Residential Fridge 12 volt or 120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Fridge 12 volt or 120?

I am going to replace our Norcold absorption fridge with a residential one. I was all set to get a residential 120 volt Samsung from Lowes that will fit. We were just at the Hershey RV show and I saw the new Reflection 337 with a 12 volt residential Furion fridge. It looked real nice. I spoke with the Grand Design rep and he said they did a lot of testing before deciding to go 12 volt. He suggested 12 volt was the way to go.

I wonder if one works better than the other. Seams 12 volt are now coming on line where 120 volt have been around for a long time.

We are on our way back home to WI now and they have the Samsung in stock but the Furion would need to be ordered and not sure when I could get it.

So my question for those of you who have made the change which one is better, 12 volt or 120? I have 1200 watts solar, 4 BB batteries, 3000 Multiplus II, and DC/DC charger so I think I am covered on power either way.

Thanks
    John
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Originally posted by John L View Post
    I am going to replace our Norcold absorption fridge with a residential one. I was all set to get a residential 120 volt Samsung from Lowes that will fit. We were just at the Hershey RV show and I saw the new Reflection 337 with a 12 volt residential Furion fridge. It looked real nice. I spoke with the Grand Design rep and he said they did a lot of testing before deciding to go 12 volt. He suggested 12 volt was the way to go.

I wonder if one works better than the other. Seams 12 volt are now coming on line where 120 volt have been around for a long time.

We are on our way back home to WI now and they have the Samsung in stock but the Furion would need to be ordered and not sure when I could get it.

So my question for those of you who have made the change which one is better, 12 volt or 120? I have 1200 watts solar, 4 BB batteries, 3000 Multiplus II, and DC/DC charger so I think I am covered on power either way.

Thanks
    John
    If you've already got the inverter and batteries I'd go 120v. Howard (@howson) and I have done it and it's great. The 12v is probably more efficient but the residential is more "standard" and will be easier to get parts for if needed. Plus you'll have more selection in refrigerators Ave features like door configuration size and water/ice.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

make certain that you run large enough wire. we had a class c with either or and the wire and connections would not pass enough watts. problem solved by sale of unit.
      2021 Solitude 390RK
      No truck - don't travel

Comment

Working...
      X