MaxxAir Fanmate Bug Screen Install and Mini Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaxxAir Fanmate Bug Screen Install and Mini Review

First, the why: I've had everything from tree frogs to stink bugs make their way into the MaxxAir covers (added aftermarket) on my 315RLTS. These critters then made there way into the fan blades, making quite the racket (and mess). The screen on the fan kept them out of the RV, but it was unsightly.

So seeing there was an optional bug screen, I thought I'd give them a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FanMate 1.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	82388

The reviews online are not favorable, and I agree their design is less-than-perfect requiring some additional work to seal both the screens to the cover and also the cover to the roof.

Let me hasten to add this modification is relatively recent--if there's any unintended consequences I'll be sure to update this thread.

The issue with these screens is they do not stay seated flush against the cover (as I attempt to show in the picture below). I used Gorilla tape to seal along the offending edge. Some have used zip ties, both will probably work. I even read where some used sealant and clamped the screen in place until the sealant hardened. The tape was quick and easy, and I've had really good luck with exterior-quality Gorilla tape so that's what I went with.

Name:	Fanmate Gap.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	82391

Name:	FanMate 2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	82389

To seal the cover to the RV I used 5/16" x 23/64" Auto & Marine Rubber Weatherseal. This created a nice seal around the bottom-to-RV interface.

Name:	FanMate 3.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	82390

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus
Working...
X