GD internal satellite wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD internal satellite wiring.

About a month ago, we purchased a 2020 Imagine 2600RB. I want to mount a satellite dish on the roof. I have the cable run pretty much figured out but am unclear if the Dish system will work going into the satellite input in the control box in the cargo bin. The antenna is autoseek and is powered from the receiver. My question is will the antenna work using the internal cable system. The receiver will mount in the cabinet under the TV, so there is going to be a run.

Input from anyone either going this route or has other suggestion on how to make the cable run would be appreciated. I don't want to run the coax through the slider seal for several reasons including we don't want the trip hazard plus we have two active dogs.

Thanks
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

When I'm using my portable dish antenna (Winegard Pathway X2), I hook it to the "Sat" connection in the cargo bin. Then, I attach my receiver at the other end in the cabinet over the TV. The antenna can search with this hookup just fine.

The only issue that happens from time to time is that a connector may work loose. As long as you keep them tight, yours should work fine.

jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the conformation. We are going with the Wingard Playmaker with a Wally receiver.

Norris
      2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
        About a month ago, we purchased a 2020 Imagine 2600RB. I want to mount a satellite dish on the roof. I have the cable run pretty much figured out but am unclear if the Dish system will work going into the satellite input in the control box in the cargo bin. The antenna is autoseek and is powered from the receiver. My question is will the antenna work using the internal cable system. The receiver will mount in the cabinet under the TV, so there is going to be a run. Input from anyone either going this route or has other suggestion on how to make the cable run would be appreciated. I don't want to run the coax through the slider seal for several reasons including we don't want the trip hazard plus we have two active dogs. Thanks
        Does your antenna get powered by the video cable that feeds it?

Heads-up if so... our Winegard Carryout G2 is powered that way and the manual for it asserts that the cable should not be run through splitters and connectors but be directly connected to the box that controls it. I have not tested this assertion, just obediently followed the instruction. I have read one person's report that his works fine running through the trailer's network, but write to make you aware of a *possible* issue.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

A little real-world experience here... I don't know if it is the OEM coax quality, poor splicers and connectors, length of the run(s) or a combination of all these, but our Pathway X2 only worked about half the time when connected through the OEM input in the convenience center in our Reflection 337 - even when the trailer was new. Since all of that is difficult to get to (or just call me lazy), I installed a coax through-hull on the underside of the slide (through the slide floor) right under the entertainment center. An eight-foot length of quad shield coax goes from the through-hull to the Wally and I can run up to 50' of quad shield coax outside now with excellent results. I'm sure the OEM coax installed in the units at the factory is not quad shield and long runs/poor connections result in a control voltage drop and signal loss that many of the automatic portable antennas cannot tolerate. We'll see if things are any better in the new Solitude in a couple of months...

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I appreciate all the input. When the equipment arrives, I'll give the internal wiring a try. I'll move the antenna at least as far as a cable run to the cargo bay connector to make the test at the full run distance. Probably next week since I don't have a estimated delivery date. Shipping is UPS ground from MN to southern GA.
            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
            FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
              A little real-world experience here... I don't know if it is the OEM coax quality, poor splicers and connectors, length of the run(s) or a combination of all these, but our Pathway X2 only worked about half the time when connected through the OEM input in the convenience center in our Reflection 337 - even when the trailer was new. Since all of that is difficult to get to (or just call me lazy), I installed a coax through-hull on the underside of the slide (through the slide floor) right under the entertainment center. An eight-foot length of quad shield coax goes from the through-hull to the Wally and I can run up to 50' of quad shield coax outside now with excellent results. I'm sure the OEM coax installed in the units at the factory is not quad shield and long runs/poor connections result in a control voltage drop and signal loss that many of the automatic portable antennas cannot tolerate. We'll see if things are any better in the new Solitude in a couple of months...

Rob
              I'm having a hard time getting a signal from my Winegard Playmaker Dual to the Wally. I have success if I connect directly from the satellite main coax port to the Wally (I've got the line running through the open door to the Wally). If I connect the satellite to the SAT/Living room in the command center that's where I get confused about the connection. In the cabinet over the TV there is a plate with 2 coax connections, labeled Satellite and Antenna. Do I connect a small coax line to the Satellite then to the Wally? Then the HDMI runs from the Wally to the TV? I hate being helpless with this.... and deeply appreciate help with this issue....
              Cindy
              2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
              2022 Solitude 3330RE
              Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post

I'm having a hard time getting a signal from my Winegard Playmaker Dual to the Wally. I have success if I connect directly from the satellite main coax port to the Wally (I've got the line running through the open door to the Wally). If I connect the satellite to the SAT/Living room in the command center that's where I get confused about the connection. In the cabinet over the TV there is a plate with 2 coax connections, labeled Satellite and Antenna. Do I connect a small coax line to the Satellite then to the Wally? Then the HDMI runs from the Wally to the TV? I hate being helpless with this.... and deeply appreciate help with this issue....
                Cindy
                Yes, Cindy (that was my late wife's name... I little odd answering that way). You connect to SAT/Living Room in the service bay. You then coax from the outlet labeled "SAT" in the entertainment center to the Wally and HDMI from the Wally to the TV.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Yes, Cindy (that was my late wife's name... I little odd answering that way). You connect to SAT/Living Room in the service bay. You then coax from the outlet labeled "SAT" in the entertainment center to the Wally and HDMI from the Wally to the TV.

Rob
                  Hey Rob.... yep that's what I finally figured out.... only took a day and half for that penny to drop ... gotta love the forum for advice and guidance.
                  Cindy
                  2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
                  2022 Solitude 3330RE
                  Cindy & Xena

Comment

I'm still trying to "learn" the ins and outs of my new GD 390 RK and am confused with the inputs from the water bay area. I have a 3 LNB dish and a 722 receiver. This receiver has connections for TV1, the living room and TV2, the bedroom. It is a DVR and can record one channel while I'm watching another channel. I understand the connection to the LR TV but am confused about getting a signal to the bedroom. The owner's manual isn't much help.
                    Thanks, Judy

Comment

Rob
                      Second Chance
                      ​​​​Rob, now that it's been a few months, how is this working for you? We have our Dish guy here right now trying to get our Tailgater & Wally to work. I think he's leaning towards doing the same kind of thing so wanted to see if this solved your problems.

Thanks,
                      Andi
                      Andi
                      Brookings SD
                      2018 Reflection 337RLS
                      2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Second Chance
                        ​​​​Rob, now that it's been a few months, how is this working for you? We have our Dish guy here right now trying to get our Tailgater & Wally to work. I think he's leaning towards doing the same kind of thing so wanted to see if this solved your problems.

Thanks,
                        Andi
                        Andi,

The factory wiring worked OK in the Solitude... for a while. I ended up having to cut the coax where it exits the slide underneath the entertainment center, put a connector and female-to-female (gold plated) adapter on it, and connecting my external quad shield coax straight to that - bypassing the rest of the internal setup. What made things confusing during trouble-shooting was the fact that the coax connector on the back of the Wally was going bad, too (intermittent or poor contact on the center connector). I ordered a new Wally and things still work much better connected directly under the entertainment center (no control voltage loss). Keep in mind that this is all with a Pathway X2 antenna - the largest reflector and hence the strongest signal of any of the automatic portable antennas.

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Andi,

The factory wiring worked OK in the Solitude... for a while. I ended up having to cut the coax where it exits the slide underneath the entertainment center, put a connector and female-to-female (gold plated) adapter on it, and connecting my external quad shield coax straight to that - bypassing the rest of the internal setup. What made things confusing during trouble-shooting was the fact that the coax connector on the back of the Wally was going bad, too (intermittent or poor contact on the center connector). I ordered a new Wally and things still work much better connected directly under the entertainment center (no control voltage loss). Keep in mind that this is all with a Pathway X2 antenna - the largest reflector and hence the strongest signal of any of the automatic portable antennas.

Rob
                          Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry you didn't have any better luck with the Solitude. We couldn't get our Wally to talk to our Tailgater, even directly wired to a TV outside of the RV. Tried 2 different Coax cables too. Dish guy came out and cut us new coax, it finally worked! Then drilled a hole in the floor of the slide under the entertainment center and ran a short piece of coax from Wally to outside. Now we just hook directly to the satellite also. Thanks for the ideas!

Andi
                          Andi
                          Brookings SD
                          2018 Reflection 337RLS
                          2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it doesn't make sense to start a new one for this topic.

We take delivery of our M399th next week, and we plan on running the Winegard X2. My question has to do with using both Satellite outputs from the dish. There will be a Dish receiver at each TV (hopefully, if I can make it work), and we can watch different channels on any TV. No more than 2 TVs on at one time. There may not be room for a receiver at the outdoor TV, but that's another topic.

My plan is for the "Sat" port on the outdoor panel to connect to the primary dish port. I'll connect the secondary dish port to the "Cable" connection. I've been told that the living room and outdoor TV cables are bussed together, and the bedroom and garage TVs are bussed together on the 399th. I may have this mixed up, but I can tone the cables to make sure.

Anyway, the living room receiver will always be on (unless underway), thus providing power to the dish. All other receivers will have DC blocking feedthrough connectors so the receiver doesn't get hit with power from multiple sources.

Does this idea make sense? Have any other 399th owners done something similar?

TIA!
                            Chuck & Madelyn
                            2021 Momentum 399th, built 8/20
                            2020 Ram 3500 MC DRW 4x4, 6.7 HO
                            Going full time 11/1

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_N View Post
                              I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it doesn't make sense to start a new one for this topic.

We take delivery of our M399th next week, and we plan on running the Winegard X2. My question has to do with using both Satellite outputs from the dish. There will be a Dish receiver at each TV (hopefully, if I can make it work), and we can watch different channels on any TV. No more than 2 TVs on at one time. There may not be room for a receiver at the outdoor TV, but that's another topic.

My plan is for the "Sat" port on the outdoor panel to connect to the primary dish port. I'll connect the secondary dish port to the "Cable" connection. I've been told that the living room and outdoor TV cables are bussed together, and the bedroom and garage TVs are bussed together on the 399th. I may have this mixed up, but I can tone the cables to make sure.

Anyway, the living room receiver will always be on (unless underway), thus providing power to the dish. All other receivers will have DC blocking feedthrough connectors so the receiver doesn't get hit with power from multiple sources.

Does this idea make sense? Have any other 399th owners done something similar?

TIA!
                              The satellite antenna will not work with the "Cable" coax runs. They have too many splitters and go through the antenna amplifier. In fact, often the OEM satellite coax run is not of high enough quality (again, too many splice connectors, not quad-shield coax) to operate the automatic portable antennas. I've had to install dedicated short runs with quad-shield in both of out GD fifth wheels to get the Pathway X2 to operate reliably.

Rob
                              Last edited by Second Chance; 09-26-2020, 12:31 PM.
                              Rob & Laura
                              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X