Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 18 cu ft 4 door fridge door alarm

Hello,
    Our Norcold 4 door fridge (model # 2118SSM2) is randomly alarming with a door ajar/open alarm code = dr. This happens at random times with no apparent cause. Our 310GK is level and often the fridge has not been entered/opened for several hours when the alarm sounds. Pushing slightly on the right fridge door will silence the alarm for a period of time (e.g., sometimes hours, other times minutes). Our dealer has been unable to duplicate the condition (even with an owner provided video) and they haven't provided a solution. We are growing very tired of the late night wakeup calls the fridge alarm is providing. Has anyone experienced this? More importantly, is there a known fix for this?
    Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, we have a similar model (2118SST) and issue and occurred on the very first use. I had initially called a mobil tech and after some troubleshooting over the phone, he was convinced it was the left door light switch so I ordered one. Still have not received it, so last night we did more trouble shooting and bypassed that switch; same issue. After investigating more we found that the doors are not consistently depressing the switch enough to cause it to turn off the light so the system thinks the door(s) is open. Have read many times over that this can be corrected by removing the doors and placing a washer on the lower pin which raises the doors enough to properly depress the switch. Plan to perform this correction tonight. Hope it works as well as the tests we performed after identifying the actual cause.

Comment

Originally posted by JLaRue View Post
      Hi, we have a similar model (2118SST) and issue and occurred on the very first use. I had initially called a mobil tech and after some troubleshooting over the phone, he was convinced it was the left door light switch so I ordered one. Still have not received it, so last night we did more trouble shooting and bypassed that switch; same issue. After investigating more we found that the doors are not consistently depressing the switch enough to cause it to turn off the light so the system thinks the door(s) is open. Have read many times over that this can be corrected by removing the doors and placing a washer on the lower pin which raises the doors enough to properly depress the switch. Plan to perform this correction tonight. Hope it works as well as the tests we performed after identifying the actual cause.
      Another benefit of raising the door with the washer is that it will help elevate the flapper on the left side so that it doesn't drag and will flip easier.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We have a brand new 2021 Solitude with the same issue! Very annoying. Read a lot of posts on various websites. Many tried the hinge fix, but didn't work for most people. Using velcro or something similar on the switch itself to get a better connections reportedly works for most people. We're going to try that first. The switch itself seems to be weak. I read many posts going all the way back to 2005! Why hasn't Norcold fixed this issue?

Grand Design Solitude ST390RK 3021
        Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Originally posted by RickH View Post
          We have a brand new 2021 Solitude with the same issue! Very annoying. Read a lot of posts on various websites. Many tried the hinge fix, but didn't work for most people. Using velcro or something similar on the switch itself to get a better connections reportedly works for most people. We're going to try that first. The switch itself seems to be weak. I read many posts going all the way back to 2005! Why hasn't Norcold fixed this issue?

Grand Design Solitude ST390RK 3021
          Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
          Welcome to GD's Technical Forum, RickH. It is amazing to me as well how many issues--that are well known--seem to continue year after year. The good news is that some of the RV companies, like Lippert (a giant provider of parts to the RV industry) is embracing the concept of "constant process improvement". They have a long way to go, but I've personally walked through their factories and witnessed their efforts to make things better.

For example--I wish they'd fix their lousy fold out couch...but that's another story in another thread.

I hope you'll take a few minutes and read the welcome letter that explains how to get the most out of this forum. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X