2020 xplor 231rk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 xplor 231rk

I am trying to determine whether or not my Furrion refrigerator can also run on propane. It does not seem to cool when i try to turn it on and it is not connected to shore power. I have solar panels that came with the trailer for charging the battery but my fridge is not cold. On the data sheet i received it says AC/LP which i assume means it can also run on propane.
    Last edited by Homerjoeyt; 08-02-2021, 09:17 AM.

Homerjoeyt
    According to the Grand Design parts look-up, a Transcend has a 12V only fridge. (See attached picture)
    Are there any switches on the front of your fridge indicating that you can select "gas" or "electric"?

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	1627915003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	62301
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-02-2021, 10:03 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I dont see any switches on the refrigerator

Comment

Homerjoeyt

Is the battery disconnect turned to the on position? , red handle pushed in and turn to the right and handle can not be removed.

Are you sure that the battery is charged and getting charged?

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Battery disconnect is in the on position

Comment

Originally posted by Homerjoeyt View Post
            Battery disconnect is in the on position
            Please take a picture of the data plate from the refrigerator that shows the model # and post it here so we can accurately assist you with this issue.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As per your request
              Attached Files

Comment

As per your request
                The manual for your refrigerator is available here: https://furrion.com/pages/downloads-refrigeration I've attached it to this post for your convenience.

The refrigerator will not run on propane. The only source of power is 12vDC. If the refrigerator is only cooling when connected to shore power there is an issue with your battery.

The reason the refrigerator works on shore power is a device in your trailer called a converter. The converter makes 12vDC from 120vAC shore power. That converted power is running the refrigerator.

When shore power is disconnected, the only source of power is the battery. If the battery is weak or not charging (for whatever reason) the refrigerator will not run.

There is much more information on the specific requirements of your refrigerator in the attached manual.

Howard
                Attached Files
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

My battery shows full charge from the solar panels. I am running off the batteries. I still am not able to get mt fridge to cool. The light comes on when i open the door. I have tried turning the red disconnect switch off and also on with no luck. I would like to boondock this weekend but i am worried about getting my fridge to cool. Battery shows 13 volts

Comment

Homerjoeyt try turning off the solar and checking the battery again. The onboard battery indicators are notorious for LYING. They only care about voltage seen. Almost any charger hooked to the system with or without a battery will make it show 100%. In the mean time, find the battery and check the terminals to ensure they have not managed to work themselves loose. While in there also check (be careful as you will be dealing with acid) the level of the electrolyte in the battery to ensure the lead plates are covered.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I am off tomorrow so i will definitely turn off the solar and re-check my battery. It is a new travel trailer, only been used 4 times so far. I find it strange that the fridge light comes on when i open the door but the fridge compressor does not sound like it is on. Also, my interior lights work fine off the battery also. They are really bright. The fridge has worked before until now.

Comment

I am off tomorrow so i will definitely turn off the solar and re-check my battery. It is a new travel trailer, only been used 4 times so far. I find it strange that the fridge light comes on when i open the door but the fridge compressor does not sound like it is on. Also, my interior lights work fine off the battery also. They are really bright. The fridge has worked before until now.
                        When you state "check the battery" do you have (and know how to use) a multimeter? I agree with Jlawles2 regarding turning off the solar. First check the battery voltage without a load (everything off in the trailer) to get a no-load measurement. Then turn on the refrigerator and measure the voltage again. If it does not change there's an issue with the 'frig because if the interior light is coming on it sure seems apparent power is getting to the unit so it shouldn't be an issue with the fuse to the refrigerator (a problem reported by other owners). If the fuse was blown the light would not come on, either.

So issue (if not battery) could be power not getting to the refrigerator or a component failure inside the refrigerator (compressor, thermostat, or even the dial controller itself that turns the unit on).

Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram fuse.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	62614

Please keep us posted on what you find (and what eventually fixes your problem).

Comment

I am using an ohm meter. I was watching a video earlier on someone that has a new Grand Design that has the same fridge and they had to change the fuse that is in the back. They had to remove the fridge to do it.

Comment

I am using an ohm meter. I was watching a video earlier on someone that has a new Grand Design that has the same fridge and they had to change the fuse that is in the back. They had to remove the fridge to do it.
                            An "ohm meter" is a normally called a "Digital Multimeter" and is capable of measuring voltages as well as resistance ("ohms").

Unless that circuit diagram is incorrect in the manual, the light in the refrigerator can't light if the fuse is blown. Nothing should work if the fuse is bad. Of course, the diagram and reality may be two different things.

If you're unsure about working with electrical components, consider consulting a professional via your dealer or calling Grand Design Customer Service and asking about a mobile technician. The latter (if approved) will not be free--you'll pay the "service fee" to have the person come to you, but it may be quicker than waiting for your dealer to take a look.

good luck--and please (again) follow up when you find the culprit.

Howard

Comment

First question is does it cool when connected to shore power? After that, it could be something as simple as a wire that came loose between the power bus and the compressor. Check and verify grounds. Ohming is not always a good way to test because a bad connection may show continuity but is not capable of carrying the necessary amperage to run components. Ohming is just a quick test for connection. Test voltage apply as much load as possible while reading voltage.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X