Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New problem, Furrion microwave / convection got hot while I was sleeping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New problem, Furrion microwave / convection got hot while I was sleeping.

Yesterday morning, Kelly used the microwave before she went to work and when I got home shortly after I saw or heard nothing to make me think that there was anything going on. Fast forward 6 1/2 hours and I got up, smelled something funny and was unable to locate the source, got my drink and back to bed. An hour and half later, I get up and smell is stronger. I'm looking for it and as I pass the microwave I feel a lot of heat and open it to a very strong smell. All of the cabinetry around it was hot and not remembering where my infrared thermometer is, I grabbed the next best hing that was my indoor / outdoor thermometer. I stick it inside and closed the door and ended up with 135 degrees. I immediately popped the breaker and left it off. Only the bedroom is exposed to direct sun. This a new on on me. Does anybody have an idea othe than the convection heating unit or the microwave (lose of word here) emitter turned itself on? No fan and turntable not moving, and digital read out was at zero (as usual). I'll post model and serial number later, and contact customer service. I haven't recieved anything about the heat shield campaign and haven't thought twice about that.

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

ThePowells -- pure speculation on my part: the appliance's control or power supply board is failing. Interesting that the failure was (obviously) drawing power but not enough to pop the circuit breaker.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My wild guess would be the relay for the heating element failed closed. Which in itself would be odd, relays normally fail open.
      The magnetron does generate some heat but I don't think that much.
      The relay is probably on the control board......... so agreeing with the RV tech.....again.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

howson I agree on the circuit board. I'm not surprised that the breaker didn't pop. When I came home this morning and turned the breaker back on, it took less than 15 minutes to get to 103 degrees and I cut it back off. The heat was being created in the top and slightly left of center. I don't think it is drawing more than the normal heating cycle for the convection, plus the fan isn't running. I hope I can get it pulled out this evening. I haven't had any luck on a search for a similar failure as most hits are related to the heat shield issue or blown fuses inside the microwave.

The model # is FMCM15-55, S# 111901955-0629019-00204.

I tried to post before Scott'n'Wendy but missed the post button. I agree that it is the control board and not affecting the magnetron. After looing back into my three ring binder, the warranty is one year which puts us waaaaaaay outside any consideration, so I guess looking for a new one is the next step. I will send it to the mothership anyway simply to document the issue in case a pattern develops.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Hope things have improved, but due to supply chain problems it took us 6 weeks to get a replacement last summer. We got by with a countertop microwave in the interim.

As others have stated, the Furrion is HEAVY. Recommend building a support structure under it before trying to remove. Milkcrate, scrape lumber, and pillows work well.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, you may keep up with this thread as if it gets replace that may be an option for the part you need.'

OP, Jim is looking for a trim piece. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...defective-unit
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

JBill9694 Thanks for that tip. If there is something I have a lot of, it's cribbing.
              Jlawles2 Jim can have it is soon as SWMBO becomes unhappy about not having the microwave.
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
              X