No announcement yet.

Furrion 12v refrigerator not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ncitro I think I have an answer! Another thread on this forum (small so I missed it) said that you must keep the battery disconnect switch in the “ON” position, even on shore power. When I opened the bay door and checked, sure enough my battery disconnect switch was in the “OFF” position. I plugged it back in and turned it to the “ON” position. Immediately the 12v fridge fired up and is churning like a champ! I hope this “simple” fix solves my problem!

What bothers me is no where in the manuals does it mention you have to keep the battery disconnect in the “ON” position. Even when I called GD, Furrion, and General RV support lines none one suggested that I check the position of the battery disconnect switch and make sure it in “ON”. I have owned a 40 ft diesel pusher, and Airstream and have never had to worry about a battery disconnect switch when on shore power. The difference is the auto shutoff circuitry of the Furrion 12v fridge - it must read adequate power FROM THE BATTERY at all times in order to operate properly - even on shore power.

I will continue to electronically monitor the fridge temp but so far so good! I will report back in a few weeks. Thanks for your input!
    2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Rgg123 . That makes sense. The fridge is "on the other side" of the disconnect switch. So when you have it off the converter will not charge the battery,and the fridge is just running off the battery. After time the battery is depleated (this is why you read only 11v), and the fridge cannot run.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I reread the Furrion owners manual and this is what I found - NO mention of the need to keep the battery disconnect switch to the “ON” position:
        Operation

The appliance has a low-voltage shut-off function, intended to protect your RV battery’s from excessive drain.

NOTE: This function controls compressor operation only, a small electric current is still used for the LED cavity light and low-voltage monitoring system. Once voltage is increased, the system will automatically begin normal operation.
        Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4wkdNb

Battery Maintenance

Your refrigerator has an automatic shut-off switch, should the voltage drop below 9.6V at the terminal connection. This is to help prevent permanent damage to your batteries.

NOTE: Once voltage is re-established the refrigerator will begin working automatically per the setting of the dial. When possible maintain the float voltage listed on your battery. Solar is a good way to maintain battery voltage if a local power source is not available. Contact Furrion for further questions or options on Solar.
        Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4iYU8j
        2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Rgg123 . Yes I would not expect anything about the disconnect in the Furrion manual,that disconnect switch is provided by Grand Design when they build the trailer. It basically disconnects the everything on the fuse panel inside the rig from the battery. This includes the converter (which is why the battery does not charge when it's off), but does not include the fridge (it's on its own fuse on either the tongue or front bay (depending if it's a fifth wheel or travel trailer). This ends up with the condition where when on shore power you're not charging the battery but the fridge is running off the battery abs discharging it.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Whether the battery switch is on or off depends on how the RV is wired, Furrion would have no way of determining how one is wired. The 12 v dc and the 120 v ac shore power do not share a ground. Although the converter is supplied with 120 v ac power it produces 12 v dc power, not sure if there is a ground associated with this production or not. If the battery is not in top shape and the disconnect switch turned to the on position it is possible that the ground is less than needed.

We have just spent 2 weeks with our 12 v dc fridge on the whole time. I did monitor the temps for the first week and there was still some swings but not as wild as when the fridge was empty. The freezer kept all things frozen as well as made ice when needed. No food spoilage was seen. I had the temp dial set at about one dot passed top center.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I wrote a follow-up note to the support desks for Furrion and Grand Design, explaining the issue and asking them to clarify the owners manuals and notify their support personnel to inform other owners regarding the problem. Hopefully, it will make a difference

Comment

I am also having the same issue with my Furrion 12v refrigerator. I have read the post and watched YouTube videos to try to find any information on this. Lights does flicker inside the fridge. The temperature gets in the lower 50's. I did a hard reset by killing all the power and unhooking the battery. Same issue. You hear the fan come on for 5 seconds then it will cut off. 10 mins later does samething. After reading a post about battery voltage could cause this issue even though you are hooked to the 50 amp service. I went outside and turned my battery disconnect on. The battery voltage gauge was reading 11.25 volts. Within 1 minute refrigerator turned on and stayed on. I hope this is the issue. I will keep on monitoring it. If it does it again I will take the refrigerator out and check the fuse holder to make sure it's not loose. Hope this helps.
                2022 3100 Imagine 3100RD

Comment

Working...
                X