No announcement yet.

Lippert Rear view camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also purchased a Reflection 295 and have similiar issues as others have posted. Difficulty connecting, poor image quality, intermittent signal while driving. I contacted lippert directly about my inability to connect my iPhone using compass connect app and had to restart the camera as indicated in owners manual. Afterward I was able to connect app but sometimes need to go to setup on iPhone and manually connect the Insight camera to wifi on phone. Due to visibility issues (very blurry) I think I will invest in the lippert insight lcd monitor to hopefully resolve my issues.

Comment

Originally posted by andyusna77 View Post
      The Lippert camera came installed with our 2022 Reflection 337RLS and I connected to my ipone via bluetooth. Over several connection attempts, it was intermittent and the image quality was poor, at best. Also, the camera only works during back-up, and is not an Observation camera like my previous Furrion vision S. We've been travelling and I finally gave up and installed the Furrion camera. What a HUGE difference in connectivity and picture clarity. And, I can monitor behind me while driving highway speeds with no issues. I do use it to help judge the passenger side traffic while passing.
      As a point of reference, when I took off the Lippert camera, it appeared to be hard wired into the camera (can't say for sure but on the ladder I wanted to move quickly) so I cut the wires and connected to the Furrion camera by splicing. The connection is with Running LIghts which makes it nice.

Mike
      Ram 3500
      2022 Reflection 337RLS
      Just curious how you hooked it up to running lights? My furrion is wired to my headlights on vs drl.

Probably a post here somewhere but haven't looked.
      SATA Adventurers
      Steve and Tina
      2021 Reflection 337RLS
      2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Miladin View Post
        I have a 22 RAM 3500 and it has a plug in trailer camera at the hitch but since there is no video wire on the trailer (because its supposed to be wireless) Im not sure how to tie it into the truck screen. Agree that would be the best solution. I have not got the LCD Lippert promised yet but they told me it may be several weeks. Will let you know how the remote LCD works
        Did they send you that monitor for free or did you pay for it? The monitor that they sell is around $225.00.
        Mark & Yvonne
        2022 Reflection 303RLS
        2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
        B&M turnover ball
        Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

​

Comment

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum having purchased a 2022 Reflection 295RL in April 2022. This is my first post. I have had issues with the INSIGHT Backup/Observation Camera part # 2020112846 from the beginning. We did not have the best PDI with the dealer and the camera did not work when attempting to connect after getting the trailer home. I did online research and discovered a number of posts about this camera system. I placed a call to GD Customer support and in their opinion the camera was either bad DOA or was not getting power. This was determined using my cell phone to look for an 'INSIGHT_D06DA7" network after powering up the rig running lights while connected to my truck. The INSIGHT_ network never showed up.

This was in June and the dealers did not have an opening for months. I decided to take the verify power route. In my research I discovered the truck connection cord 15A fuse jumper 12V+ to the running lights circuit HACK, allowing me to get 12V power to the running lights without having my truck in place. After removing the camera from the backwall I installed the 15A fuse jumper. I checked the power at the camera connection and had 13.2V DC. I pulled the power jumper, reconnected the camera reinstalled the power jumper. With the running lights on the INSIGHT_ network showed up on my Phone. I had to make a security setting change to allow connection to the INSIGHT_ network on my phone. After that I was able to connect to the camera through the COMPASS application. I quickly realized that using my phone for the backup/observation camera was not going to work for me. To Small for me. I ordered the Lippert One Control LCD Display for the INSUIGHT Camera. After receiving the LCD Display, I installed it in my truck, powered up the trailer using the 15A fuse jumper, turned the camera on and connected to the camera.

FIXED or so I THOUGHT !!!!! A couple days after apparently fixing the camera we were hooked up and ready to leave. The camera WOULD NOT CONNECT again! Pull the plug and insert Jumper works fine. To shorten a long post let me say. I contacted GD Customer service again. After a very long time on the phone explaining and testing this and that a new Camera was sent to me arriving two weeks later. I connected the new camera as described above and it will not work when the trailer running lights are powered through the truck but will work when the running lights are powered using the jumper. SO NO CHANGE the camera must be fine.

I have checked voltage both with the truck power and jumper power. Truck power is 13.6V and Jumper power is 13.5V. Not sure what am I doing wrong?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same issues and what was done to correct.

2022 Reflection 295RL
          2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Comment

Guest -- any idea why (apparently) the GM product will not power the device?

Brad-TN -- if you have a multimeter, look for AC (yes, AC) "noise" on the line generated somewhere in the truck circuit. Unlikely, but something I'd check. An oscilliscope would be an ideal instrument to see the problem but very few have one.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard, I believe it's been determined that the truck uses a high speed PWM to power the marker lights on the camper. This PWM signal is too fast to power the camera properly (wonder if a capacitor would help).

It's also likely that the PWM on top of the constant voltage is creating some type of "noise", I'll leave that to an RF engineer and not some shade tree guy like me.

Brad, try unhooking the marker light circuit from the truck and running the marker lights from the 12V + on the truck.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

There is a TSB for powering a trailer with LED lighting from GM and on some models. I recall its just moving a wire from one pin to another at the back of the truck and at the trailer control module. He would need to call his GM dealer to discuss.

Try to connect the TV to the rig with the lights on. This will ensure the trailer control module is picking up a load to active the circuits.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the information!!

The issue definitely looks like the PWM that is used on my 2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I looked up the GMC TSB 20-NA-198 which did not exactly address the camera issue, I started down the GMC trail. Following the trail to the Duramax Forum, I learned that Pulse Width Modulation (PVM) is used for a variety of applications from communication of devices or power control. The computer changes the PWM Signal to make a light come on or blink by changing the way the power is presented. This explains why the camera works when connected to the battery.

Next step will be to determine if I should power the camera from the 12V Aux power in the 7-way plug, or direct from the trailer battery.

Thanks again!!

2022 Reflection 295RL
                  2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Comment

Brad-TN I would consider powering it from the 12V in the 7 way unless you plan to use the camera for security purposes when parked.

It should be an easy swap for moving the marker lights to the constant power in the junction box. Just be certain to disconnect the marker lights from the pig tail whip chord so the constant power does not back feed in to the marker circuit of the truck. Ideally a setup with a relay powered by the marker circuit (would have to check that the PWM will power it) to turn the markers on and off from the constant power would be best to keep the markers from staying on when the truck is connected and not running.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I just added the Furrion Vision S camera system (tail fin and 2 side lights) to my 17MKE. I confirmed with Furrion that the following is needed for many newer model tow vehicles to get consistent power to the cameras:

https://furrion.com/products/camera-...h-power-switch.

I have made no attempt to get the camera to display on the built-in screen of my 2022 GMC Yukon SLT (w/ Duramax). That part is recommended even to display on packaged tablet.
                      Rhody_Chris
                      USCG QMC (Retired '99)
                      2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE (IRVina)
                      2022 GMC Yukon SLT w/ 3L Duramax Diesel (Irving)

Comment

Apparently, the issue with backup cameras and vehicles using PWM is well known. It seems a little odd to me that the Customer Service folks do not have the Brand and Year of the tow vehicle as one of their first questions. This could save a lot of time and money.

I decided to purchase the "12V PWM Filter for RV Backup Camera Systems" from etrailer. Although I did not see any Lippert Insight camera references in the reviews there are a number of Furrion references that are very similar.

I will provide an update after installation & testing.

Brad

2022 Reflection 295RL
                        2022 GMC Sierra 2500

Comment

Can anyone tell me if there is an inline fuse in the factory installed insight camera on the 2022 reflection?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom s View Post
                            Can anyone tell me if there is an inline fuse in the factory installed insight camera on the 2022 reflection?
                            I am not aware of any inline fuse for the factory camera prep.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good morning,

I recieved the 12V PWM Fliter today. Installed and the Camera works as designed..... Very happy the issue has been solved!!

Thanks again for the input.

Brad

2022 Reflection 295RL
                              2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by #1Bama View Post

Did they send you that monitor for free or did you pay for it? The monitor that they sell is around $225.00.
                                They shipped it at No Charge

Comment

Working...
                                X