No announcement yet.

SWMBO & New Reversable Bedroom Vent Fan - Brand and Model choice help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWMBO & New Reversable Bedroom Vent Fan - Brand and Model choice help please

Please don't laugh at me (OK go ahead), but DW did mention it might be nice to have a fan in our bedroom vent while on the trip to Georgia. She is not happy with the noisy AC. She doesn't want much for Christmas, so I thought surprise here with this. Then again........

However if I mess up on the choice I will be in Big DoDo....need I say more.

I know absolutely nothing about these - we have a MaxAir in the kitchen - GD install with rain sensors and powered opening, but it does not reverse. On low its OK but still more noise than I think I or She can tolerate.

SWMBO wants a cool QUIET breezes into the trailer( vent is centered over bed) so it must be reversible, Did I say quiet. Power I think is there, but if not easy to get to it from bath. It is easily reached from the bed so no remote is needed or auto opening. Just a basic quiet reversible fan with controls at the fan.

So I really see only two brands Fan-Tastic and Maxxair
    Maxxair has this.
    https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...s/maxxfan-plus but not sure which model I need.
    Fan-Tastic
    https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo.../rv-roof-vents has two models that I can find but both are fancy - nothing manual control that I can find.

Also power draw is a concern, but I really cant find any specifics on this. Which brand/model is efficient and long lasting?

So can folks help keep me out of the dog house in making the correct pick for our needs. All thoughts are welcome, and if I have missed something important please speak up. Ease of installation would be helpful too. I am looking low profile as I don't want shading on the solar panels if possible.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda Keith, if you have 3 vents in the unit, would it be possible to convert the bathroom vent to the Maxxair such that with both the rear and bathroom vents on and puling that it would create sufficient airflow from the bedroom vent?

Airflow out of the unit must equal airflow into the unit. 2 fans pulling out means the one inlet vent should have about 2x the velocity (if the exhaust fans are at the same speed).
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi Keith,

We replaced both our OE galley and bathroom fans plus the vent in the bedroom with top of the line 10 speed reversible, remote control and rain sense closing MaxxFans. Model 4500K https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...s/maxxfan-plus. When you compare the price of the lesser models to top-of-the-line . . . it doesn’t make sense to do without all the options. These are quiet powerful fans that move many times more air than our original (pre-MaxxAir on GD products) vent fans.
      We did put a smoke MaxxAir cover over the one in the galley so we can leave it open, but the other two are wide open with fans running on "20% exhaust", most of the time. The rain sensors really do work

The hardest part of the replacement is removing the self levelling sealer from the original vents. Pick a warm day and use a narrow plastic putty knife and you will quickly get the hang of this.

Once the sun goes down, we open the windows and turn on the vent fans and the trailer quickly comes down to evening temperature.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Keith,

We replaced both our OE galley and bathroom fans plus the vent in the bedroom with top of the line 10 speed reversible, remote control and rain sense closing MaxxFans. Model 4500K https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...s/maxxfan-plus. When you compare the price of the lesser models to top-of-the-line . . . it doesn’t make sense to do without all the options. These are quiet powerful fans that move many times more air than our original (pre-MaxxAir on GD products) vent fans.
        We did put a smoke MaxxAir cover over the one in the galley so we can leave it open, but the other two are wide open with fans running on "20% exhaust", most of the time. The rain sensors really do work

The hardest part of the replacement is removing the self levelling sealer from the original vents. Pick a warm day and use a narrow plastic putty knife and you will quickly get the hang of this.

Once the sun goes down, we open the windows and turn on the vent fans and the trailer quickly comes down to evening temperature.

Rob
        Jlawles2

Thanks Joseph and Rob.
        Joseph - an interesting idea. I do need to change out the bath fan too. Maybe that's why the kitchen fan did not work so hot a few times - need a window open.

Rob - I looked at the 4500 series and though it would be a good fit and not shadow the solar panels. Now to find them on sale if possible.

Thanks folks.
        Happy Thanksgiving
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jlawles2

Rob - I looked at the 4500 series and though it would be a good fit and not shadow the solar panels. Now to find them on sale if possible.

$252 right now with free shipping at Camping World. (Mine came in just a few days ago!)

Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
          2021 GD 2670MK
          2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty View Post

$252 right now with free shipping at Camping World. (Mine came in just a few days ago!)
            Is there a code - showing $280 https://www.campingworld.com/search?...=&lang=default
            I'm not a Good Sam member - maybe that it.

Comment

Yoda I'm a member, but tend to price shop. Amazon has them beat and if you are a prime member free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/MAXXAIR-00045...t=ELECTRIC_FAN
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Yoda I'm a member, but tend to price shop. Amazon has them beat and if you are a prime member free shipping. https://www.amazon.com/MAXXAIR-00045...t=ELECTRIC_FAN
                Thanks Joseph
                There is actually a better price - well sort of.. Etrailer had a lowest price match guarantee. "we will refund you 110% of the difference in the delivered price (cost of product plus shipping/handling charges) within 30 days of your purchase" But best to check with them first. I have used it several times, even Amazon pricing) and they seem happy to do it. I would rather buy from them as they take care of any issues quickly and answer thier phone and respond to emails. In searching the best price I need to be careful. A couple of RV sites say the unit is a Maxair 4500k, but the description doesn't match up.

I am waiting for Friday for most things

Thanks
                Keith

Comment

I put a Maxxair 6200 in the bedroom for the same reasons you mentioned. It is the four speed model with the smoke rain hood built in. It is super quiet and she who would know says it moves the right amount of air and is not noisy. With advice from this forum I found the 12 volt wiring there and it was pretty straightforward. As Rob mentioned, the hardest part is removing the old sealant. I was amazed how thin the roof membrane is. After cleaning, I applied Eternabond tape around the opening to reinforce the roof membrane and cover a couple of cuts I made in it. Then I installed the fan flange over the tape and used copious amounts of self leveling sealant as recommended.
                  The Maxxair seems like a well made unit, I went for simplicity with the local controls, manual raise and four speed fan. Very satisfied.
                  Keith
                  2018 303RLS, Steadyfast, Reese 16k hitch
                  2016 GMC Sierra2500HD Crew Cab 6.5’ Bed 6.2 L Gas 4:30 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Keithb View Post
                    I put a Maxxair 6200 in the bedroom for the same reasons you mentioned. It is the four speed model with the smoke rain hood built in. It is super quiet and she who would know says it moves the right amount of air and is not noisy. With advice from this forum I found the 12 volt wiring there and it was pretty straightforward. As Rob mentioned, the hardest part is removing the old sealant. I was amazed how thin the roof membrane is. After cleaning, I applied Eternabond tape around the opening to reinforce the roof membrane and cover a couple of cuts I made in it. Then I installed the fan flange over the tape and used copious amounts of self leveling sealant as recommended.
                    The Maxxair seems like a well made unit, I went for simplicity with the local controls, manual raise and four speed fan. Very satisfied.
                    Keith
                    Thanks Keith Great name by the way

Are you sure it's the 6200? That is now a 10 speed with the elongated vent hood. If you have the elongates hood - have you had any water/snow intrusion issues with it closed as it does not seal 100% along the elongated side?

Thanks for helping - especially information on noise for the 4 speed version.

Keith

Comment

Ah, going from memory gets me in trouble every time! You are correct, it was not the 6200, rather the 6401K, 4 speed, manual, smoke, elongated cover. I bought mine from Amazon and they are $175.00 today.
                      I have not had any problem with water or snow coming in. I was very pleased how much light still comes through the ceiling with the Smoke cover. Btw, this fan is exhaust only so we open one of the nearby windows and get the breeze. We use a small tabletop fan for additional air movement and white noise.
                      Keith
                      2018 303RLS, Steadyfast, Reese 16k hitch
                      2016 GMC Sierra2500HD Crew Cab 6.5’ Bed 6.2 L Gas 4:30 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Keithb View Post
                        Ah, going from memory gets me in trouble every time! You are correct, it was not the 6200, rather the 6401K, 4 speed, manual, smoke, elongated cover. I bought mine from Amazon and they are $175.00 today.
                        I have not had any problem with water or snow coming in. I was very pleased how much light still comes through the ceiling with the Smoke cover. Btw, this fan is exhaust only so we open one of the nearby windows and get the breeze. We use a small tabletop fan for additional air movement and white noise.
                        Keith
                        I'm thinking of going with the 6200K so I can use it when its raining. Its 237 at Amazon, but etrailer will match. No rush as they are not on sale anywhere yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Keith Great name by the way

Are you sure it's the 6200? That is now a 10 speed with the elongated vent hood. If you have the elongates hood - have you had any water/snow intrusion issues with it closed as it does not seal 100% along the elongated side?

Thanks for helping - especially information on noise for the 4 speed version.

Keith
                          Keith,

As an FYI the Maxxair deluxe fans do seal completely when the hood is closed so there isn't any water/snow intrusion issues. I installed the 6200 in the bedroom because it is reversible and will operate even with the hood closed to move the air. So far I'm very happy with it and I don't find it to be that loud.

Brian
                          Brian
                          2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
                          2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Working...
                          X