OneControl and internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneControl and internet?

It's really nice that I can control my 381m with my phone, but there seems to be an ENORMOUS oversight. For me to be able to connect to the RV, I need to be connected to the RV's router. When that happens, since the wifi is connected, that is what my android phone (Samsung note 10) goes thru for internet. Obviously there is no internet coming from the RV. So I either have to easily control my RV or have access to internet on my phone. (Or inconveniently switch wifi on and off).

Is that right? Has anyone figured out a workaround?
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

timelinex -- I believe you nailed it. Your description of the issue is why (I think) Lippert is going with bluetooth connections (vs WiFi) on the next generation of their OneControl boards. (Lippert is the OEM of the OneControl system.)

ncitro -- did I miss anything?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I guess Reflection uses a different One Control system than Momentum. My 2021 Reflection 315RLTS uses the Compass Connect App which connects through Bluetooth, not WiFi. Interesting that it's different.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
        I guess Reflection uses a different One Control system than Momentum. My 2021 Reflection 315RLTS uses the Compass Connect App which connects through Bluetooth, not WiFi. Interesting that it's different.
        Yep--the Momentum uses the Unity X4 board with a separate WiFi interface control. All the other lines use an X1, X1.5 or X180 board that has bluetooth built-in.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson No you nailed it, I know we discussed this at length. I even talked to the guys at Lippert about connecting the one control to an RVs internal network so you could have internet access while connected to it and that was not supported. I believe there are people who have done that (I don't have one control or I'd be attempting it).

I don't have Android any more, but I used to. For work I frequently need to connect to networks that do not have internet to configure equipment and have had the problem timelinex is describing. There used to be a workaround to force Android to use mobile data when on a wifi connection. I found this guide but it's somewhat dated. It might help find the settings though.

https://jrklein.com/2019/04/06/using...k-ios-android/
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            howson No you nailed it, I know we discussed this at length. I even talked to the guys at Lippert about connecting the one control to an RVs internal network so you could have internet access while connected to it and that was not supported. I believe there are people who have done that (I don't have one control or I'd be attempting it).

I don't have Android any more, but I used to. For work I frequently need to connect to networks that do not have internet to configure equipment and have had the problem timelinex is describing. There used to be a workaround to force Android to use mobile data when on a wifi connection. I found this guide but it's somewhat dated. It might help find the settings though.

https://jrklein.com/2019/04/06/using...k-ios-android/
            Appreciate the link, I will check it out.

I am pretty good with tech and tried the normal things. I figured maybe I could login to the router and change settings but looks like they locked out the regular portal and advertise their 4g service instead at 192.168.1.2 . I did find a thread that showed how you could supposedly flash the router to open WRT , but with 2 toddlers running around I'm too busy to deal with the inevitable repercussion's of changing from stock
            2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

"inevitable repercussion's of changing from stock"

I am going to paste this to my wall in the garage, maybe it will remind me when I decide that something could work better if I fixed it.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is a link to a video about replacing the Lippert router. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Qpx_4d78I. This is what we are in the process of working out now. Narrowing down the hardware we want , then comes the installation.
                2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                Formerly M&K337

Comment

Lippert changed something with their connection at some point. I was able to connect to the LCI router and still have internet on my Cell (Samsung and Pixel). On the phone, there's an option that you select "Use cellular data when WiFi connection does not have internet". Like I said, it worked fine for a while. Then during one of the updates, I think when LCI revamped the app, I lost the ability to do so. I don't think it's a matter of moving to Bluetooth, I think it's a matter of you having to sign up for the SIM/Cellular service to have internet while connected.

In the near future, I'm just going to run an access point through the LCI system and call it good.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                    Lippert changed something with their connection at some point. I was able to connect to the LCI router and still have internet on my Cell (Samsung and Pixel). On the phone, there's an option that you select "Use cellular data when WiFi connection does not have internet". Like I said, it worked fine for a while. Then during one of the updates, I think when LCI revamped the app, I lost the ability to do so. I don't think it's a matter of moving to Bluetooth, I think it's a matter of you having to sign up for the SIM/Cellular service to have internet while connected.

In the near future, I'm just going to run an access point through the LCI system and call it good.
                    Right. I wonder if it is LCI or Android changed something. The problem is that when you select that option these days, it means it will disconnect from that wifi connection. I'm not sure if in the past it may have stayed connected but used 3g for external traffic. Not sure.

I've been thinking of what I should do. I almost committed to adding a router which will act as a bridge from my mobile hotspot on my phone...Which my phone will then take internet from LCI, which takes internet from the bridge, which takes internet from my phone.

But that will probably present its own difficulties and maybe slow response. So I will probably end up saying the hell with it and use an old phone connected to my RV as the portable controller
                    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      "inevitable repercussion's of changing from stock"

I am going to paste this to my wall in the garage, maybe it will remind me when I decide that something could work better if I fixed it.

Brian
                      Alright guys, we all should have known, but I LIED.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I replaced the LCI router with a small travel router. It was relatively easy to get everything working. On the hardware side I just plugged the LAN's cables from LCI to the new one and fabricated a power solution. On the software side I just needed to change the router IP to 192.168.1.2, change the SSID to MyRV_ one , change the password to the GD provided one and thats about it.

What pushed me to take action is the first time I stayed at an RV park, I couldn't get the roku tv's working bc they wouldn't connect to the wifi. Going through the splashpad on the gateway wasn't working. Now it will be alot easier. All I'll have to do is permanently connect all the TV's and everything else to the router wifi. Then when I hop on the wifi through the router, everything else falls into place from there and starts working. This also solves the "no wifi while connected to MyRV" issue as long as the park has WIFI!
                      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

timelinex -- awesome! Going to copy that post to a Reference Material thread all it's own so owners who have the LCI router (and come looking for a solution) can find it.

MK397THR -- the video linked in post 8 is quite in-depth. Not for novices, but for those like ncitro it should be quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          timelinex -- awesome! Going to copy that post to a Reference Material thread all it's own so owners who have the LCI router (and come looking for a solution) can find it.

MK397THR -- the video linked in post 8 is quite in-depth. Not for novices, but for those like ncitro it should be quite interesting.
                          If you are including this in reference material, I can probably do a clearer job explaining what I did step by step. Let me know if you want me to add a post with better directions!
                          2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post

If you are including this in reference material, I can probably do a clearer job explaining what I did step by step. Let me know if you want me to add a post with better directions!
                            Please do , it will surely help someone trying the same thing.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Please do , it will surely help someone trying the same thing.

Brian
                              Originally posted by howson View Post

OK howson , so here is a good summary.

Here is what this will do:
                              • Prevent the annoyance that when you are connected to the RV, you can't access internet on your phone until you disconnect from the RV.
                              • Allow your RV to connect to internet without purchasing a plan. Which includes accessing the RV through the internet when not even connected to the RV router locally.
                              • Allow all your "smart" devices, like TV's with roku's, to be hands off after initial installation. All you have to do is connect them to your MyRV_xxx once and from there on in you never have to set them up for new RV Parks or anything like that. The new WIFI's at new parks will be configured on the router (step 9), and the internet will pass through the router to the TV or all other devices connected to MyRV_xxx.
                              • If you have a dual modem phone (many new phones), then you can technically have your RV online even when there is no WIFI. Set up a WIFI hotspot on your phone and have your new router connect to it. Then everything in your RV will use your phone internet (keep in mind it will use up your Phone DATA plan!). Then you can stay connected to the RV and you won't have any internet access issues even when connected to the RV router with your phone.
                              Here is how you can replace your LCI router. You can google/Amazon the products I used as I'm not sure about forum rules associated with linking products directly.
                              1. Purchase a router that is designed to work as a repeater like a travel router. You can technically use most routers, but a travel repeater router will have easier to work with interface and power options. I used a "GL.iNet GL-MT1300".
                              2. Purchase your powering solution for your router. My router is powered by USB-C. So I purchased a "Car DC Charger for nintendo switch" and a "Cigarette lighter Socket extension". The Cigarette lighter socket extension comes with a cigarette lighter port on one side and bare wires on the other side. You MAY be able to find something that goes directly from 12v black/white wires to usb-c. However, I liked the idea of also having a cigarette lighter power in my RV somewhere "just in case".
                              3. Your Trailer should have 3 pieces of electronics on top of the cabinets. The one that has a piece of black tape over one of it's ports is the router. Follow the power cables (black/red) till the two wires reach their own wire nuts. These wire nuts are where you will pull power from. You can remove these specific wires from the wirenut as you don't want to power the LCI router anymore. Mine were crimped, so it was a bit of a hassle to get them out, but a flathead screwdriver can help. In their place, put the correct color wire from the Cigarette Lighter Socket Extension wires in there. You will need to use a new wire nut and I needed to strip the wire ends.
                              4. Put the Car DC Charger into the socket of the unit you just attached. Now you have a USB-C cable to plug into your router. Plug the USB-C into your router. There may be 2 LAN cables that go FROM your LCI Router. Take those out of the LCI Router and plug them into the LAN marked ports of the new router. Make sure it isn't the WAN port. You can use that as a LAN port too with many routers, but you would have to manually change it to a LAN port in the settings.
                              5. Give it a few minutes to power up.
                              6. Connect to the router WIFI and login to the admin panel with your Laptop (you can do through the phone, it's just a little bit more clunky and slow). Each router is different, but read the direction on how to login to your router. The IP for my router was 192.168.8.1.
                              7. You will need to do the following things in any order. Each router will have these settings in different places, so you can either read the manual or just go through each and every tab of settings till you find what you are looking for. Don't be discouraged, it's very simple. After each of these steps, your router may restart itself, so don't panic. Wait for it to reboot.
                                • Change the SSID name of the 2.4Ghz connection to your personal "MyRV_xxx". Use the same password as your LCI one. Make sure to use the correct capitalization for BOTH.
                                • Change the admin login panel IP (Known as LAN IP) from that 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.1.2 . In my router it is under "more settings" then "lan IP"
                                • Go to Internet settings and go to the "repeater" section. Press scan and add the wifi info that you are connecting to that will give you internet.
                                • You may not have to do the following, but for some reason I did have to do it before the internet worked. Go to DNS Server settings (More settings/Custom DNS Server on my router) and tick the "Manual DNS Server Settings option. Then put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into the fields. Again, yours SHOULD work without doing this but mine did not.
                                • The other setting you may or may not have to change is also in the Custom DNS Server settings page. If for some reason logging into a WIFI provided by the RV park doesn't work, you can unselect the "DNS Rebinding Attack Protection" setting.
                              8. Everything should now work and your RV should be none the wiser! You can also go to lippert.force.com to make an account and register your RV. The Kcode is on your LCI Cloud part. Just look at all the stickers on the electronics up there and you will see KCode somewhere on one of them. Now, as long as you are connected to some kind of wifi, your RV is accessible from anywhere.
                              9. When you are on a new wifi, all you have to do is login to your router (connect to your MyRV_xxx and go to 192.168.1.2). Change the WIFI repeater connection to the wifi of the new place. Then wait for it to reboot if it has to, reconnect to your MyRV_xxx and go to any internet website. If there is a splash page you need to go through to connect to internet, you will see it pop up and you can login. This will login the router automatically and from there on in anything connected to the router will have internet and not need to login.
                              Thats it! Don't be put off by the wall of text. I just wanted to make sure every step is described... But this can be done in less than an hour.
                              2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Working...
                              X