No announcement yet.

Fridge exhaust fan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem solved. The fan is working after finding a bad wire connection. Repaired it, turned on the fridge and after a short time the fan kicked on and in a few hours the fridge started cooling down. Thanks to all who shared their advice and experience!
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Comment

Good news!
      Is good to be aware of the fan mounting and have a replacement plan anyway. They will fail at some point and now you know how they work and replacement options.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Question here - off topic a bit. Wile traveling would the fridge in my slide benefit from a small air scoop on the lower cover to force air in and up the back of the fridge. Otherwise I believe both vents see the same air pressure/turbulence as air passes by during travel so the fan is the only thing moving air across the fins.

Also on a side note I get the best cooling with the inside probe attached to the last fin with probe in the plastic holder offset to the right out in the fridge air. Might be worth a try. Thoughts?

Trying to help
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I believe a scoop would be a bad idea. Turbulent air could cause flame out.

Comment

Yoda I can only image how much water would end up in the compartment should you encounter a freak shower while traveling.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Yoda I can only image how much water would end up in the compartment should you encounter a freak shower while traveling.
              Yep your probably right - had not thought of that. Bad idea on my part

Now in reading folks are basically using two set ups. On with the fans right at the cooling fins (above or below), and the other mounted up top to move air out of the compartment. Both seem to work. Anyone have any thought on which might be better. Fans on the fins are small and up top about twice the size. Most don't state the fan CFM or noise level either.

Need to do a bit more reading.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I use these
                https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Mamga.../dp/B00DNKU0S6
                States noise and cfm
                Lasted 5 or 6 years on a previous trailer before becoming noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yep your probably right - had not thought of that. Bad idea on my part

Now in reading folks are basically using two set ups. On with the fans right at the cooling fins (above or below), and the other mounted up top to move air out of the compartment. Both seem to work. Anyone have any thought on which might be better. Fans on the fins are small and up top about twice the size. Most don't state the fan CFM or noise level either.

Need to do a bit more reading.

Keith
                  I've been using these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XWZ5SK...roduct_details
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Blessings everyone,

We are on our first major trip trip in our 2022 (actually 2021.5) 2670MK; we took delivery mid-November. On arrival on travel days, the fresh food section of our Dometic two-way fridge, which only has a few non-critical items in it, is fine, 34-36 degrees F. Overnight it warms anywhere from five to ten degrees with outside ambient temperatures in the low to high seventies.. Next travel day same pattern. Freezer section seems fine, anywhere between 20 and -12 degrees F. Under the assumption that the airflow over the rig created a draft that pulled air out over the fins and out of the air cavity in back of !the refrigerator, I was thinking the fan was just under powered or not working. At our first week long stay without traveling, It seems to have stabilized somewhat at 35 but the ambient outside temperature is in the mid 60s. I have checked the fan in the outside back or the refrigerator and have never observed it running. I used an infrared thermometer in the area and got temperatures between 86 and 116 depending on where I point it. I was thinking about replacing the outside fan under the assumption the installed fan wasn't sufficient. But if the thermostat isn't working a new fan system will be useless. How do I confirm if the fan or thermostat is working?

Thank you in advance and happy New Year!
                    R&R

Comment

Originally posted by rev_robert View Post
                      Blessings everyone,

We are on our first major trip trip in our 2022 (actually 2021.5) 2670MK; we took delivery mid-November. On arrival on travel days, the fresh food section of our Dometic two-way fridge, which only has a few non-critical items in it, is fine, 34-36 degrees F. Overnight it warms anywhere from five to ten degrees with outside ambient temperatures in the low to high seventies.. Next travel day same pattern. Freezer section seems fine, anywhere between 20 and -12 degrees F. Under the assumption that the airflow over the rig created a draft that pulled air out over the fins and out of the air cavity in back of !the refrigerator, I was thinking the fan was just under powered or not working. At our first week long stay without traveling, It seems to have stabilized somewhat at 35 but the ambient outside temperature is in the mid 60s. I have checked the fan in the outside back or the refrigerator and have never observed it running. I used an infrared thermometer in the area and got temperatures between 86 and 116 depending on where I point it. I was thinking about replacing the outside fan under the assumption the installed fan wasn't sufficient. But if the thermostat isn't working a new fan system will be useless. How do I confirm if the fan or thermostat is working?

R&R
                      On the fins at the top of the condensing coil on the back on the right side I think, there is a temp sensor that activates the fan. I think that if you jump the wires on this sensor the fan should come on.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by rev_robert View Post
                        Blessings everyone,

R&R
                        Welcome to the forum, Rev Robert. When you get a chance, please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

What specific model of Dometic refrigerator? I don't want to assume as there are many substitutions on the production line due to supply issues.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                        X