Microwave Circuit Breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave Circuit Breaker

I have a 2021 373FB-R and my Insignia microwave keeps blowing the 15 amp circuit breaker. It is suppose to pull 12.5 amps, but most places I have read say microwaves should have a 20 amp breaker.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, before i replace the breaker.
    Chris & Sheryl
    2019 Ram 2500 Limited
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R

I have the Furrion microwave on a 15 amp breaker and have not had any issues.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If it trips immediately I would check the power connections including the troublesome connector under the slide.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
        If it trips immediately I would check the power connections including the troublesome connector under the slide.
        Its not right away.....sometimes it runs the whole 5 min, other times it trips after a couple of minutes.
        Chris & Sheryl
        2019 Ram 2500 Limited
        2021 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R

Comment

Webracin I'd change the breaker. Breakers are man made things which as we know can have defects when manufactured. Once a breaker trips, it starts to loose some of it's ability to maintain the full load. The more it trips, the easier it becomes.

Also check to see if there are any other items on that circuit that may be drawing power. I.E. converter.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I pulled the 373 FB drawing package which includes a circuit breaker diagram. According to the drawing which is dated 06/14/2017, the microwave should be wired with 12 AWG wire and connected to a 20 amp circuit breaker.

I'd suggest you contact Grand Design customer support at 574-825-9679 to see if they wired yours incorrectly or if there is an unpublished change to the drawing. At the same time, I'd investigate the wiring to see if the receptacle for the microwave is wired to 14 AWG or 12 AWG. If it's 14 AWG, you'll have to stay with the 15 amp breaker. If it's 12 AWG, you could consult with an electrician to see if you can swap out for a 20 amp breaker. A little trick for determining wire size is to compare the stripped wire to a nickel and a dime. If the wire is the thickness of a dime, it's 14 AWG. If it compares to the thickness of a nickel, it's 12 AWG.

Note: Always consult with an electrician before making any changes to wiring or breakers.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X