours I think it would do this.

On your cooling fins is a thermistor. Look a video below....I have adjusted mine but also make sure that nothing really blocks this area (food that is).

RV Refrigerator Temperature Adjustments - YouTube

If you looked at the video and it is your issue, I would think yours is too low on the fins.

Also, do a paper sheet and do a seal leak test around the perimeter of all your fridge seals. I have had to tighten up a door once as the whole side failed the test resulting in air exchange with the room.

I have an infrared temp gun. On my new TT I have noticed that the top right side of the inner fridge wall is too hot. It was missing insulation so I added some....all good now.

Also, and often a culprit.....the position of the thermistor on the cooling fins in the fridge. Make sure it it is well secured and not touching any food (its in the manual).

Another culprit is not allowing enough space between your food to allow proper cooling. Some people install a small fan to circulate the air evenly around the inside of the fridge on the other side of the thermistor but really best placed mid-fridge.

Good Luck

Pierre
                Pierre & Tara
                2021 Imagine 2600RB
                2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
                1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by M&K337 View Post
                  I will agree with Howard, I don’t think the absorption fridge is as good as the residential.
                  Definitely not, but with our camping style, we NEED a fridge that runs on 12vdc.

Thanks for the tips Pierre. My thermistor is about 3/4" down on the second fin from the right. I think I will check the seals with the suggested paper test next.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Definitely not, but with our camping style, we NEED a fridge that runs on 12vdc.

Thanks for the tips Pierre. My thermistor is about 3/4" down on the second fin from the right. I think I will check the seals with the suggested paper test next.
                    For clarity, an absorption "RV" refrigerator uses 12vDC for the control panel, lights, and fans. For the actual absorption process it uses propane or 120vAC. It must have 12vDC to operate (turn on, etc) and either propane or 120vAC to cool.

A "residential" refrigerator uses 120vAC for all power requirements.

A compressor-based RV refrigerator typically uses 12vDC for all the power requirements.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Follow up....
                      As it turns out, the biggest reason for temp swings in our fridge was the campsite owners were having voltage regulation problems with their generator. The A/C voltage was swinging quite a bit. So the A/C function of the fridge (heater) was having varying effectiveness. Once I stayed on propane we were fine. I looked at the Norcold manual and it said the A/C function will struggle if the voltage gets below 108vac. A couple of the times I checked the voltage it was in the 105-107 range. Since we have been home with a steady 127vac, the fridge is on 4 and interior temp is 3*c. Outdoor temps is 32*c.
                      Just posting this up to show that just because your fridge isn't cold, it isn't necessarily a fridge fault.

Comment

Working...
                      X