Water Heater ModelWH6GEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater ModelWH6GEA

Just purchased a 2021 reflection 303RLS. When the water heater is on propane it works fine.
    However it sounds like a jet engine times. The flame surges and no there is no constant flame.
    normally I would adjust the air shutters to balance the air and gas mixture. However I see no air shutters.
    Am I missing something?
    How do you adjust the air/ gas mixture?
    Please advise

Coops Click image for larger version

Name:	FF610755-6A6B-41EA-80EC-323179A8D40C.jpeg
Views:	840
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	67242
    Cooper
    2021 303RLS
    2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Not saying it isn't the WH but this sure sounds like a regulator problem. Try using one propane tank and then the other and see if this makes any difference.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      Not saying it isn't the WH but this sure sounds like a regulator problem. Try using one propane tank and then the other and see if this makes any difference.
      Thanks for the reply…switched tanks as suggested…no difference.

Any and all suggestions/ ideas welcome.

coops

Cooper
      2021 303RLS

Comment

I am curious too... I have the same model water heater. I operated it on gas for the first time this week which resulted in a large orange/yellow flame in the burner tube and soot up the back wall. I removed/cleaned the gas tube and still had incomplete combustion. Water heater works fine on electric.
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
          I am curious too... I have the same model water heater. I operated it on gas for the first time this week which resulted in a large orange/yellow flame in the burner tube and soot up the back wall. I removed/cleaned the gas tube and still had incomplete combustion. Water heater works fine on electric.
          I left a message with Domestic…will advise when I hear back.
          Cooper
          2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post

Thanks for the reply…switched tanks as suggested…no difference.

Any and all suggestions/ ideas welcome.

coops
            Switching DOT Cylinders removed them as a suspect, but the regulator output orifice is the same regardless of which cylinder is selected.

If there's another regulator you can try, that's the easiest way to determine if the regulator is the issue. Unlikely two different regulators will have the same problem.

If you don't have access to another regulator, consider asking your dealer (or an RV technician) to check the regulator's output to ensure it is 11" of water column. 11" of water column is a measurement of pressure (like psi) that the propane system requires at a specific setting to work correctly in our RVs. (It's a very low psi and requires a special tool to measure accurately.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What Howard said. If the problem persist regardless of which tank is open then I would suspect and test down line of the primary regulator (the one that allows you to switch from one tank to the other).
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I left a message with Domestic…will advise when I hear back.
                Dometic got back to me….Their response. Should have known…this is not my first RV Warranty rodeo. Will try a different regulator.

Dometic warranty requires that all repairs be performed by an authorized service center. They will trouble shoot and diagnose your unit to contact Dometic to obtain authorization to provide warrantable repairs. Local service center may be located atwww.dometic.com or if you would like to provide a city and state we can provide a list for you. Service centers may provide mobile service, however Dometic warranty does not reimburse for the mobile fee.”
                Cooper
                2021 303RLS

Comment

Dometic got back to me….Their response. Should have known…this is not my first RV Warranty rodeo. Will try a different regulator.

Dometic warranty requires that all repairs be performed by an authorized service center. They will trouble shoot and diagnose your unit to contact Dometic to obtain authorization to provide warrantable repairs. Local service center may be located atwww.dometic.com or if you would like to provide a city and state we can provide a list for you. Service centers may provide mobile service, however Dometic warranty does not reimburse for the mobile fee.”

Folks…before I try a new regulator I have questions. when running the fridge on propane there is no gas surging or jet engine sound from the fridge so if it was a regulator issue wouldn’t t it affect the the fridge as well?

any comments or advise appreciated

coops
                  Cooper
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Folks…before I try a new regulator I have questions. when running the fridge on propane there is no gas surging or jet engine sound from the fridge so if it was a regulator issue wouldn’t t it affect the the fridge as well?

any comments or advise appreciated

coops
                    Yes. Regulator issue should affect the fridge and also the gas range and furnace.

Bob
                    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by RJAPCOK View Post

Yes. Regulator issue should affect the fridge and also the gas range and furnace.

Bob
                      Thanks….fridge,oven,stove and furnace all operate fine.
                      not sure why the hot water tanks roars. Typically there is an air shuttle to adjust, nothing on this one.

coops
                      Cooper
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Just purchased a 2021 reflection 303RLS. When the water heater is on propane it works fine.
                        However it sounds like a jet engine times. The flame surges and no there is no constant flame.
                        normally I would adjust the air shutters to balance the air and gas mixture. However I see no air shutters.
                        Am I missing something?
                        How do you adjust the air/ gas mixture?
                        Please advise

Coops
                        How long has it been doing this? Did it just start? or has it been doing it forever?

This is just a guess... could the "no constant flame" issue be that the burner is igniting, and going out and re-igniting? What I would do is check for loose or dirty connections, and I would check the gap at the igniter. Should be 1/8". A 1/8" allen wrench makes a good guage.

One other thought I just had is the ground on the gas valve. Voltage should be supplied from the control module to the gas valve by the red wire. Low or intermittent voltage on this wire, or an intermittent ground on the gas valve, may cause the gas valve to fluctuate leading to a "less than constant flame".

I hope this helps.
                        Bob
                        Last edited by RJAPCOK; 10-17-2021, 09:18 PM.
                        Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by RJAPCOK View Post

How long has it been doing this? Did it just start? or has it been doing it forever?

This is just a guess... could the "no constant flame" issue be that the burner is igniting, and going out and re-igniting? What I would do is check for loose or dirty connections, and I would check the gap at the igniter. Should be 3/16". A 3/16" allen wrench makes a good guage.

I hope this helps.
                          Bob
                          Being doing this since we bought it new 1st September 2021. Unfortunately have only used the hot water tank on propane for about 7 days out of 14 days. The other 7 days on electric.

I should have had this checked out by the dealer…just forgot.

many thanks will check this out.

coops

Cooper
                          2021 303RLS

Comment

Cooper I revised my post #12. Gap should be 1/8" not 3/16". Also added thought on gas valve.

I hope this helps.
                            Bob
                            Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Cooper Coops, if the HWH is not lighting at all, but the spark is popping and the gas valve are opening, try checking the air mixing tube for any type of obstruction. Spider webs will cause havoc on diagnosing them. One would not thing that a simple spider web would stop them from working, but it will cause all kinds of issues.

Even Mud dobbers, caterpillars, or insect eggs have been found and caused issues. Remember Propane exits the jet (name does not fit) at 11 INCHES OF WATER (IIRC) and that's less than 1PSI. so any change in the tube diameter creates mixing and flow issues.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X