No announcement yet.

Keeping Refrigerator on when Traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Refrigerator on when Traveling?

I've read somewhere that you should not travel with the refrigerator running on LP. I understand the thinking on this, but aren't they designed to do this. Else besides ice how do you keep the refrigerator cold?

Originally posted by Melbarjr View Post
    I've read somewhere that you should not travel with the refrigerator running on LP. I understand the thinking on this, but aren't they designed to do this. Else besides ice how do you keep the refrigerator cold?
    Hi there! I've moved your post to the Appliance section of the Technical forum as you will probably get more answers over there. I found a thread that discussed this subject that you may find helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures

Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It will be helpful if you'll fill out your signature line with basic info (year, model, etc) like you see in Andi and my posts. Not sure how? Check out this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-add-or-edit

For your specific question, you'll get many, many opinions on whether it is OK to tow with propane on. Individuals have towed for years with their propane refrigerator running without incident. However, I bet your Grand Design manual states (like my Reflection's manual): Turn OFF all propane appliances and equipment (including the tanks) are BEFORE departing on a trip. Kind of difficult to run a propane refrigerator with the propane tanks off.

BL--this issue ultimately comes down to your tolerance for risk. TucsonJim (one of the moderators) has done extensive testing and has concluded that the risk of food getting too warm (with the refrigerator off) is very, very high. I can't seem to find his research here, but hopefully he'll chime in shortly.

What I've done personally on my trailer is install an inverter and battery bank that allows me to run the refrigerator on electricity while towing. (VERY expensive option.)

So the questions are: how often will you tow, how risk adverse are you, and are you willing to transfer items to coolers (or stuffing the refrigerator full of ice) prior to departure?

For further information, here's an article you may find interesting: http://rvlife.com/rv-propane-system-explode/
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome. As howson has said, you may end up with many divergent answers on this often-asked question.

My usual contribution is to relate that we just turn off the fridge and travel. We have an 18cf Norcold. We keep the fridge in the mid-high-thirties while we're camped, try to avoid opening it in the hours before our departure, and then just turn it off and leave. We've done quite a few trips of up to about six-seven hours' duration in 70-80 degree temps, and found at the end that our food was still plenty cold and our ice cubes just starting to loosen in their trays.

We've been pleasantly surprised by this, and have seen reports by others saying their fridge does not do as well, but it's working for us. Saves propane and the risks (and law-breaking in some places) of running propane on the road.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

As Howard mentioned, I did some pretty extensive studies on smaller RV refrigerators and published my findings. I like to use data to manage risk. The primary risks are propane related fires vs. food pathogens. Take a look at the study attached to the first post in this thread:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures

The data tells me that if I'm going to be operating for most of the day in a warm environment, that I would have a greater risk of food born bacteria. I run with the propane on to mitigate this risk at the risk of a propane fire.

Some owners like Howard are running their refrigerators on electric through an inverter. In fact, I'm currently upgrading my solar charging capability in order to do the same thing myself. But, there may be a different option in the future. GDRV is looking into 12V refrigerators that could be used while on the road. Check out this thread to see more information.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ators-interest

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This is not scientific - just anecdotal evidence from personal experience. Have over 35,000 miles under the keel in a little over four years as full-timers. We travel with the frig operating on propane all the time. Have never had a problem. Like Jim, I'm concerned about food-borne pathogens. We will order our new Solitude with a residential frig which will run off the batteries and inverter while under way.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I have been so worried about traveling with propane fridge on because I have seen those propane lines just riding above my drivers side tires. But as studies posted show, extreme temps have me worried about food borne illness. This summer it was one of the hottest temps through all areas on our route. We chose to take our chances and left the fridge running. I stumbled upon this product that would shut off any gas even left in lines in case of an accident. What do you guys think about this?

https://changinglanesrv.com/gasstop-...pane-shut-off/

https://gasstopusa.com/
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                I have been so worried about traveling with propane fridge on because I have seen those propane lines just riding above my drivers side tires. But as studies posted show, extreme temps have me worried about food borne illness. This summer it was one of the hottest temps through all areas on our route. We chose to take our chances and left the fridge running. I stumbled upon this product that would shut off any gas even left in lines in case of an accident. What do you guys think about this?

https://changinglanesrv.com/gasstop-...pane-shut-off/

https://gasstopusa.com/
                I bought the Gas Stops (they were sold at the National Rally) but I didn't like how the propane line rubbed against the propane enclosure. That contact was sure to cause chaffing over time. I returned them (they were well aware of the issue). I asked about a 90 degree version and they admitted they've given it a lot of thought but haven't come up with a product (yet). My conclusion--great for fifth wheels, not so great for travel trailers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Stop.JPG
Views:	1447
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	6844
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson - Couldn't you have rotated the bottles so that the valves turned towards the regulator. Then the cover might have fit better.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    howson - Couldn't you have rotated the bottles so that the valves turned towards the regulator. Then the cover might have fit better.

Jim
                    I tried, but that kinked the hose even more than it was already or stretched it, depending on how I twisted the bottle. After about an hour of fussing with it I determined I was adding more risk than avoiding by adding the Gas Stop. Chad's (Changing Lanes) installation is in a Momentum where there's a lot more room in that bay for the bottle. Perfect application for the product.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      My conclusion--great for fifth wheels, not so great for travel trailers.
                      One more thought on this then we need to get back to the OP's topic!

I talked with the guy that runs https://propanegear.com/ and asked about a 90 degree connection. Visualize after the large black plastic Acme fitting that there's a 90 degree brass fitting with a male connector (like what's on the propane bottle and also on the Gas Stop). Then connect the Gas Stop, and finally a short (custom length hose) connection to the regulator. None of that is available off-the-shelf and must be custom made. Not enough of a priority to shell out the $$.

This is a (very rough) sketch to convey the idea of what I'm thinking:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gas Stop 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.3 KB ID:	6849

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I bought the Gas Stops (they were sold at the National Rally) but I didn't like how the propane line rubbed against the propane enclosure. That contact was sure to cause chaffing over time. I returned them (they were well aware of the issue). I asked about a 90 degree version and they admitted they've given it a lot of thought but haven't come up with a product (yet). My conclusion--great for fifth wheels, not so great for travel trailers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gas Stop.JPG Views:	0 Size:	189.5 KB ID:	6844
                        Howard, other than the attachment issues with the Gas Stop on a TT, do you think it actually works as described? I think that would be the answer to my worry which is a tire blowout ripping out gas line. Or, another vehicle broadsiding RV at fridge location. Apparently, this stops any propane leak in the lines?
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Howard, other than the attachment issues with the Gas Stop on a TT, do you think it actually works as described? I think that would be the answer to my worry which is a tire blowout ripping out gas line. Or, another vehicle broadsiding RV at fridge location. Apparently, this stops any propane leak in the lines?
                          Yes, I think it is a good safety device.

Comment

Is the valve or valves inside the propane tank and valve suppose to stop a leak if it occurs?
                            I thought that there was already safety devices installed to prevent this from happening when a line was cut.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              Is the valve or valves inside the propane tank and valve suppose to stop a leak if it occurs?
                              I thought that there was already safety devices installed to prevent this from happening when a line was cut.

Brian
                              Watch Chad's test:

Comment

Working...
                              X