Compass Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compass Connect

My wife and I purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE in September of 2020 which did not come with the Compass Connect system. All 2021 XLS models are supposed to come with Compass Connect system. Does anyone know if it can it be added or upgraded?

Originally posted by bopanman View Post
    My wife and I purchased a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE in September of 2020 which did not come with the Compass Connect system. All 2021 XLS models are supposed to come with Compass Connect system. Does anyone know if it can it be added or upgraded?
    Welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owners' Forum! There's a letter the moderators assembled to help orient new members, so I hope you'll take a moment to check it out: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question: can it be added? Yes, but not easily. It would take a major rewire effort due to how the Compass Connect (CC) system operates.

If you'd like to know more, fire away with your questions.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Unfortunately there are quite a few members of this forum that wish they didn’t have Compass.
      Watch out what you wish for, when god wants to cures you he answers your prayers.
      Mark & Annette
      2021 2930rl
      1000w solar, 3k Multiplus ll 2x120, Cerbo GX, Touch 50, MorRyde rubberpinbox
      2020 Ram 3500 Dually, Max tow pkg

Comment

bopanman Welcome to the family and the forum!
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

IMO...you are not missing anything. The app needs a few dozen revisions to become reliable.
          Especially regarding Tire Linc, but buggy with the other systems as well.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

bopanman . I believe it is possible that you have a simplified version of the one control, without the screen/tablet controller. It is possible your switches are merely sending a request to the hidden controller, rather than, say, directly switching on a light. I think you can tell this if on your control center there is a button marked "bluetooth" or the symbol for it. I think it is at the top right of the panel. If so, I believe you can sync your phone to it.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I have a 22MLE and there is no touchscreen like I have seen pictures of in the larger 5th wheels and such. But if you get the GD or Lippert app on your phone, then you can sync that to the Control Panel right by the door as DarnDave stated above.It seems to work well to turn on/off lights or roll out the awning or slide, and to see what your tank levels are. That is if you can keep it connected to your phone. For me at least, it seems to work well if I pair everything when we arrive at our campsite and do not leave the area. But if we go off exploring, once we come back and my phone is back in range, I will have to re-sync/pair everything again. It doesn't just pick it back up where you left off, but rather I have to start over from square one again. And by the time it does that, I could have just walked inside the camper and checked levels or physically pushed a button to put the slide in etc. So I don't even bother with the app anymore and just pretend it isn't there.

And don't even get me started on keeping it connected to the Lippert TPMS system. I actually just removed the Lippert Tire-Lync TPMS repeater and sensors from my trailer after this last trip, because (for me at least) is completely useless and a waste of money since it won't stay paired/connected to my phone. A TPMS system that won't show me data in real-time as I am driving down the road is pretty much useless.

I totally agree with Scott'n'Wendy - "you are not missing anything. The app needs a few dozen revisions to become reliable."
              Last edited by BillM321; 08-03-2021, 10:18 AM.
              Bill M.
              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
                I have a 22MLE and there is no touchscreen like I have seen pictures of in the larger 5th wheels and such...
                The Imagine line uses a Grand Design only CompassConnect (proprietary) Convenience Panel that is pre-programmed to the Imagine's floor plan. No other GD line (Reflection, Momentum, etc) uses this implementation scheme for CompassConnect--only the Imagine. (Don't ask me why the lines all implement the system differently...I don't know.)

The Convenience Panel may appear at first glance to be the same as the analog version in the Reflection, but it's not the same!

As mentioned by DarnDave , if there's a bluetooth symbol on the panel the CompassConnect system is installed in the trailer.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	CompassConnect.JPG
Views:	1416
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	62409

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I got the same system as you did, the non compass connect edition. I just wish they would have located it somewhere different also because of that BRIGHT blue light that lights up the entire camper at night. :-)

Comment

I have an Imagine that uses a Grand Design CompassConnect (proprietary) Convenience Panel above. I have had the system paired with my phone before, but now the system will not pair. Pressing the 'Bluetooth' button on the panel no longer seems to put the control unit into "pair mode." the light below the BT button does not light up or blink when pressed. The other function buttons and tank level indicators seem to work fine... The motion sensor works. I've checked the phone to see if it pairs with other Bluetooth devices, it does. I've re-installed the CC Application on the phone (iPhone). Is there a re-set perhaps on / for the panel, and if there is, does it make any sense that re-setting might even help?

Comment

Originally posted by Treadwell View Post
                      I have an Imagine that uses a Grand Design CompassConnect (proprietary) Convenience Panel above. I have had the system paired with my phone before, but now the system will not pair. Pressing the 'Bluetooth' button on the panel no longer seems to put the control unit into "pair mode." the light below the BT button does not light up or blink when pressed. The other function buttons and tank level indicators seem to work fine... The motion sensor works. I've checked the phone to see if it pairs with other Bluetooth devices, it does. I've re-installed the CC Application on the phone (iPhone). Is there a re-set perhaps on / for the panel, and if there is, does it make any sense that re-setting might even help?
                      First--welcome to the forum as I noted that was your first post.

I can't remember a similar circumstance (on an Imagine) where the bluetooth stopped working on the panel. I don't know the answer, but what you suggest is what I'd do first--a complete removal of power from the panel (I think disconnecting from shore power and turning the battery disconnect to "OFF" will do it). Give it about 10-15 seconds for any transient power to siphon off and then turn the battery disconnect back on, then shore power.

If there's still no bluetooth from the panel...unfortunately it may be a bad panel. At that point a consult with Lippert is your best bet as they made the panel for GD. Their customer service is accommodating, too. Their info is here: https://support.lci1.com/contact

Please report back with the resolution!

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Treadwell View Post
                        I like my Compass Connect. The phone does forget it occasionally, requiring me to try different methods to get it to reconnect, the most serious having to uninstall the Compass Connect app (android) and reinstall it. It seems to happen only when the app or the phone does an update.
                        Mike and (RIP Karen)
                        2021 2600RB
                        2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                        X