Norcold 2118M burner making a popping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 2118M burner making a popping sound

We have a 4 month old Norcold 2118M that recently started making a semi regular (every second or so) popping sound. I visually checked the burner and it all looks clean, no debris noticable. The flame looks good in that it is consistent across all the nozzles, is nice and blue with virtually no orange. That is where the popping is coming from though as the flame disappears for a fraction of a second when it pops.
    I'm not sure, could altitude make a difference as we are a couple hundred feet below sea level at the moment in Death Valley?
    Could bad propane cause this?
    Suggestions.
    Thanks -Rob-
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

The "popping" sound , to me , sounds like to much oxygen. Not sure how you would combat this issue.
    Have you used the burners at any other location , higher altitudes?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
      We have a 4 month old Norcold 2118M that recently started making a semi regular (every second or so) popping sound. I visually checked the burner and it all looks clean, no debris noticable. The flame looks good in that it is consistent across all the nozzles, is nice and blue with virtually no orange. That is where the popping is coming from though as the flame disappears for a fraction of a second when it pops.
      I'm not sure, could altitude make a difference as we are a couple hundred feet below sea level at the moment in Death Valley?
      Could bad propane cause this?
      Suggestions.
      Thanks -Rob-
      KamFlyer (Rob),
      If your water heater is visible on the exterior (what model GD do you have?), what does that flame look like? Same popping? If the water heater runs without an issue, I'd guess it's not altitude or the propane source but something specific to the Norcold. If the water heater also has a flame issue, then there's a propane supply issue.

What I've described above is a very general troubleshooting step--I'm not very proficient in the propane area of our trailers.

colan -- any troubleshooting tips for Rob?

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the replies gents. All our other propane appliances are running fine. What is frustrating is the popping isn't consistent. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not; sometimes more noticeable than at other times. It seemed to start after we arrived at Death Valley though.
        -Rob-
        Last edited by KamFlyer; 11-04-2019, 10:22 AM.
        -
        Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
        2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
        Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

My Grand Design 2020 Solitude 310GK with a Norcold 2118 SSM2 refrigerator just started doing this exact same thing .....all other aspects of the propane system work exactly as designed.....we have had this unit only 6 weeks....any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post
            My Grand Design 2020 Solitude 310GK with a Norcold 2118 SSM2 refrigerator just started doing this exact same thing .....all other aspects of the propane system work exactly as designed.....we have had this unit only 6 weeks....any thoughts.
            What's crazy is if you google "Norcold RV refrigerator popping" there's quite a few links. Some of the threads on other forums go back to 2010!

This is probably what you're experiencing:

On a irv2.com forum thread from 2010 the "RV Wizard" recommended first to:
            ...check the working pressure of the LP gas system? It needs to be 11" water column. It is critical you start here.

I don't know what that means as I am not a propane expert nor have I ever attempted to measure the pressure.

The OP in the thread tried many fixes until finally he ordered a new burner which fixed the problem. I finally had the time to replace the burner with a newly purchased one. It was about $70.00 delivered. Easy out and in. Viola! It seems to have cured the popping. There was either a leak allowing air to enter or debris/deformity disrupting the flow of gas.

If you're not knowledgeable of propane systems (like me) I strongly advise against a DIY fix. Call your dealer and schedule a service visit.

If a dealer repair is not feasible call Grand Design Customer Service at 574-825-9679. Have your VIN handy as they'll need it. GD may authorize a mobile repair technician to come to you, but keep in mind the service fee will be paid by you, not GD. GD will cover the cost of the repair, but not the fee for the technician to come to you so be prepared for that out-of-pocket expense.

Please post back with results!

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard....that video is exactly the issue.....on my unit the popping is much more frequent but still it is exactly the issue. I will reach out to Grand Design Customer Service and see what is possible. My dealer is about an hour away....plus I am not sure they are even open as many businesses are shut down with this COVID-19 issue thought I would reach out and ask the community for solutions as often times things are pretty simple and on more than one occasion something obvious was overlooked. Really appreciate your feedback and input.

Comment

I am having the same issue with my Norcold 2118 4 door refrigerator. My dealer installed a new burner, but it did not solve the problem. A mobile tech told me that Norcold recently issued a service kit that is supposed to fix this problem. (Service Kit # 640452). I'm not sure if Grand Design is aware of the service kit yet. The kit includes a sleeve that is installed on the burner tube in the fridge. I think it is designed to regulate the air flow to the burner. The kit has arrived from Norcold. I will be bringing my rig back to the dealer in the next week or two to have it installed. I will let you know if it solves the problem.
                Last edited by Keith M; 04-23-2020, 07:01 PM.
                Keith and Lisa
                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
                2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Duramax Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                  I am having the same issue with my Norcold 2118 4 door refrigerator. My dealer installed a new burner, but it did not solve the problem. A mobile tech told me that Norcold recently issued a service kit that is supposed to fix this problem. (Service Kit # 640452). I'm not sure if Grand Design is aware of the service kit yet. The kit includes a sleeve that is installed on the burner tube in the fridge. I think it is designed to regulate the air flow to the burner. The kit has arrived from Norcold. I will be bringing my rig back to the dealer in the next week or two to have it installed. I will let you know if it solves the problem.
                  Thank you for the post. GDRV-Megan -- can you confirm that there is a kit from Norcold available that is applicable to units in GD trailers for the popping issue? RV4FUN ... stay tuned...

Comment

I spoke with a customer service rep at Norcold….he shared the replacement of the burner as a likely solution....he also mentioned the sleeve but without diagnosis it couldn't be determined if just the burner or both was needed to resolve this issue. However, he also shared Norcold was not shipping for awhile (also the sleeve could not be shipped directly to a consumer). so not sure where that leave me as my dealer is shut down indefinitely with the Covid 19 issue.....I cannot even leave a message with them as they are not answering the phone. The popping is annoying but not disabling. I will be patient...and wait.

Comment

I don't know what models or years are covered by this kit. I have a 2020 Solitude 310GK with the Norcold 2118 fridge that I purchased in May of 2019. I will try to find out more information when I finally get into the dealer for repair.
                      Keith and Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Thank you for the post. GDRV-Megan -- can you confirm that there is a kit from Norcold available that is applicable to units in GD trailers for the popping issue? RV4FUN ... stay tuned...
                        I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of this kit. I have double checked with our warranty team, and they have not heard of this either. I would say your best solution in this situation is to deal with Norcold directly. RV4FUN

Comment

The dealer installed the burner service kit from Norcold. (service kit 640452). It did not solve the flame popping problem. I will continue to work with Grand Design and Norcold to find a solution. Frustrating.
                          Keith and Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                            The dealer installed the burner service kit from Norcold. (service kit 640452). It did not solve the flame popping problem. I will continue to work with Grand Design and Norcold to find a solution. Frustrating.
                            Ugh. Thanks for the update. That 640452 part number is listed in the 1210 series parts list but there's no illustration of the item. https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...0_20191223.pdf

GDRV-Megan--FYSA and possible intervention on Keith M 's behalf?

Comment

My brand new Norcold is doing the same thing, just FYI. Hasn't been in to the dealer yet, but I'll see what they say when it goes in.
                              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                              2020 Momentum 351M
                              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X