Suggested washer dryer brand for solutude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested washer dryer brand for solutude

For the 310 Gk what is the suggested brand for the washer dryer. Since it set up with washer dryer prep I can only assume it was done with a particular brand and model in mind that best fits the spot. Thanks
    2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R

I know quite a few owners who've gone with the Splendide brand.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks, that is what I was looking at. My plan is to use the vented models and I want to make sure, other then the hole through the side of the RV there are no other modifications that will be needed. Thanks
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Is GDRV still marking the wall for the vent penetration?
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would use caution when "trusting" the marked place for cutting a vent hole. Sometimes the markings are not correct.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by drifterranch View Post
            Thanks, that is what I was looking at. My plan is to use the vented models and I want to make sure, other then the hole through the side of the RV there are no other modifications that will be needed. Thanks
            If you haven't seen this thread, might be something helpful in it: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes sir I read that thread the other day. It was very helpful. Thanks
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

We don't have a washer/dryer but I've read a fair number of frustrated posts about having to dismantle parts of the washer/dryer closet doorway to install them. Probably best not to believe that they will just drop into place.

Good luck.
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

For the 310 Gk what is the suggested brand for the washer dryer. Since it set up with washer dryer prep I can only assume it was done with a particular brand and model in mind that best fits the spot. Thanks
                  Hah! I wish that was true. I'm pretty sure nobody at Grand Design has ever installed a washer and dryer in a Solitude 310GK. If they had tried, they would completely re-design the closet so you can actually use it without first tearing it apart and rebuilding it so the washer and dryer actually fit.

I've installed a washer and dryer in our last two Grand Design 5th wheels. The first was a Reflection with separate locations for the washer and dryer. That was a very straightforward and easy install. The second was our 2019 Solitude 373FB. With this unit, you have to stack the dryer on top of the washer. The opening of that closet was juuuuust barely wide enough to get the washer and dryer in but they did fit. However, I did have to cut a chunk out of the left door jamb so we could slide open the laundry detergent tray in the LG washer.

Fast forward to the 2020 Solitude 310GK-R we ordered last month. We went to the dealer yesterday and took some measurements. The opening to the washer/dryer closet is about 23 1/4". My preferred washer and dryer (LG and Whirpool models) are 24" and 23.9" wide respectively. The Splendide vented washer and dryer separates are 23.5" wide. None of these units will fit inside this closet without tearing the door trim off. And that's just the start of the problems...

Now for depth - The back of this closet space varies because it's curved. The shallowest point is the right side and it's 23" deep. The left side is 29.5". The LG washer is 25 1/4" deep. It won't fit. The Splendide models are 22 3/4" so they will just barely fit.

On to height - the height of the closet up to the little shelf just below the towel bar is 59 1/8". The stacked height of the LG washer and Whirlpool dryer is 64.5". The stacked height of the Splendide models is roughly 65 3/4". Once again, none of these will fit without tearing this little shelf off. I regret not looking at this little shelf thing more closely to see what it's purpose actually is. I think it's some kind of structure to attach the back wall to. I need to go back to the dealer to look at this again.

Now to the marked dryer vent location on the right side of the closet. The right side???? What the heck? Does anybody make a dryer that vents out the right side? That is totally unusable. The only way to vent a dryer is to cut a hole through both the back wall of the closet and then the side of the RV. The back wall of the closet will have to be removed to run the vent hose to the sidewall of the RV.

The bottom line is this closet is unusable for a washer and dryer unless you remove the door jamb in order to get the washer and dryer into the closet. Then remove the back wall and build a new frame that creates a deeper space so the units will fit. After this you need to cut a hole in the back wall and the side of the RV to vent the dryer. Finally, you must remove the mini-shelf at the top of the closet so there is enough height to fit a washer and dryer.

The design of this closet is so bad that I'm seriously questioning whether or not to even buy a washer and dryer for the 310GK. The door trim/jamb is made from something that looks like compressed cardboard. Not only will I need to remove this in order to get the units in the closet, but I will also need to once again cut a big chunk out of it so the detergent tray will open. I'm not very confident I can do this without damaging the cheap material.

Sorry for whining. I know these RV's aren't the best engineered products but what really upsets me about manufacturers is when they literally don't bother to test their products before selling them. Whoever designed the washer/dryer closet for the Solitude 310GK should be forced to actually install a washer and dryer in it while their manager watches.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thank you for posting this. I know on my 384GK, they had to remove the frame of the bedroom entry door just to get my Splendide Combo into the bedroom. Lots of scuffs and scratches. Not a pretty install. I was considering the smaller 310 for my next rig because I thought a stackable washer and dryer would fit in the closet. Now I will certainly have to reconsider.

Comment

There may be other brands that will fit but they would have to be narrower and shorter than the Splendide and narrower, shorter and less deep than the LG. And with anything you find, you'll need to remove and modify the back wall of the closet to get the vent hose through it and to the outside wall of the RV.

I will probably still buy a washer and dryer for this 310GK because my wife REALLY likes having a washer and dryer but it will not be a fun project and will probably look like cr*p when I'm done.
                      Last edited by bertschb; 01-04-2020, 12:44 PM.
                      Brian & Kellie
                      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                        There may be other brands that will fit but they would have to be narrower and shorter than the Splendide and narrower, shorter and less deep than the LG. And with anything you find, you'll need to remove and modify the back wall of the closet to get the vent hose through it and to the outside wall of the RV.

I will probably still buy a washer and dryer for this 310GK because my wife REALLY likes having a washer and dryer but it will not be a fun project and will probably look like cr*p when I'm done.
                        Brian is having your dealer install it an option for you? I had my dealer install it as part of the sale so I didn't have too fool with it. I have no idea how difficult it was but they did a very nice job and I've used it a bunch with no issues.
                        Jeff
                        2019 Solitude 375 RES
                        2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
                          Brian is having your dealer install it an option for you?
                          I'm sure they would but they charge a fortune for labor. They wanted something like $800 to install the satellite dish on my Reflection (first 5th wheel). I did it myself in a couple hours. Since my washer/dryer closet will have to be heavily modified to fit a washer and dryer, I suspect they would charge something similar. I just don't like paying other people to do work I can do. Modifying the closet won't be technically difficult, it just ticks me off that I have to do it. I mean, even the most basic thing, the opening width of the closet, is too narrow! C'mon Grand Design!

I'm a scuba diver and this issue reminds me of a problem I had with a canister dive light I bought many years ago. This light cost $1,000. The first time I tried using it on a cold water dive I couldn't flip the power switch on with my dive gloves. I had to surface and have a buddy of mine help me remove my gloves, flip the light switch on then re-attach my gloves (dry gloves). I knew at that point that the manufacturer had never actually used this dive light on a dive. The switch had a raised area around it to protect it but because of the design, you could only operate the switch with bare hands. There is no bare hand diving off the Oregon coast! When I got home I grabbed my hack saw and modified the design so you could actually operate the switch during a dive. Imagine that!

The washer/dryer closet in the 310GK is the same deal - the manufacturer has never installed a washer or dryer in it. In fact I would argue they never even bothered to measure the most common washers and dryers prior to designing the closet. The dishwasher prep is similar. The power and water are under the cabinet but you have to rebuild the drain system under the sink in order to connect the dishwasher drain. The dishwasher prep should include a capped drain for the dishwasher! Otherwise - advertise it as partially dishwasher prepped.

Sorry for the rant. We just ordered our 3rd Grand Design RV so we obviously love their products but some of the things they do drive me crazy.
                          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Haha no problem with the rant, I get it! I'm on my third GD in 3 years as well so I obviously love them too but they do some crazy things. I'm still getting up the courage to tear in to my water cabinet to fix the hose chafing from the water filter, going to be a major project, check your new one too when you get it. Good luck on the washer install.
                            Jeff
                            2019 Solitude 375 RES
                            2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

@bertschb Thanks for your post!! I do appreciate reading this type of information! I have passed this off to the General Manager, Product Manager, and Engineer for our Solitude line. I hope that they can find this helpful for the future, and maybe even make suggestions on the install. I'll be sure to post back to this thread if I have any feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X