Keeping Refrigerator on when Traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

I bought the Gas Stops (they were sold at the National Rally) but I didn't like how the propane line rubbed against the propane enclosure. That contact was sure to cause chaffing over time. I returned them (they were well aware of the issue). I asked about a 90 degree version and they admitted they've given it a lot of thought but haven't come up with a product (yet). My conclusion--great for fifth wheels, not so great for travel trailers.
    Has anyone looked other automatic propane shut off valves like the Camco Propane Gauge/Leak Detector? Camco says it provides excess flow protection but not sure if that really means it competently shuts off the gas. The Camco sells for $23.26 (Amazon) vs the GasStop at $79 +/-. Is it just marketing or is there a real difference?
    David & Kari +2 Dogs (Cream & Winston)
    2020 2600RB (Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC)
    2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC View Post

Has anyone looked other automatic propane shut off valves like the Camco Propane Gauge/Leak Detector? Camco says it provides excess flow protection but not sure if that really means it competently shuts off the gas. The Camco sells for $23.26 (Amazon) vs the GasStop at $79 +/-. Is it just marketing or is there a real difference?
      I read the transcript of etrailer's video and the Camco doesn't appear to me to be in the same class as the GasStop. Have you seen Changing Lanes' video on the device? Chad does a great job of showing exactly how it works and even does his own demo. The Camco makes no claims to stopping gas when there's a leak, only that you'll be able to identify a leak by the needle movement. Not even close to being the same device IMHO.

The video is unlisted but is available on this website: https://changinglanesrv.com/gasstop-...pane-shut-off/
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I read the transcript of etrailer's video and the Camco doesn't appear to me to be in the same class as the GasStop. Have you seen Changing Lanes' video on the device? Chad does a great job of showing exactly how it works and even does his own demo. The Camco makes no claims to stopping gas when there's a leak, only that you'll be able to identify a leak by the needle movement. Not even close to being the same device IMHO.

The video is unlisted but is available on this website: https://changinglanesrv.com/gasstop-...pane-shut-off/
        Thanks Howard! Actually I had already seen Chad's video and several others testing the GasStop and am totally convinced of it's efficacy. Chad's video was one of the things that got me looking at the GasStop in the first place. I think it's a great product and actually bought one the other day but it's rather expensive, especially needing two, and I was looking at other possibilities and if they performed as well. That's why I was asking if anyone had direct experience with the Camco unit. Unfortunately Camco themselves are not very clear about what their unit actually can do.

Camco shows on the description in their sales materials:
        * Provides excess flow protection in case of a broken gas line and thermal protection in case of fire.

But even after talking directly with Camco they are not able to explain what that really means. The price difference is enough to lead one to believe there has to be some difference between the two devices. I was just looking for some evidence that was true.

Did you end up doing anything to solve your issue of the propane hose rubbing on the tank cover? I have the same problem. I'm considering an extra piece of rubber hose or similar to act as a sacrificial cover over the section of hose touching the tank cover.
        2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

Did you end up doing anything to solve your issue of the propane hose rubbing on the tank cover? I have the same problem. I'm considering an extra piece of rubber hose or similar to act as a sacrificial cover over the section of hose touching the tank cover.
          That's a really good idea. I've already had to replace the propane lines on my 2017 travel trailer three times due to cracking and/or rubbing through the lines.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

That's a really good idea. I've already had to replace the propane lines on my 2017 travel trailer three times due to cracking and/or rubbing through the lines.

Jim
            So, I looked around the garage before getting in the car to drive to Lowes Hardware and I remembered I had some left over split wire cover, the corrugated kind, from a camper electrical project that would fit perfectly. A little e-tape and working to find the best angle for the tank and it looks like it will work fine. The split wire cover is easy enough to remove to keep an eye on the status of the hose and tough enough to fend off the propane tank cover. I'll see how it goes.
            2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

So, I looked around the garage before getting in the car to drive to Lowes Hardware and I remembered I had some left over split wire cover, the corrugated kind, from a camper electrical project that would fit perfectly. A little e-tape and working to find the best angle for the tank and it looks like it will work fine. The split wire cover is easy enough to remove to keep an eye on the status of the hose and tough enough to fend off the propane tank cover. I'll see how it goes.
              Brilliant...simple, effective & inexpensive.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X