Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Keith,

This setup is definitely going ot move more air than the original single fan. We have not had fridge cooling problems with the single fan. We are usually camped with the fridge side to the west (chosen whenever possible to shade the camping side in the afternoon) and the fridge fan runs all afternoon. The single (probably inexpensive) OE fan is quite audible inside the trailer. I will be interested in the noise level with these upgraded fans. Will you still run the original fan as well?

Rob
    Yes I plan to tie the new fans into the existing fan power supply (tap at the thermal switch) and run all three. However I can vary the speed of the new fans. New fans pull somewhere around 0.2A each. Existing fan is on a 3 amp fuse. I plan to change that out to a 5A fuse to cover the new fan loads. The existing 16 awg wire (looks like it) is easily good for that added load. I also will have a switch where I can kill the power to the new fans - don't know if I will need it, but it will be there.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Heres a link to my fans: Fridge fix when not cooling (Norcold 1210) - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

I replaced the 2 that were burned out with new ones. They are LOUD though. Sound like angry bumblebees when they turn on. I may change them out if it get's annoying.

I also run one of these fans in the fridge. Valterra FridgeCool RV Refrigerator Fan with On/Off Switch - Battery Operated Valterra Accessories and Parts A10-2606 (etrailer.com) I've run it in every camper I've owned and it keeps the fridge 5-10 degrees cooler. I can maintain 25 degrees in 100 degree heat at level 6 on the fridge. Any colder and the beer freezes.
      2020 GD 320G
      2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Update Started on the wiring in between drizzle events - a bit cold for this time of year. I tested the stock fan flow with the new fans in place. I think I will leave things as is and get them wired up. I did find a place to run the fan cabling.It the very far left side of the bay. I ran a piece of bailing wire first and will pull the cables up, Just finished getting them wrapped in the loom. Pictures to come.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, have you ever seen https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...YaAmY4EALw_wcB ? Since they have a defined narrow output, might be a good option for blowing air up the fins.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Yoda Keith, have you ever seen https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...YaAmY4EALw_wcB ? Since they have a defined narrow output, might be a good option for blowing air up the fins.
            No I have not. Too bad they don't give the full dimensions so you can check the available room. No IP rating either.
            Thanks
            Keith

Comment

Nice a sunny this morning, so I finished the wiring. Getting wire for the top to bottom was interesting. Found space along the left edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904s.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	88382
              Was able to run the two fan wires and the loom with the power wire along the left side of the cabinet. Theses were pushed further left to behind the wall and secured with 3-M sticky squares and zip ties.

Name:	IMG_0903s.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	88383 The wires above were secured along the metal vent using the same 3m squares.

Name:	IMG_0905s.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	88384 This shows how I am powering my fans. Note the double wire cumming off the thermal switch. When the stock fan is given power the aux fans gets power too.

Name:	IMG_0909s.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	88385 Everything is wired up and I now have excellent air flow up top. I installed an on/off switch center. Red wire comes from the thermal switch up top. Small yellow wire powers the fan speed controller to the right. The red and blue cables that run from the left to the fan controller (little black box mounted to back of fridge) are the fan communication cables.

Name:	IMG_0907s.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	88386
              I sealed the space around the fans with Gorilla duct tape. Should last a while and allows access if needed.

So that project is complete. Next up is replacing my rear observation camera.

Keith

Comment

Specs here: https://stingerelectronics.com/produ...ow-cooling-fan roughly 8.5" x 2" x 2"
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda

Keith,

While you are up on the ladder with the upper vent removed add insulation to the top of the fridge, I think it is helpful as there is not much there.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    Yoda

Keith,

While you are up on the ladder with the upper vent removed add insulation to the top of the fridge, I think it is helpful as there is not much there.

Brian
                    Good advice! The top of the slide box is only 1 1/2” of rigid foam insulation. A slide topper helps a lot by shading the slide top . . . but, packing the space above the fridge with rigid foam helps even more. (This is what I did).

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda

Keith,

Brian
                      I don't think I can - its blocked by a metal baffle that directs the air toward to the vent. Ill check next time I am up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I don't think I can - its blocked by a metal baffle that directs the air toward to the vent. Ill check next time I am up.
                        That baffle will tilt up , it is screwed to the outer wall. It is actually a piece of side skirt trim. I tilted mine up and filled the gap with insulation. I do not think the baffle does much to get air out of the cabinet. There are big gaps around it and the hot air that your new fan setup is pushing up there will collect in this empty area and actually heat the top of your fridge.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

That baffle will tilt up , it is screwed to the outer wall. It is actually a piece of side skirt trim. I tilted mine up and filled the gap with insulation. I do not think the baffle does much to get air out of the cabinet. There are big gaps around it and the hot air that your new fan setup is pushing up there will collect in this empty area and actually heat the top of your fridge.

Brian
                          Thanks
                          I had not messed with it, so I will definitely check that out
                          Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,

Looking back through your pictures, it looks like there is some type of insulation on top of your fridge. I replaced my original Atwood fridge with a Dometic . . . so I had to create my own baffles. The upper one does not fit as well as it should, but you can see the stack of rigid foam pieces that I used to fill the space above the fridge. (I used what I had left over from insulating the walls of the fridge space).

Rob

Name:	IMG_2789.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	88436
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I thought I would update this. I did add insulation over and beside the fridge to help the upper airflow. and worked well 90% of the time. Had an issue outside Salt Lake (temps mid 90 with sun on fridge wall) where I had to splice the fans for a constant run. I thought the thermal sensor was bad.

I upgraded to theses fans yesterday https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they run 1000rpm higher and move a lot more aiir. Noise level is OK. This seems to have solved the issue. 95 yesterday with sun on fridge and it held 15 freezing and fridge at 40 degrees at level 3. I had it a level 6 before. This in on electric. Propane works better. The thermal sensor is good two.

Comment

Working...
                              X