12v fridge operation settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Dv602 My guess is when you disconnected the battery it stopped charging as others have stated. Once the battery reached the voltage threshold for the fridge to turn off, it stopped cooling.
    This is exactly what happened to us in June. I accidently hit the Battery disconnect and the following day our 12volt fridge had shut down. The fridge has a threshold of 11.6 volts. As soon as I figured out what had happened, and re-engaged the battery, all was well.
    Brad Smith
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2018 F150
    2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Installed a 50 amp hookup on the side of my house. Plugged in the shore power. and left the battery disconnect alone. Fridge is working great. So if someone tells you to throw the disconnect when hooked to shore power. DONT.....
      2022 Reflection 295RL - 2019 Ram 2500 bighorn 4x4
      2016 Kodiak 201QB - F150
      2014 14' Dune Sport TH 2010 F-150

Comment

New to the forum. Need advice.

This is our first trailer. We just bought Grand Design 23LDE with a 12v 10 cft refrigerator, 165w solar panel and and 2 HD24 DP batteries. Trying to determine how long the batteries will run the refrigerator while boon docking. Ran a test yesterday. Plugged in and let the refrigerator get to operating temp and unplugged. It ran for about 11.5 hours in the sun and then shut off. It automatically shuts off at 10.5v. I have two small quiet generators but am curious if it will run all night without damaging the batteries.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by TecTac View Post
          New to the forum. Need advice.

This is our first trailer. We just bought Grand Design 23LDE with a 12v 10 cft refrigerator, 165w solar panel and and 2 HD24 DP batteries. Trying to determine how long the batteries will run the refrigerator while boon docking. Ran a test yesterday. Plugged in and let the refrigerator get to operating temp and unplugged. It ran for about 11.5 hours in the sun and then shut off. It automatically shuts off at 10.5v. I have two small quiet generators but am curious if it will run all night without damaging the batteries.

Any advice would be appreciated!
          There are so many variables that it's hard to give an answer. Here are some considerations:

1. Is any shade hitting your panel?
          2. How hot is it? (The hotter it is, the more the refrigerator will run).
          3. What is the true capacity of your battery bank? For example, a typical group 24 RV lead acid battery will produce about 45 amp hours of power. Two will give you about 90 amp hours.
          4. What temperature to you try to maintain with the refrigertor?
          5. Were the batteries fully charged when you started the experiment?
          6. What other devices are the batteries running. Lights, furnace fans, stereos, ceiling fans, etc. all share the available power in the RV.

I think you're on the right path with experimenting to see how your specific uses impact the length of time you can run. In my own application, I have 800 watts of solar and three 100 amp hour lithium batteries. I can run indefinitely as long as I get 5-6 hours of sunlight per day. If you find out that you're not able to run 24 hours without a recharge, there are two primary areas to focus. The first would be to increase your battery bank, and the second would be to add another panel to your roof.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I recently purchased a 2023 22MLE and was told by the dealer the only time I should disconnect the battery switch is when the trailer goes into storage. I will be taking my first trip this month and will report back as to the operation of the refrigerator and the "on demand" hot water heater. This is my second GD trailer. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S. View Post
              I recently purchased a 2023 22MLE and was told by the dealer the only time I should disconnect the battery switch is when the trailer goes into storage. I will be taking my first trip this month and will report back as to the operation of the refrigerator and the "on demand" hot water heater. This is my second GD trailer. Thanks
              For long term storage, more than 3 days, I would disconnect a battery cable, either positive or negative, both is good as well. The factory battery disconnect does not disconnect much, the battery will still drain in a few days.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Country Campers for the quick response. A follow-up question regarding the 12V refrigerator and the 165W solar panel and solar charge controller which are all new to me. I "assume" that the main function of the solar panel/controller is to keep the battery at the proper voltage level to operate the refrigerator?? If the days are sunny shouldn't the frig continue to operate continuously when dry camping. I know the battery also will operate the interior lights, slide, awning and water pump, but those items are used very infrequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S. View Post
                  Thanks Country Campers for the quick response. A follow-up question regarding the 12V refrigerator and the 165W solar panel and solar charge controller which are all new to me. I "assume" that the main function of the solar panel/controller is to keep the battery at the proper voltage level to operate the refrigerator?? If the days are sunny shouldn't the frig continue to operate continuously when dry camping. I know the battery also will operate the interior lights, slide, awning and water pump, but those items are used very infrequently.
                  There is not enough input from the 165w panel to overcome the usage from the RV, including the fridge, with a standard deep cycle battery. When getting to your dry camping site and deploying the slide and power jack these 2 items will consume quite a bit of power from the battery, plus add that the 12 v dc items are operating while you are traveling. The factory solar set up is just a "starter" kit and not meant to be a fully functional off grid system.

There is plenty to learn here, use the search function, and also to keep this thread on topic if you have any more questions regarding the solar please post in the Solar channel. Also please have a read of the Welcome Letter to New Members as it will help you along the way.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X