Furrion Refrigerator Moisture / Freezing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Refrigerator Moisture / Freezing Issue

So I just purchased a grand design reflection 295. This past Friday. I had it in my driveway for two days went on a short trip overnight Saturday. I noticed my refrigerator when we were doing my walk-through had a lot of ice buildup and moisture inside of it. Wrote it up on the paperwork service tech came and looked at it said the gasket needs to be replaced. I also had a hard time opening the freezer several times it was very difficult the ice was getting worse and dripping now onto the floor, had to turn off refrigerator.  my old camper that I had had the same 12 V refrigerator ( Everchill ) that did not do this or had any issues the one that’s in it now is a.( Furrion ). . If anyone knows a fix or is this just a default let me know and please tell me this is not normal for this brand. 
    Attached Files

Mark295rl -- it's easy to confirm the tech's diagnosis by doing the "dollar bill" test. Put a bill between the gasket and the refrigerator. With the door closed there should be a slight pull/tension on the bill. If you find a gap where's there no tension, the gasket could be the culprit.

Based on the symptom it is likely the gasket is bad--the moisture is condensing due to warm outside air getting into the refrigerator.

I haven't read many failures of this type in the new 12v Furrion's, but it's not an unheard of problem in refrigerators.

Also, welcome to the forum! Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We've got a 12v Furrion in our 2022 Transcend 200MK. No such problems. So I doubt that yours is typical. These are not "frost-free" however. You will get some freezer frost.
      Ruth and Patrick
      2022 Transcend 200MK
      2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

We have the Furrion 12v fridge. Moisture has been a constant problem. It will freeze along the back wall, then melt. It is a continuous cycle as the fridge operates. Items on the back of the shelves will freeze.
        I have purchased a battery operated Camco circulation device to try next season. The temperature variations in different areas are wild. Hopefully the fan will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckcamper View Post
          We have the Furrion 12v fridge. Moisture has been a constant problem. It will freeze along the back wall, then melt. It is a continuous cycle as the fridge operates. Items on the back of the shelves will freeze.
          I have purchased a battery operated Camco circulation device to try next season. The temperature variations in different areas are wild. Hopefully the fan will help.
          Check the seals as previously mentioned in response to Mark295rl . In a sealed container (the refrigerator and/or freezer) moisture should only be introduced when the door is opened to the interior of the camper.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just purchased a 280RS and am having the same problem now that I've had the RV home for a few months plugged in. Tons of ice built up in the freezer. Set on mid temperature and I haven't used the fridge yet so it can't be from opening the door too much. There's also nothing in the fridge yet, since we have not been able to go anywhere. I noticed the door on the freezer seems to be looser than the door on the fridge. Any suggestions? We have a 12 volt frige in our last unit and I never had this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mjnova View Post
              I just purchased a 280RS and am having the same problem now that I've had the RV home for a few months plugged in. Tons of ice built up in the freezer. Set on mid temperature and I haven't used the fridge yet so it can't be from opening the door too much. There's also nothing in the fridge yet, since we have not been able to go anywhere. I noticed the door on the freezer seems to be looser than the door on the fridge. Any suggestions? We have a 12 volt frige in our last unit and I never had this issue.
              Check the seal on both doors as mentioned above, use a dollar bill or a sheet of paper, to see if they are sealing. What brand of fridge do you have? There have been a couple different ones being used so maybe someone has a tip for you brand.
              I am not sure if the doors are adjustable.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Furrion 12v fridge here doing the same thing. We haven't done a camp for more than 3 days with ours yet, but it's always iced up on the back wall, unless it's melted, then it's just wet. This is camping in dry Arizona air. I'm a bit afraid what will happen when we summer in more humid climes.
                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Made me look We have a 2022 with the Furrion Artic 10 cu ft 12v fridge and it's been on for a week now as we prep for a trip, so I went out to double check and no frost at all.

Maybe you folks have a different model but so far, since October, this thing has been awesome!
                  Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Spent a month (mostly in the rain, so high humidity) in the trailer and zero frost. We have the Furrion 16cu ft. Sounds odd that the reported results are so different.
                    Mike and Rebecca
                    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
                    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

We have a 2022 2500RL that freezes up a ton, 1/2" of ice on the back wall, freezes fruits and veggies. Dealer says we are over filling it and there is no air flow. Bull... It's hard to check for seal leaks with the double seal design so I placed a bright light inside and with a dark coach, no light leaks so... I am assuming the seals are pretty good. I will try the dollar bill later today as well

Next the dealer tells me the trailer is not level which is causing the refrig to ice up. Well I know it's not dead on level but come on, how exact does it have to be. In fact it was icing up at home when it was almost exact and what are we supposed to do when driving?

My ice starts at the top of the frig and stop just above the second shelf, the area behind the lower shelf is ice free.

I can turn the thermostat down quite a bit and yet it will run for another 20 mins, shut off and turn right back on again in less than 5 mins

This thing runs constantly

Comment

Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
                        We have a 2022 2500RL that freezes up a ton, 1/2" of ice on the back wall, freezes fruits and veggies. Dealer says we are over filling it and there is no air flow. Bull... It's hard to check for seal leaks with the double seal design so I placed a bright light inside and with a dark coach, no light leaks so... I am assuming the seals are pretty good. I will try the dollar bill later today as well

Next the dealer tells me the trailer is not level which is causing the refrig to ice up. Well I know it's not dead on level but come on, how exact does it have to be. In fact it was icing up at home when it was almost exact and what are we supposed to do when driving?

My ice starts at the top of the frig and stop just above the second shelf, the area behind the lower shelf is ice free.

I can turn the thermostat down quite a bit and yet it will run for another 20 mins, shut off and turn right back on again in less than 5 mins

This thing runs constantly
                        Welcome to the forum! Do you have the Furrion DC fridge referenced in this post? If so being level is less critical than it used to be with the RV absorption fridges of the past.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks, we have a 12v fridge. I reached out to furrion and based on my description they say it's not normal and it sounds like a thermostat issue. They want all the usual make model serial number so they can look into a warranty repair
                          Last edited by Toy4Rick; 05-19-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Figured out why I was having such condensation issues. There were two plastic round spacers behind the latch strike where it attached to the refrigerator body. The freezer would seal OK with that, but the fridge would not. The shape and length of the latches is different. I removed the strike and the two spacers behind it, reassembled, and now the door to both the fridge and freezer are nice and snug. I can still slide a dollar bill out, but I had a visible gap before if I'd open the freezer and look down at the seal on the fridge.
                            2022 Imagine 2600RB
                            2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Check the seal on both doors as mentioned above, use a dollar bill or a sheet of paper, to see if they are sealing. What brand of fridge do you have? There have been a couple different ones being used so maybe someone has a tip for you brand.
                              I am not sure if the doors are adjustable.

Brian
                              Hey Brian, we did the dollar bill test. It's the 10 cu ft Furrion 12v fridge. Dealer even changed out the freezer door (after wainting on the door for 7 months!). Readjusted it as much as they could. Same issue. Dollar bill test is even ok now that they readjusted. Not great, but it builds up a ton of ice in just a few days. I expect a little over weeks or months, but not to the point I have to defrost every few days of use.

Comment

Working...
                              X