Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compass Connect - NOT Tech savvy

Hi all,
    Just purchased a Momentum 376THS and I'm trying to figure out how best to utilize the Compass Connect (CC) app. I'm not a tech genius, so my questions may seem pretty stupid to some, but I'm befuddled. I was able to download the One Control app on my Android and get connected with the RV. It seems the Momentum only uses Wi-Fi to connect, so my phone has to be on the RV Wi-Fi which doesn't have internet connectivity. While connected to the RV, my phone is fairly worthless for anything else. It over-rides using cell data or any available wi-fi that has internet capability. So I have to keep switching back and forth. There are several posts regarding adding a SIM card to the Wi-Fi controller (I use AT&T) and some that say a plan has to be purchased from LCI? I'm having a heck of a time finding information on the subject. Is it just assumed everyone knows how to operate this stuff?
    My current AT&T data plan is unlimited, but doesn't allow for hotspotting or tethering. Assuming I adjust my plan to allow it, do I just need to get another sim card for the RV? I don't like the idea of spending extra $$ to have LCI service (additional data line) when we don't use it but a couple of times a month. What have you all done to use this system?
    Any guidance would be helpful and appreciated,
    -Mike
    Mike & Terri Williams
    2022 Momentum 376THS-R
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
    B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited CVO

saucedhog My compass connect is through bluetooth. When I scanned the barcode it connected through bluetooth, hopefully it's a combination and you can do the bluetooth connect vs the wifi.

Others wil chime in about the compass connect. Do a search, someone her was looking to do an different control system, he can probably help you a lot as he dove deep into the dark abyss of how it all works and connects.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

saucedhog to get another sim for the lippert system you would need to add another line and monthly fee to your plan. I was just at the national rally and a few people commented to me that the newer systems have locked modems that require you to purchase the plan from them. You should check with your dealer or Lippert to confirm that.

There are developer settings in Android that allow you to use your mobile data when connected to a WiFi network that's not connected to the internet, but they're not simple to get to, and would need to be toggled on and off so that your WiFi works normally with a network that is on the internet (home for instance). Since you said you're not tech savvy I would not recommend this approach. Trying to switch your connection to Bluetooth as suggested above would be a better solution. Again I would contact Lippert for instructions to do that.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        saucedhog to get another sim for the lippert system you would need to add another line and monthly fee to your plan. I was just at the national rally and a few people commented to me that the newer systems have locked modems that require you to purchase the plan from them. You should check with your dealer or Lippert to confirm that.

There are developer settings in Android that allow you to use your mobile data when connected to a WiFi network that's not connected to the internet, but they're not simple to get to, and would need to be toggled on and off so that your WiFi works normally with a network that is on the internet (home for instance). Since you said you're not tech savvy I would not recommend this approach. Trying to switch your connection to Bluetooth as suggested above would be a better solution. Again I would contact Lippert for instructions to do that.
        Appreciate the feedback. I read the system on Momentum are Wi-Fi only. I've searched for a way to pair the systems, but no luck yet. Will call the dealer and Lippert this week after the holiday. Thank you again
        -Mike
        Mike & Terri Williams
        2022 Momentum 376THS-R
        2021 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Comment

ncitro -- do you use Lippert's OneControl app or GD's CompassConnect app?
          saucedhog
          ​​​wrote "OneControl"...?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            ncitro -- do you use Lippert's OneControl app or GD's CompassConnect app?
            saucedhog
            ​​​wrote "OneControl"...?
            I don't have either one, so not sure. In his original post he states both compass connect and one control, so not sure which one he meant.

Neil Citro

Comment

My 2021 Reflection Compass connects to my phone by Bluetooth.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I don't have either one, so not sure. In his original post he states both compass connect and one control, so not sure which one he meant.
                Sorry for the confusion. Compass Connect I guess is the panel in the RV. One Control is the App by Lippert. I figured they were the same thing with different names since they seem to perform the same function for the RV. My issue is when I use the app and the connection.
                Mike & Terri Williams
                2022 Momentum 376THS-R
                2021 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Comment

The app I use is Compass Connect. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210906-210526_One UI Home.jpg
Views:	1461
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	65248
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by saucedhog View Post

Sorry for the confusion. Compass Connect I guess is the panel in the RV. One Control is the App by Lippert. I figured they were the same thing with different names since they seem to perform the same function for the RV. My issue is when I use the app and the connection.
                    They are similar but different systems. There is a compass connect app, you might have better luck with that rather than the one control app?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD4E3D8A-7F7A-4080-A8FA-188D74D173F3.png
Views:	1420
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	65250

​​​​​​​

Neil Citro

Comment

They are similar but different systems. There is a compass connect app, you might have better luck with that rather than the one control app?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD4E3D8A-7F7A-4080-A8FA-188D74D173F3.png
Views:	1420
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	65250
                      Id say you're right. Will give that a shot. Thanks
                      Mike & Terri Williams
                      2022 Momentum 376THS-R
                      2021 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Comment

When we first picked up our trailer (2020 351M) we used the One Control app to connect to the trailer, via Wifi. There is an option on Android phones that allow you to use "cellular data when wifi internet is not present". Since then either Android broke something (entirely possible) that broke this feature, even though it is still an option, or an update to One Control broke the feature. I'll have to play with some routers to see which is broken.

As for our sim card. The older routers with a "grey" label, you could supply your own SIM card. However, the new units with a "blue" label require the use of LCI sim card.

You can get around this by adding your own wifi gateway and plugging it in to the One Control router.
                        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                          When we first picked up our trailer (2020 351M) we used the One Control app to connect to the trailer, via Wifi. There is an option on Android phones that allow you to use "cellular data when wifi internet is not present". Since then either Android broke something (entirely possible) that broke this feature, even though it is still an option, or an update to One Control broke the feature. I'll have to play with some routers to see which is broken.

As for our sim card. The older routers with a "grey" label, you could supply your own SIM card. However, the new units with a "blue" label require the use of LCI sim card.

You can get around this by adding your own wifi gateway and plugging it in to the One Control router.
                          Thanks for the info. I switched from the One Control to the Compass Connect app this past weekend. It's still WiFi and I switched back and forth several times. I probably wouldn't use the app, except the touch screen panel inside the camper is frustratingly slow! I realize it's a first world problem, but WOW! It's faster to connect to the RV wifi and access the app features standing next to the panel than to try to access on the panel.
                          I don't recall the color of the label, but I'll check that next time I access the camper. My luck it will be blue and I'll need the LCI sim. I don't think I will go that route. More research to do, on what will be the best setup. I appreciate the feedback!
                          -Mike
                          Mike & Terri Williams
                          2022 Momentum 376THS-R
                          2021 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Comment

2022 I can almost guarantee it's blue. I think 2020 is when they started switching them.
                            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                            2020 Momentum 351M
                            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                            X