Satellite Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Choices

I'm fairly new to RV's but understand most electronics for wifi and streaming issues. I have a question to put out here.
    I want to get a portable satellite system and am getting a bit confused. I already have a Direct TV system at home and wanted to incorporate that to my RV but by taking my receiver with us I may have compatibility probs with the dish I choose. Also, by getting the new dish I'm starting another subscription to whoever I wind up buying ie Dish/direct tv. The prices seem to be 500-1200.00 depending and I wanted input on what choices have worked well for others in th GD family.

Hey There.

I have a similar issue , I will go with Starlink and a streaming service, This way I get unlimited internet at a streaming speed for $99 US per month but you have to purchase the dish for I believe $500.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We dropped satellite coverage a couple of years ago. If you go with Dish, hit me up and I'll make you a great deal on a Winegard Pathway X2 satellite dish. All you'd need to buy is the receiver.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

sthomasTS you will find Dish more RV friendly than Direct. For one thing, there is only one antenna that will receive Direct's HD signal; it is about $1800 and must be permanently installed. Any antenna that receives Dish network programming will receive their HD signal. I have the expensive thing up on our roof, and use it for Dish network. It works awesome. But, for those sites that have tree or other sky visibility issues, I also have the least expense winegard portable antenna, which is also automatic. It will service on receiver. You should be able to get both the antenna, and a Wally receiver for under $350. Dish also has a package just for RVs where you can turn your receiver on/off monthly. It starts at about $35/month. If you are not going to use your unit for a few months, you can suspend your service with no penalty, as there is no contract.
        Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
        2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
        Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I certainly agree with the others that Dish for an RV is the way to go. However, I take one of my DirecTV HD home receivers with me in the 5h wheel. I simply use a cheap 18" round antenna on a tripod. This only receives SD signals, and for antenna aiming I have to use an old SD receiver since the newer HD receivers do not have audible signal strength meters. This may well be more trouble than you want to go to but it has worked well for me over the years. If and when DirecTV drops their SD programming, I'll probably pick up the Dish RV package.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
          X