12v fridge and boon docking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v fridge and boon docking

So it appears transcend moved to new 12v fridge with solar panel and now imagine and xls models are changing as well. I ordered a 2022 xls and got the call that they no longer are able to get lp/ac fridges installed.

This will be my first TT and I guess I am old school wanting lp to do camping. I have been advised they provide a
    165 w panel to run 12v fridge. This seems small and I live in BC Canada. Not always direct efficient sunlight for solar. Hoping to get 5-7 days without issue or battles going dead.

I plan on putting other panels on for enjoyment of TT but don’t want to use the for fridge only. As it will help with furnace, pump, lights ect

anyone have experience with the new fridge and power consumption. Average Amps used per day?

Here is the plan 2-6v batteries. 320w solar and xantrex xc2000.

thanks for any info you can provide if fridge is good, bad, draw of amps, and what you may be running to make it work.
    seems to be many thoughts when googled but not a lot of first hand use.

Chris

Chris and Brittany
    soon to be 22MLE owners
    British Columbia

TucsonJim Has installed a 12v fridge and has quite a bit of data for it , he will be along shortly. Others here have experience as well.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Arcticgrywolf View Post
      So it appears transcend moved to new 12v fridge with solar panel and now imagine and xls models are changing as well. I ordered a 2022 xls and got the call that they no longer are able to get lp/ac fridges installed.

This will be my first TT and I guess I am old school wanting lp to do camping. I have been advised they provide a
      165 w panel to run 12v fridge. This seems small and I live in BC Canada. Not always direct efficient sunlight for solar. Hoping to get 5-7 days without issue or battles going dead.

I plan on putting other panels on for enjoyment of TT but don’t want to use the for fridge only. As it will help with furnace, pump, lights ect

anyone have experience with the new fridge and power consumption. Average Amps used per day?

Here is the plan 2-6v batteries. 320w solar and xantrex xc2000.

thanks for any info you can provide if fridge is good, bad, draw of amps, and what you may be running to make it work.
      seems to be many thoughts when googled but not a lot of first hand use.

Chris
      I think TucsonJim has experience with the 12v fridge. My understanding is it is pretty energy efficient, but I do not think you will get 5 days out of it with two 6v batteries. I did a quick search for the Furrion 12v fridge and found a few posts on another board the clocked it at 4 amps per hour. Not sure if that is average or max, but if its average, you are looking at 13 hours if you only use half half the capacity of a 105 ah battery (recommended to not go below 50%).
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I installed a Norcold 12V compressor refrigerator and I'm very happy with it. I have camped off grid with it for 14 days straight and in two years, I've not needed to fire up a generator to charge the batteries back up. But I have three LiFePO4 Battle Born batteries and 800 watts of solar on the roof.

GDRV has always expressed to me their concern about owners traveling with the LP turned on to prevent a gas fire while underway. In addition, 12V compressor refrigerators do not use gas, so the chance of a refrigerator fire while camping is greatly reduced.

For the typical camper who drives from park to park for 6-8 hours a day, a single battery and a 165 watt solar panel will keep them sufficiently charged while on the road in order to eliminate the need for a gas refrigerator. If an owner wants to boondock for longer periods of time, they can add 1-2 more solar panels and a larger battery bank and should be in great shape. Or they can run their generator for a few hours a day to let the converter charge the batteries.

My Norcold refrigerator draws around 40-50 amps per day. We're also very happy with how cold the 12V refrigerator keeps the food. In 105-110°F temperatures, the refrigerator stays around 35°F, and the freezer around -5°F,

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hey Jim, what size fridge? Wife loves the look of our gas/electric 2 door Dometic with wood panels. This thing is 30a an hour using inverter. Just curious.
          2018 337RLS
          720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
          disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
            Hey Jim, what size fridge? Wife loves the look of our gas/electric 2 door Dometic with wood panels. This thing is 30a an hour using inverter. Just curious.
            Forum hint: Best practice is to "tag" the individual if not quoting so they get a notification (like you just did). Here's an example of a tag: TucsonJim -- post 5 is a question to you.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
              Thanks for the "tag" Howard.

Jim - The model we have is a Norcold N10DC. It has stainless panels on the front. It's 10 cubic feet, and replaced an 8 CF while using the same size opening.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I installed a Norcold 12V compressor refrigerator and I'm very happy with it. I have camped off grid with it for 14 days straight and in two years, I've not needed to fire up a generator to charge the batteries back up. But I have three LiFePO4 Battle Born batteries and 800 watts of solar on the roof.

GDRV has always expressed to me their concern about owners traveling with the LP turned on to prevent a gas fire while underway. In addition, 12V compressor refrigerators do not use gas, so the chance of a refrigerator fire while camping is greatly reduced.

For the typical camper who drives from park to park for 6-8 hours a day, a single battery and a 165 watt solar panel will keep them sufficiently charged while on the road in order to eliminate the need for a gas refrigerator. If an owner wants to boondock for longer periods of time, they can add 1-2 more solar panels and a larger battery bank and should be in great shape. Or they can run their generator for a few hours a day to let the converter charge the batteries.

My Norcold refrigerator draws around 40-50 amps per day. We're also very happy with how cold the 12V refrigerator keeps the food. In 105-110°F temperatures, the refrigerator stays around 35°F, and the freezer around -5°F,

Jim
                Hi Jim,

Is the 12v fridge about the same weight as the LP/AC fridge? What did you do to seal up the old vents that were needed for the LP/AC fridge? Not looking at changing right now but if the Dometic dies I would like to go 12v too.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Jim,

Is the 12v fridge about the same weight as the LP/AC fridge? What did you do to seal up the old vents that were needed for the LP/AC fridge? Not looking at changing right now but if the Dometic dies I would like to go 12v too.

Rob
                  Rob - The gas/electric 8 cubic foot Norcold weighed 150#. The 10 cubic foot Norcold weighs 124 pounds.

I left the panels in place. I frequently pull off the bottom panel to show the compressor set up to curious campers. I used the top panel to complete the wiring connections. I did seal the openings in the panels with Gorilla Tape.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Jim,

Rob
                    I switched out to a residential refrigerator and replaced the vented panels with matte black opaque plastic panels from tap plastics. I put a piece of foam insulation in the hole and then the plastic panel screwed to the fiberglass. Still removable if I need to get in and finishes off nice.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I switched out to a residential refrigerator and replaced the vented panels with matte black opaque plastic panels from tap plastics. I put a piece of foam insulation in the hole and then the plastic panel screwed to the fiberglass. Still removable if I need to get in and finishes off nice.
                      Great idea! Do you have photos available?

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Great idea! Do you have photos available?

Jim
                        I posted some a while back, I can grab some more tomorrow. They were great to work with, I had them radius the corners and bevel the edge. I drilled the holes myself so I didn't have to lay it out ahead of time. Originally I tried filling the factory cover with spray foam and gorilla tape but I was never really happy with it. This worked really well. I'd suggest getting a drill bit from them, I used a regular bit and it bites the plastic really hard, and I cracked a piece when drilling a hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A49FC1C0-558D-43ED-ACD5-9BA2C6D10EC1.jpeg
Views:	1191
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	62181

Neil Citro

Comment

Arcticgrywolf We just returned from a 4 week trip where we logged 4200 miles on out trailer. We have a Norcold NA7LX 2 way 7cf fridge. After this trip I am going to replace with a 12v fridge (Norcold N8DC...smaller brother of TuscanJims N10DC) because it's a direct replacement as far as cutout size.

We have 300W solar panel with 2 100ah AGM batteries. We have boondocked for 6 days without any issues with the batteries....however, I will be replacing the 2 batteries with a 200ah lithium battery and will add another 100W or 200W panel just to make sure all will be good with the 12V fridge.

The reason I will switch is based on the poor performance of the 2 way, absorption fridge. It takes 7 to 10 hours to get down to the correct temperature. The freezer is too cold, but the fridge is too warm (it is normally about 5 to 10 degrees higher than recommended for safety). The hotter it is outside, the worse the performance is. Altitude also makes a slight difference.

As we travel we leave the propane on for the fridge. Every stop we have to check the fridge because it often turns off and we have to turn it back on. My theory is that the wind through the vent is blowing out the flame...

Each time we take the trailer out, we have to be extra careful to quickly open and close the fridge because it loses so much precious cold air. it's a constant source of stress...especially on longer trips.

It's just my opinion, but the 2 way and 3 way fridge's are poor performers with more risk than reward when compared to the 12V competitors.

But, you do what you are comfortable with and enjoy the time out with family.
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                            It's just my opinion, but the 2 way and 3 way fridge's are poor performers with more risk than reward when compared to the 12V competitors.
                            My opinion, too. "RV" absorption refrigerators can not perform as well as compressor-driven (aka "12 volt" or "residential") refrigerators.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Do you not have to provide for ventilation to get rid of the heat generated?
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X