No announcement yet.

Safety Notice Reminder - LP Gas Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonestar I think it has to do with the radiation emitter used in detection of particles. Once energized the first time, the emitter activates and never stops.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I just wanted to remind owners of units from 2013 - 2017 model years. If your unit is more than five years old and you haven't replaced the LP gas detector, it's time to do so. Their expiration date is five years after the unit is put into service. My 2017 Reflection was put into service in October of 2016, so it's about time to replace it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Alarm 1a.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	63562
      Mine has expired on my 2016 2800BH. Who knew? Anyways, before I even decide on a replacement part (is there a propane-CO combo unit?) I need to get the existing one off and the wire connectors I can see won't fit through the hole the wires come through. My dealer told me to cut the wires and then splice them back with the new one, but this seems crazy. Should I just remove the faceplate and cut the hole a bit bigger? Doesn't seem like "grand design" to have to mess around on a replacement part that was sure to be changed in 5 years!!
      2017 Imagine 2800BH
      2021 Silverado 3500 HD

Comment

RanXerox

The sensor slides up off the backing plate. Then the backing plate can be unscrewed from the wall and the hole behind it should be large enough to pull the crimp connectors through. This is how it was installed in the first place.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Lonestar I think it has to do with the radiation emitter used in detection of particles. Once energized the first time, the emitter activates and never stops.
          Older post, but is the detector in the unreliable zone after five years of first power up? Or being powered up for 5 years? I had never seen a replacement time printed on an LP detector before.

I understand the 'just replace it' after 5 years, but I'm a detail guy and like to know specifics.
          Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-07-2022, 07:51 AM.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Somewhat related that smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years. Whether in the RV or in the home. So these devices have a limited lifetime to function properly. Same for CO detectors.

Jim

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy
              The LP detector goes into “end of life” mode (similar to smoke detectors) with regular intermittent beeps . . . so, you will have no choice but to disconnect or replace it.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Older post, but is the detector in the unreliable zone after five years of first power up? Or being powered up for 5 years? I had never seen a replacement time printed on an LP detector before. I understand the 'just replace it' after 5 years, but I'm a detail guy and like to know specifics.
                The reason, as I understand it, is because the detector's ability to detect hydrocarbons is questionable after this timeframe due to exposure to contaminants (dust and many other combinations of "stuff"). The following, from https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/i...etectors-Work/ is referencing handheld meters (I think) but the principle and application is similar.

Although gas detectors are generally a reliable technology, with some models capable of lasting up to five years, their proper function is generally dependent on user maintenance, battery inspection and calibration. Calibration is a safety procedure executed to ensure that detectors are measuring the correct level of gas. In addition, the life-span of gas detectors also often depends on the amount of gas vapors to which they are exposed. Contaminated sensors may not register dangerous gas levels, which is why frequent calibration is essential.

A lot of our RVs have MTI Industry detectors. I picked the RV-40 Series at random and read through the manual. I was surprised at the amount of care the manual dictates (some entries written by a lawyer?). The detectors are sensitive, though. From the manual:

HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR DETECTOR
                To keep your detector in good working order, you must;
                 Test the detector weekly. (See “TEST PROCEDURE”)
                 Observe the color of the indicator light on the front of the detector regularly. (See “Operating Instructions”)
                 Vacuum the dust off the detector cover weekly, (more frequently in dusty locations), using the soft brush attachment of your vacuum.
                 Clean the detector cover weekly. Hand wash using a damp cloth, or paper towel. Dry with a soft cloth.
                 DO NOT SPRAY CLEANING AGENTS OR WAXES directly onto the front panel. This action may damage the sensor cause, cause an alarm or cause a detector malfunction.

The last entry above was discussed at school. Stories were told of sensors ruined by cleaning sprays applied to the floor that got into the detector. Another story came from a classmate that has a bulldog who liked to sleep at night near the detector in the kitchen. The problem was the pup frequently had gas, which set off the detector in the middle of the night. My classmate admitted to disconnecting the detector from power--not a good idea. (We teased the guy unmercifully from that point on.)

None of that really answers your question. You'd probably have to contact MTI's Customer Service or maybe Gene will know ( gbkims ) to get the technical "why" that is really what you're asking. If you call MTI please post their response here.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sure blame it on the dog.

Nice detail Howard.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Scott'n'Wendy
                    The LP detector goes into “end of life” mode (similar to smoke detectors) with regular intermittent beeps . . . so, you will have no choice but to disconnect or replace it.

Rob
                    Yes, I understand that part, but I left one in my last trailer for 11 years. No end of life alarm. I tested with an unlit propane torch every spring. Went off so I figured it still worked. But I may have been giving it 1000% more than it is supposed to detect at. I don't know. So I was wondering if lifespan depended on "powered up time", or how long since first powered.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Per the pictures and comments in in post #11 . . . I was wondering the same thing. On the "assumption" that sensor life starts when first powered up rather than on date of manufacturer of the sensor (although I don't know this to be true) I got 87 months (May 14 build to Aug 21 end-of life signal) rather than the 60 months indicated on the device. I would guess that my trailer has been completely powered down for about 1/3 of its life which would more-or-less be the difference between 87 and 60. So . . . maybe it is 60 months of powered-up time . . . which makes sense since the sensor does not have an internal battery, what would power the internal clock that decides when 60 months are up, other than a 12V power source ?

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Per the pictures and comments in in post #11 . . . I was wondering the same thing. On the "assumption" that sensor life starts when first powered up rather than on date of manufacturer of the sensor (although I don't know this to be true) I got 87 months (May 14 build to Aug 21 end-of life signal) rather than the 60 months indicated on the device. I would guess that my trailer has been completely powered down for about 1/3 of its life which would more-or-less be the difference between 87 and 60. So . . . maybe it is 60 months of powered-up time . . . which makes sense since the sensor does not have an internal battery, what would power the internal clock that decides when 60 months are up, other than a 12V power source ?

Rob
                        Rob,

This may (or may not) be based on worse case as in full time use.

Jim

Comment

Please take this with maximum tongue in cheek but part of me wants to say that I solved the problem by painting over the cover, the other part of me doesnt want everyone to think I am crazy

I kinda look at the "do not paint" message as the manufacturer taunting me........ like theyre just daring me to paint over it
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

RanXerox

The sensor slides up off the backing plate. Then the backing plate can be unscrewed from the wall and the hole behind it should be large enough to pull the crimp connectors through. This is how it was installed in the first place.

Rob
                            Thanks - I slid it up and those crimp connectors won't come through the hole. Might be better with the plate off.....or even with a slight trim around the hole with an exacto knife to get the hole larger. Can believe the dealer told me to cut the wires....it's a self serve world these days - with help from experienced people on these forums of course.
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH
                            2021 Silverado 3500 HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Rob
                              I'm not sure how a propane sensor detects propane. The end of life date may not be calculated on run time. It may be based on estimated contamination of the sensor. For example dust and other particulates may occlude the sensor and inhibit it's proper function. The manufacturer may take this into account when calculating when it should be replaced. Of course, I'm just guessing and until someone discusses the rationale with the manufacturer, we won't know the real reason. So for $50 (isn't that $3,946 Canadian) it's cheap insurance to replace it.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                                .. may occlude the sensor..
                                The Forum Word of the Day! (I had to look it up. )

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

occlude

ə-kloo͞d′

intransitive verb
                                1. To cause to become closed; obstruct.
                                2. To prevent the passage of.
                                3. To absorb or adsorb and retain (a substance).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X