Coax exit strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coax exit strategy

I am going to run coax cable through the RV ceiling and am trying to decide whether to come out the roof or the back wall (aluminum on Transcend) near my Weboost antenna mast. I would appreciate opinions on the best way to do this. On the roof, I would use butyl tape underneath and self-leveling sealant. On the back, I would use butyl tape and lap sealant. I'm thinking the roof would be more efficient to do. Also, how do I add another outlet for the booster?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYLH1LX...gi6VSrVEN22VBs
    Last edited by BillinTexas; 10-03-2021, 07:18 PM.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

My first concern with doing a project like that would be water intrusion, especially with possibly putting a new exit point in the roof. The nice part about an exit point on the wall, is it would allow you to do a drip loop in the cable to ensure water doesn't follow the cable into the trailer. However, lots of people use those cable entry boxes like you linked so you're probably okay going that route. I guess it would also come down to how easy is it to get the cable to each exit point.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO , thanks for the response. Your comment on the drip loop is the very reason for seeking input from people. I hadn't thought about that part of it. I pulled two light fixtures yesterday to look inside with a lighted probe. The back wall near where the mast stands would be ideal. My concern is making sure to drill in the right place. I need to measure off the window I suppose as it is the only point of reference that I can see. Appreciate the comments.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

To add another "where to drill the hole" , I would drill upwards at an angle when drilling thru a wall , not that it will make a huge difference but it will keep your wire at an angle that water should not run up the wire , or down if you drill at a downward angle, that would not be goood.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers , I assume upward is from the inside? Makes sense.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

What sealant would be recommended?
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
              Country Campers , I assume upward is from the inside? Makes sense.
              Upwards from the outside in, the hole on the outside of the wall should be lower than the inside.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers , agreed. It was pretty early. (grins)
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Put a clamshell cover over the cable entrance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211004-065755_Chrome.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	67189
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Ted, thanks for the comment. I have already purchased the item referenced above.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

No problem BillinTexas, I'm assuming that since you are running the coax through the attic of the RV, that you want to terminate it at the interior roof somewhere, like for a cell booster or something? Just throwing it out there, but have you considered running the coax down the outside wall of the trailer all the way to the underbelly, then run your cable through there and come up into the interior through the floor? That way you don't have to drill a hole in your wall or roof, but you would still want to seal the cable entry in the floor.
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO , I did consider that option thinking possibly of coming up near a water pump line but really don't care for the sight of a line running down the exterior wall. Our Transcend is not very large so the run isn't really far. I plan to bring it in behind the TV for a clean look.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

I looked at the construction illustrations on the GD website but couldn't see what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if the extreme rear roof framing is solid or "truss" like the rest of the roof. I will be going through the back wall and I thank everyone for the great suggestions. They will be taken into account. I plan to try and video this.
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

I plan to document this with photos but with items like lights, control panel already removed.
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

I finished the process of installing the coax cable to the TV area and mounting the internal antenna and booster of our Weboost. This worked very well on a recent trip and we streamed TV in a park where never possible before. I am going to add a number of photos and will attempt a narrative if possible. I used an inexpensive fiberglass rod fishing kit. The nylon, bendable tip that came with it proved invaluable.

**I first ran the rods from the TV area light into the bathroom light fixture hole. I was very slow to do it and never forced anything. I would want to hang up on the trusses but the bent nylon tip helped around those.
                              **After determining I could get through the ceiling, I measure off the bathroom window on the back wall to determine where to mark for drilling the hole through the bulkhead. There isn't much room for error. The back wall is about 26" from the bathroom light hole in our Transcend.
                              **It took a little bit of fishing to get to the hole but didn't take long. The cable was through the back wall and into the ceiling. I used butyl tape under the single cable entry gland and screwed it to the wall. I will seal it when I determine where the leaks in the gutter are and do it all at once.
                              **Next I attached the cable to the rod and pulled it through to the main area in front of the TV. (Tip, make sure your electrical tape for taping cable to rod isn't old and been sitting in a hot garage forever. Messy)
                              **I didn't shoot a pic of this but I pushed the cable to area behind the TV where all the wires are. I killed the power and stuck my hand in the insulation to find it. I then grabbed the cable with a hook and pulled it through the grommet where the RCA jack cable comes through.
                              **I mounted the booster with the internal antenna behind/to the side of the TV. The antenna can be tucked in for travel and pulled out for use.
                              **I added (2) two-port USB fixtures while having the control panel removed though I used power from the radio unit.

Everything is very neat and its place now as you can see.
                              Attached Files
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X