Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping for new GPS, Garmin 780 + BC30 Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for new GPS, Garmin 780 + BC30 Camera?

In 2010 I purchased a really good truckers GPS, it worked well, then it was stolen. I replaced it with an off brand one that lasted about 6 months. Then I bought a Garmin NUVI, and it worked well for a number of years until the battery cooked off.

We are going boondocking, no cell service.

So I am shopping for a new GPS that does not require cell service nor wifi. I like Garmin. I will look at other brands but Garmin has done well for me for many years and other brands have not.

So I ran across the 780 6.95" inch screen for $399, it will take the Garmin BC30 camera. I really would like to add a back up camera to my 41' 5th wheel. Looks like I can get a 50' extension cord for the camera. I had one before, sometimes the magic worked and sometimes it didn't. What was fun was the receiver would sometimes pick up security camera signals when I drove by some stores. But that was many years ago when the technology was in it's infancy.

Anyone ever try this combination? Does work well? or just kinda?

I know from past experience getting the transmitter and receiver hooked up with line of site is best.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

d2reid I like the various Garmin units and have had good service out of them over the years. None of them are perfect and must be kept updated. As for cameras I have no experience.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
      In 2010 I purchased a really good truckers GPS, it worked well, then it was stolen. I replaced it with an off brand one that lasted about 6 months. Then I bought a Garmin NUVI, and it worked well for a number of years until the battery cooked off.

So I am shopping for a new GPS that does not require cell service nor wifi. I like Garmin. I will look at other brands but Garmin has done well for me for many years and other brands have not.

So I ran across the 780 6.95" inch screen for $399, it will take the Garmin BC30 camera. I really would like to add a back up camera to my 41' 5th wheel. Looks like I can get a 50' extension cord for the camera. I had one before, sometimes the magic worked and sometimes it didn't. What was fun was the receiver would sometimes pick up security camera signals when I drove by some stores. But that was many years ago when the technology was in it's infancy.

I know from past experience getting the transmitter and receiver hooked up with line of site is best.
      I was looking at the RV890 and it f I was to buy one it would be that one.

We us the RV Life app for navigation. When service is spotty we can download the maps and navigation to our device. Cell service would not be needed.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I just bought a garmin 780-RV and really like it so far. I believe the only difference between it and the 890 and 1090 is screen size. Someone can correct me if i am wrong.
        Bryan & Shelia
        2008 chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax
        2021 GD 376THS MM

Comment

Made me go back and look at the differences. Different map sets. I thought the 1090 had a dash cam, but it didn't, the RV785 is the only one with a dash cam. The 785 also has a new magnetic mount.

I bought the 780 and the BC30 camera. I am in the process of installing the camera on my 41' Momentum using the 50' extension cable. I ran the cable under the RV tying into the chloroplast underbelly using zip ties and stainless sheet metal screws. The 50'cable just reached the hitch, running under to the propane cubby, then through the wall into front compartment. I wanted to run it inside then but couldn't get a fish through the insulation, so popped it out and zip tied it into the overhang ceiling.

I tied the power into the break away switch power supply. I found another one of those mega-nut multi wire connections in the junction box inside the hitch, I hate those things, there was one wire hanging loose, I have no idea where it went and why something was not working, but ground the camera in that bundle. Now to try and figure out the real value of the 150MA power draw. 0.15 amps, constant drain. That may come back on me while we are boondocking.

I'll spend most of today weather proofing the connections and cinching the cable guides down so they remain secure. Unfortunately we are on a gravel site so I get to crawl around under the RV on gravel.

The camera sending unit is getting mounted on the top of the hitch. I hope my drill bits hold up to putting a small hole in that thick hitch, mostly it will be held on with 3m mounting tape. That puts the sending unit about 10' away from the receiver in line of sight. On tests it works perfectly. I get a kick out of the receiver picking up other peoples camera's, as I drive around the park the camera app in the GPS will pop on and let me look at what there cameras are pointed at. Mostly the woods.

I'll need to weather proof the electrical connections, won't fit into the junction box.

Comment

d2reid

This may be a good time to upgrade the trailer wire connection box from the metal box with wire nuts to the plastic box with posts for wiring, just trying to give you something else to do.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

d2reid I second upgrading the metal box to a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as there was a magnitude of various connectors from wire nuts to Wago connectors in mine. I don't know how they got all of it to work.

Side note you may also be interested in https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to clean up some of the other connections. I did my ground abomination with one so I could ensure everything had a good connection.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Good luck with your install as far as those multi wire connectors i have those as well. I have had to put a piece of electrical tape on my. Might not be a good idea but it worked.

Bryan & Shelia
                2008 chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax
                2021 GD 376THS MM

Comment

Country Campers; thanks Brian. I was feeling a bit bored. I will add that to my honey do list, aka the Man List. It's a running list that my wife keeps adding stuff to.

Jlawles2; Good suggestions, there are lots of options out there. There are lots of wires in that box, it stuffed. And then there was the time I forgot to unplug the trailer/truck cord.... It does need some work.

campman; Simple is good. But I really hate those mega-nut wraps, they always fail, granted, it takes 5-7 years sometimes, but you just can't stuff that many wires into a twist nut, jiggle it on the highways, and expect it to stay together.

Comment

Dallas

Glad to help out. Plenty here have helped me over the years with the "LIST" that seems to never end, I even think that you have helped me, so I just try to pass it on when ever needed.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Hi Dallas

I have the Garmin 660 with the BC camera. I also did the extension cord. I wired it to the running light on the passenger side. I mounted the camera to the hinge bolt of the ramp down low.

I still use the phone with Google map for backup navigation. KEN
                      2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
                      Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
                      10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

Hi Dallas,

I have a Garmin 760 with a BC30 camera. I also used the 50 ft extension cable to put the camera transmitter in the front compartment of the trailer and have never had a problem with lost signal. I did find the camera with its wide angle fisheye lens to be rather useless for monitoring what was behind the trailer while travelling. Not enough depth of field. I did not find myself ever looking at the camera while backing the trailer . . . so, I moved the camera to be able to watch my trailer tires and suspension. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...spension-tires

WRT Garmin . . . I find their navigation capability to be getting worse with every map and software update. When I got the system several years ago, the navigation made sense and when I went a different route, the corrections made sense. Now . . . if I go off the original route, the Garmin system continues to try and get back to that route, even doubling back miles past a shorter route to the destination. I am not a fan of Garmin's current navigation abilities.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          Hi Dallas,
                          WRT Garmin . . . I find their navigation capability to be getting worse with every map and software update.
                          Rob
                          Unfortunately I must agree. Practicing with dual GPS systems in our current location the Garmin has not performed well as compared to GGL maps. But inner city driving is not why I purchased a non-internet GPS navigation tool. We are headed to SW Utah and Lake Powell boondocking; no cell service, no GGL maps, also, a lot less complicated road system that has been in place without change for many years.

Pilotage is still the best navigation tool around. Using the old noggin to figure things out. The E-tools help some, but common sense still rules.

Comment

I believe I have the Garmin 780. Never had an issue with 4,000+ miles of towing the trailer with it. Just put your height in and it should route around all known low bridges.
                            2020 GD 320G
                            2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

I have a few hundred miles on my 890. Love the screen size. With a touch on the screen I can change route. I took all back roads from Upstate NY to Lake Erie. And ohio.

Then highways from Ohio into Kentucky. has worked extremely well. The system is based on Android. very fast when getting a route or recalculate on route you change. Warns of sharp curves and steep hills. Got mine from Technorv and it came with a lot of helpful videos.

Highly recommend. and you can get a backup camera .
                              2018 337RLS
                              720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                              X