Battery powered interior fridge fan - what works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery powered interior fridge fan - what works

I tried searching this but no results have come up. In my outside fan research theses little battery power fans popped up. Is anyone using one? Was thinking this might help when traveling.
    These are what I ran across
    Two different Valterra modesl
    https://www.amazon.com/VALTERRA-A10-...4920330&sr=8-4
    https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...920330&sr=8-18
    Generic version of Valterra
    https://www.amazon.com/Increase-Cool...920330&sr=8-14
    Camco
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Fridge-...4920330&sr=8-2
    Generic version of Camco
    https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Refrig...923498&sr=8-56
    Titan
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094TW31XK...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Beech Lane - this seems to have best reviews.
    https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Mu...920330&sr=8-10

So is anyone using one of these and how well do the actually work. Is it best placed directly under the interior fins? Photos show them all over the place, but my fridge is usually pretty packed.

Last I also ran across digital wireless thermometers - do they work well and if you have one what brand do you have? Would save us from having to open the door to check.
    https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Refriger...4924958&sr=8-8
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refri...4924958&sr=8-6

All thoughts are appreciated
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

We use the Valterra battery operated fan in the fridge. I put it about midway (vertically) near where the interior light is. I usually get about a month out of the batteries, then put them into the charger. I use two sets of rechargeable, so that I always have a fresh set ready to go.

We have also used a digital wireless thermometer, with one sensor in the fridge and the other in the freezer. I used to take them in the truck on travel days, but now I just leave them in the trailer. The fridge stays plenty cold, as we use blocks of ice (in Tupperware containers) that we keep in the freezer until travel days. Then I put them into the top of the fridge, and it stays below 40 for about 8 hours or so.

You may want to look at how you load up the fridge. Since all of the cooling comes from the fins, you need room for air to circulate around everything, as that is where a lot of the cooling comes from . The fans help to move the air around the inside, but they may not be much help if the fridge is totally full.
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Yoda and Tom in PGH

What's interesting about an absorption refrigerator is it transfers heat from inside the refrigerator to the low (freezer) or high (refrigerator) evaporator coils that are on the outside (back) of the refrigerator. The high temp coils are attached to the fins you can see inside the refrigerator. This is very different from how a compressor-based refrigerator works.

To our question: the key is to ensure that air can move around inside the refrigerator so relatively warm air has a path to the fins because it's job is to transfer the heat out of the refrigerator.

Bottom line: no matter what I did (and I think I tried everything) when I had an absorber refrigerator it never performed (nor could it) like a compressor-based refrigerator. A fan inside may help, but don't expect a remarkable change.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Yoda and Tom in PGH

What's interesting about an absorption refrigerator is it transfers heat from inside the refrigerator to the low (freezer) or high (refrigerator) evaporator coils that are on the outside (back) of the refrigerator. The high temp coils are attached to the fins you can see inside the refrigerator. This is very different from how a compressor-based refrigerator works.

I may be misunderstanding what was written, a technical clarification:

”evaporator coils are on the outside (back) of the refrigerator…”

The evaporator section is encased in foam and cannot be seen. The evaporator section/coils are in direct contact with the back of the freeezer section (metal back wall) and the fins in the refrigerator.

The visible coils on the lower backside of the refrigerator are the absorber section where the ammonia from the evaporator section is absorbed back into the water/ammonia solution.

Yep, TMI. Doesn’t change the fact that many OEM gas absorption cooling units leave a lot to be desired.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

I would think any kind of air movement in the fridge would be helpful. Especially since the fans are relatively inexpensive.
          We have the wireless thermometers. We like it. It’s nice to see how the fridge is operating. May have to buy another thermometer as our fridge has 2 separate freezer compartments. So we need 3 sending units and 3 displays.

hope this helps.

coops
          Cooper
          2021 303RLS
          2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
            I would think any kind of air movement in the fridge would be helpful. Especially since the fans are relatively inexpensive.
            We have the wireless thermometers. We like it. It’s nice to see how the fridge is operating. May have to buy another thermometer as our fridge has 2 separate freezer compartments. So we need 3 sending units and 3 displays.

hope this helps.

coops
            Thanks - If I may ask which wireless units do you have?
            Thanks
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks - If I may ask which wireless units do you have?
              Thanks
              Keith
              We have an old Acurite system. Works well… just keep the batteries fresh and remove the batteries for long term storage.

hope this helps

coops
              Cooper
              2021 303RLS
              2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post

We have an old Acurite system. Works well… just keep the batteries fresh and remove the batteries for long term storage.

hope this helps

coops
                X2 on the Accurite system. It has worked very well for us. We keep the display on the dinette table for easy viewing. No problems so far. Our fridge seems to work fairly well. Temps appear accurate. Food is cold and ice cream is hard.
                Robert and Chris
                2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks folks on the feedback. I think I will skip on the interior cube fan and get the Accurite temp sensors instead. Then Ill get the exterior fans installed and see how it goes,

Comment

Working...
                  X