Refrigerator Auto Switch to Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Auto Switch to Propane

We have the Norcold 2118 refrigerator in our Solitude 390RK and it will not consistently switch to propane when we loose shore power (sometimes it will and sometimes it won't). It works fine on propane if we manually switch it over. We have been full timing for over a year now and this has just started in the last few months. I have used the search function and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out.
    Donnie & Pattie
    2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
    Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

racerx1699
    Hi Donnie & Pattie

This might be caused by lack of propane at the fridge when the auto switch over happens. I would start by checking all propane fittings with a soap solution . . . looking for a small leak.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Can you hear it trying to light? If so, does it light and go back out? if so, you might want to check the propane flame sensor. I know our house furnace would light and go off until it failed. Cleaned the sensor and life was good again.

Also check for critters that may have built around the flame or air induction areas of the burner.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        racerx1699
        Hi Donnie & Pattie

This might be caused by lack of propane at the fridge when the auto switch over happens. I would start by checking all propane fittings with a soap solution . . . looking for a small leak.

Rob
        Thanks Rob, I didn't find any leaks, it changes to propane every time I manually change it to propane it just won't switch to propane when it's in auto and shore power is removed.
        Donnie & Pattie
        Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

You may wish to call your dealer or Norcold and see what they may say. This could be a control issue or even the electronic control board on the back of the fridge.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have the same issue in my 2021 Reflection Travel Trailer (delivered in March) with the Norcold 2118. It does not reliably switch to Propane when power is removed. After messing with the fridge, I'm not sure it happens because of air in the propane lines due to switching tanks, or a defect in the fridge.

So far, I have taken the path of least resistance and just switch it over manually. It works when manually set to propane, so I'm not overly concerned. Now that I have two full propane tanks and am not using the propane furnace in the summer, I'll watch the situation more carefully.

If you do find a solution, please post.
            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              You may wish to call your dealer or Norcold and see what they may say. This could be a control issue or even the electronic control board on the back of the fridge.

Brian
              Thanks Brian that's what I'll do next, was just hoping someone here would have the answer, dealers a waist of time so I'll call Norcold.
              Donnie & Pattie
              Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                I have the same issue in my 2021 Reflection Travel Trailer (delivered in March) with the Norcold 2118. It does not reliably switch to Propane when power is removed. After messing with the fridge, I'm not sure it happens because of air in the propane lines due to switching tanks, or a defect in the fridge.

So far, I have taken the path of least resistance and just switch it over manually. It works when manually set to propane, so I'm not overly concerned. Now that I have two full propane tanks and am not using the propane furnace in the summer, I'll watch the situation more carefully.

If you do find a solution, please post.
                Yeah it works fine changing manually but I like the auto change function incase we loss power when we're not home. We have moved 56 times and has worked every time until about a month ago. If it's a part I can change myself I'll do that, if I have to can a tech I think I'll just let it go for awhile.
                Donnie & Pattie
                Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Working...
                X