Safety Notice Reminder - LP Gas Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Notice Reminder - LP Gas Detector

I just wanted to remind owners of units from 2013 - 2017 model years. If your unit is more than five years old and you haven't replaced the LP gas detector, it's time to do so. Their expiration date is five years after the unit is put into service. My 2017 Reflection was put into service in October of 2016, so it's about time to replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Alarm 1a.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	63562
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

This struck a little close to home. Mine expired last month.

I'm having issues finding a direct replacement. Like, I can't find a black one anywhere of this model.

What did you end up choosing?

I'm looking seriously at this one:

https://amzn.to/3yR0spu

Funny, even though it has a display, it has a smaller power draw (75mA) versus the original (108mA).

Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

mpking

Mike - it looks like Walmart has them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MTI-Indus...a175b945fe92ff

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        mpking

Mike - it looks like Walmart has them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MTI-Indus...a175b945fe92ff

Jim
        Hmm... Doesn't look like the surfacemount one. Looks kinda like the flush mount one (You have to cut a hole for it to fit into).

I'm going to call a couple of the camper places... but now I'm worried about "New Old Stock". It says 60 months after retail sale, but what about the RV store that's had one on the shelf for 10 years.... Is it ok?
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Hmm... Doesn't look like the surfacemount one. Looks kinda like the flush mount one (You have to cut a hole for it to fit into).

I'm going to call a couple of the camper places... but now I'm worried about "New Old Stock". It says 60 months after retail sale, but what about the RV store that's had one on the shelf for 10 years.... Is it ok?
          I ordered one of the Walmart versions and it should be here Friday. I'll let you know how it works for me. On my current one, the manufacturing date is stamped on the back.

Name:	Propane Alarm 2.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	63632
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Also interesting that on the back, it says it only draws 90mA, instead of the 108 mA silk screened on the front.
            Mike

Comment

Just checked again, buried in the details of the Walmart listing is the part number, and it's the same as your "back" photo.
              I just ordered the last one that walmart has. Mine will be here Friday as well.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I just wanted to remind owners of units from 2013 - 2017 model years. If your unit is more than five years old and you haven't replaced the LP gas detector, it's time to do so. Their expiration date is five years after the unit is put into service. My 2017 Reflection was put into service in October of 2016, so it's about time to replace it.

Name:	Propane Alarm 1a.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	63562
                Thanks, Jim ! I replaced our smoke alarm but did not consider this.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Just checked again, buried in the details of the Walmart listing is the part number, and it's the same as your "back" photo.
                  I just ordered the last one that walmart has. Mine will be here Friday as well.
                  I received the alarm on Friday and it's exactly the same size and profile as the OEM version.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I got mine Friday as well. Mine was manufactured in April of 2021, so I'm not worried about "New Old Stock" issues either.
                    Mike

Comment

Shortly after reading this discussion, my Propane Sensor "End of Life" signal started going off . . . how did it know we were discussing this .
                      I seem to have gotten a little more time out of mine . . . 2014 to 2021 . . . maybe because I shut off all power when the RV is stored? . . . perhaps another reason for a 100% battery disconnect.

Replacement is identical to the original. I got mine through Canadian Amazon, (at their significantly marked up price of $90 Cdn)

Interesting that the 12V circuit for this sensor on the end of the island, also powers the sound system in the slide ??

Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Shortly after reading this discussion, my Propane Sensor "End of Life" signal started going off . . . how did it know we were discussing this .
                        I seem to have gotten a little more time out of mine . . . 2014 to 2021 . . . maybe because I shut off all power when the RV is stored? . . . perhaps another reason for a 100% battery disconnect.

Replacement is identical to the original. I got mine through Canadian Amazon, (at their significantly marked up price of $90 Cdn)

Interesting that the 12V circuit for this sensor on the end of the island, also powers the sound system in the slide ??

Rob
                        Thanks, for the post, Rob. Ours in going into our indoor storage this PM so will address the replacement in the spring. Our battery cutoff of parasitic drains has probably prolonged the life of our propane sensor too.

Your last comment probably explains why our sound system has no parasitic drain as well. We have to re-save our saved stations and saved setting each time we use our battery cutoff.

Thanks, Rob !

Dan
                        Dan & Carol
                        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Is it possible the sensor starts deteriorating after the detector is removed from the sealed packaging, not necessarily the manufacturing date?

2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Is it possible the sensor starts deteriorating after the detector is removed from the sealed packaging, not necessarily the manufacturing date?
                            Packaging was definitely not air tight. Basically a cardboard back with formed plastic cover stapled to it.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Packaging was definitely not air tight. Basically a cardboard back with formed plastic cover stapled to it.

Rob
                              I was thinking that maybe if they were in an enclosure, just not exposed to dust particles, etc. that maybe that would extend the life. I have no idea how they work, but I do know smoke detector's lifespan depends on the environment.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X