Water Heater Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Issue

I just purchased a 2022 Imagine 2600RB. On the first trip the water heater quit after two showers. Hauled it back to the dealer who replaced the 2 amp fuse on the board and repaired a poorly crimped wire to the board and called it good. Took it on the second trip and the water heater quit after two showers. It has a Compass Connect control panel and Dometic water heater. A call to the dealer led me to replace the board on the water heater. When that didn’t work I replaced the thermal fuse. The water heater ran for about 20 minutes and died again. Help would be appreciated as the water heater doesn’t work on propane or electric at present.

Bill Sanders Bill, there is a thread on water heater thermal fuses. Some have found that simply moving it away from the tank a bit helps with them blowing. For a TEMPORARY fix you can bypass the thermal, but be cautious as you loose that level of protection.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Sanders View Post
      I just purchased a 2022 Imagine 2600RB. On the first trip the water heater quit after two showers. Hauled it back to the dealer who replaced the 2 amp fuse on the board and repaired a poorly crimped wire to the board and called it good. Took it on the second trip and the water heater quit after two showers. It has a Compass Connect control panel and Dometic water heater. A call to the dealer led me to replace the board on the water heater. When that didn’t work I replaced the thermal fuse. The water heater ran for about 20 minutes and died again. Help would be appreciated as the water heater doesn’t work on propane or electric at present.
      If the thermal fuse (labeled "cut-off" in diagram below) is opening, that means the water is getting too hot. Just like a regular fuse, the problem is typically not the fuse (it's just an indication of another problem).

Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic.JPG
Views:	1239
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	63615

The thermal device that is supposed to open first is the thermostat ("Fixed Temp Cont T-Stat"). As the name implies, there's no adjustment on this thermostat. Once it reaches operating temperature it should open. When it cools the device closes and the heater turns back on. The Cut-Off opens (permanently!) when the thermostat fails to open.

Long way to write: I'd try replacing the thermostat. Below is what I ordered (carry as a "just in case" spare). I suggest confirming with your dealer that this is the right part for your heater before ordering.

Name:	thermostat part.JPG
Views:	1194
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	63616
      Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If the thermal fuse (labeled "cut-off" in diagram below) is opening, that means the water is getting too hot. Just like a regular fuse, the problem is typically not the fuse (it's just an indication of another problem)...
        Howard is right, that thermostat is common to the propane and electric side, so it's a likely contender. You should be able to test that it's closed with cold water in it with a meter. If it's open and the water is cold then I'd suspect the board is bad again.
        Last edited by howson; 08-16-2021, 01:32 PM. Reason: Edited quote to make response easier to read...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If the thermal fuse (labeled "cut-off" in diagram below) is opening, that means the water is getting too hot. Just like a regular fuse, the problem is typically not the fuse (it's just an indication of another problem).

Name:	schematic.JPG
Views:	1239
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	63615

The thermal device that is supposed to open first is the thermostat ("Fixed Temp Cont T-Stat"). As the name implies, there's no adjustment on this thermostat. Once it reaches operating temperature it should open. When it cools the device closes and the heater turns back on. The Cut-Off opens (permanently!) when the thermostat fails to open.

Long way to write: I'd try replacing the thermostat. Below is what I ordered (carry as a "just in case" spare). I suggest confirming with your dealer that this is the right part for your heater before ordering.

Name:	thermostat part.JPG
Views:	1194
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	63616
          Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
          We also just purchased a 2022 2600RB and are having the same problem. We're staying in it full time for a couple of months in WA for work. The thermal cutoff is repeatedly failing. The dealer i talked to said there was a bad batch of the thermal cutoff fuses and suggested I try replacing it. Which I did...problem solved, nope.
          There are no flue obstructions so thats not it. It fails overnight after working fine for a while. I was running gas/electric at the same time so i switched to gas only. Cutoff failed again.
          I replaced it again and am now running on electric only. So far no issues .
          I have one thermal cutoff left so I am waiting to test on gas again until I receive the T-stat kit i ordered right before reading this thread.
          Bob, Therese & Frankie
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          2016 F150 Platinum 3.5 ecoboost w/maxtow

Comment

Bob Siler -- please post a follow-up to what fixes your issue. Sharing info is the power of an owner's forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you are getting a water heater error light on your control panel, the water heater thermostat may have become unseated and not properly contacting the tank. In this case, the heater will overheat will get shut down by the E.C.O. secondary thermostat. When I had this problem, re-seating the regular thermostat solved my problems.
              Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
              2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Name:	Thermal cuttoff.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	66241Click image for larger version

Name:	Tstat 1.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	66242 While waiting for the T-stat kit the WH failed again on electric only. Bypassed the thermal cutoff and it worked. We were gone for a couple of days, shut everything down left the trailer to visit friends. The T-stat kit arrived Sat and I replaced the T-stat and the thermal cutoff this morning. I did not replace the ECO side as i have no warning light on the Compass board inside. Running on gas and electric again so now it's a waiting game to see if everything holds up. I also tucked the thermal cutoff a little to the right instead of directly over the flu tube where it was originally. Unfortunately i left my meter at home in CA. so I have been throwing parts at it. I think I may go buy one today and leave it in the trailer for future testing.
                Bob, Therese & Frankie
                2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Interesting topic for sure since we just ordered a 2022 Imagine 2600RB yesterday. I am not certain if the newer builds of the 2600RBs will have the Tankless Water Heater or this 6 gal. gas/electric model. What I do hope is that this issue is fixed prior to getting our new RV because if our hot water heater fails, I will suffer the wrath of my wife.
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
                  Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Well no problems after the last fix. Both gas and electric are functioning normally with no problems.
                    Bob, Therese & Frankie
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Working...
                    X