12v fridge and boon docking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TedS View Post
    Do you not have to provide for ventilation to get rid of the heat generated?

No, compressor fridges vent out the front (usually the bottom), so the back can be closed up. Same as your fridge at home.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks TucsonJim and ncitro . Much appreciate the feedback. I really like the black panel idea for closing out the fridge vents.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
        Thanks TucsonJim and ncitro . Much appreciate the feedback. I really like the black panel idea for closing out the fridge vents.

Rob
        Yeah I know a few members have asked me for the link over the years. I've been happy with it.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._p95_matte/513

I think they worked out to about $75 each by the time I was done with the radius corners and beveled edge.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

No, compressor fridges vent out the front (usually the bottom), so the back can be closed up. Same as your fridge at home.
          So the refrigerator adds some heat to the living space.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Ok, understand.
            Like I just found from Norcold installation. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210801-093007_Drive.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	62215
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

When I was testing the refrigerator out for Grand Design, I placed recording thermometers in several key locations around the unit. I found it very interesting that the thermometer near the compressor had very little elevation in temperature.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                Arcticgrywolf We just returned from a 4 week trip where we logged 4200 miles on out trailer. We have a Norcold NA7LX 2 way 7cf fridge. After this trip I am going to replace with a 12v fridge (Norcold N8DC...smaller brother of TuscanJims N10DC) because it's a direct replacement as far as cutout size.

Just one word of caution. The doors on these units dent very easily. Make sure you take precautions to protect the door during installation. Even pushing on the door panel to push the refrigerator into the recess can result in a dent.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Does Norcold make a 12v replacement for their 1210T RV fridge?
                  Bob and Joanne
                  2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                  2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
                  20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

When I was testing the refrigerator out for Grand Design, I placed recording thermometers in several key locations around the unit. I found it very interesting that the thermometer near the compressor had very little elevation in temperature.

Jim
                    That makes sense since the warmer air exits at the top of the refrigerator according to Norcold.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Bhbery View Post
                      Does Norcold make a 12v replacement for their 1210T RV fridge?
                      JC Refrigeration does - it is a replacement cooling back that includes the 12V compressor and all of the cooling fins - there are videos on how to do the swap. Swapping out the back is not too bad of a job - watched some YouTube videos - the kit is plug and play - reuses the same controls. Disconnect and cap the propane connection. You remove the fridge, lay it face down and remove the old cooling parts and replace with the new ones. JC Refrigeration in Indiana will do it for under $300. Part is a little over $1000.

Here is a link ... https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...vac-12-24v-dc/
                      Last edited by openrangeowners; 08-02-2021, 12:52 PM.
                      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Working...
                      X