Norcold 2118 Getting too cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 2118 Getting too cold

The Norcold 2118 in my 2020 310GK has worked perfectly for almost 2 years. Suddenly, it has been getting too cold, even if the controller is set on 2. The freezer has reached 3 degrees, and the food section is down to 22 degrees. I have to turn everything off to keep it from getting even colder. Any thoughts why this is happening; can it be fixed by me, or do I need to get a mobile tech to do it? TIA

Originally posted by Jmirage View Post
    The Norcold 2118 in my 2020 310GK has worked perfectly for almost 2 years. Suddenly, it has been getting too cold, even if the controller is set on 2. The freezer has reached 3 degrees, and the food section is down to 22 degrees. I have to turn everything off to keep it from getting even colder. Any thoughts why this is happening; can it be fixed by me, or do I need to get a mobile tech to do it? TIA
    Mine is doing the exact same thing, looking forward to hearing some suggestions to rectify the problem.
    Joe & Melissa Shantz
    2018 Solitude 310 GK, Sailun S637 Tires 5/14/20, Mor-Ryde IS, pin box and disk brakes 6/16/20
    2021 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Maybe the sensor on the cooling fin came off?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Jmirage and Jshantz

​​​​​​​Interesting that your fridge is getting too cold, usually you read about RV fridges not getting cold enough. Maybe you found a solution to everyone else's problem . When my in-laws were having an issue with their Dometic not cycling off, and thus getting way too cold, the first checked that the thermistor ways properly secured to the fins like Scott'n'Wendy suggests. Once that was confirmed, they replaced the thermistor, which seemed to fix the problem. Their next course of action would have been a board replacement, but they fortunately didn't need to do that.

​​​​​​​Not sure if it helps narrow down the issue, maybe it will, but does the fridge behave differently on electric vs. LP?
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Jmirage View Post
          Try this...Put the fridge in Diagnostic Mode. Push and hold the two buttons on either side of the display. "1" should display, then all the segments will light up. Push the button on the left of the display until "3" shows up. You are now reading the temperature of the REFRIGERATOR FIN that the thermistor is sitting on. Mine is usually at 32 - 34 degrees when temp is set to 4. I've never seen it below 30. If the thermistor is "open" then the display will read "00". If the thermistor is "shorted" then the display will read "99". From my observation (and I'm saying this because I can't find anything to support this) leaving the Diagnostic Mode at 3 will force the FIN TEMP (and the refrigerator) to get colder and colder no matter what you had the temperature set at. Turn the fridge off to exit Diagnostic Mode.
          Pat and Karen
          2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Thanks everyone. I obtained a copy of the Service manual, and after testing the controller in the manner set forth by pengle, I found the thermistor to be shorted. I just have to find a replacement now and it should be good to go.

John

Comment

Working...
            X