Ceramic Fiber Blanket Behind Refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Fiber Blanket Behind Refrigerator

Note: Pulled the first two posts for this thread from the IMPORTANT!! 2021 303RLS Refrigerator Wiring Caused FIRE!!! thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...sed-fire/page2 Thought this topic was important enough to have it's own discussion so moved here -- hope theboss17 doesn't mind. -Howard (Moderator)

So about a year ago when this <refrigerator fires due to wiring issue> first came to light i call and they did not know anything about it. Two concerns. 1 was this wire problem and 2 was the wall to the right(stove side would get really hot. Hotter then i would like as in to the touch was way to hot. The heat is coming from the refrigerator heat stack. So i pulled the refrigerator out to investigate. Found no wire to be concerned with. That was good. But this needed a fix for the heat. After researching i decided to use a ceramic filter blanket. I removed the red insulation and covered the wall front to back top to bottom with spy glue and staples. Now zero heat on the wall. A Ceramic fiber blanket will not catch fire and will not transfer heat. Iam no tech so do your own research. I did and feel comfortable with what i did. I will post pictures once i figure how to
    Last edited by howson; 05-07-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

theboss17 -- new topic for me so started googling and watching YouTube videos. I must admit that the video below alarmed me with what the presenter was saying about these blankets and the harm they can cause to an individual's respiratory system..

What am I missing?

Let me repeat that I am ignorant on this subject so I'm only trying to understand.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So the blanket it sealed off from the inside of the RV.

Comment

Ok, so I actually make the “Pink” insulation shown in the OPs post. I also spec use of high temperature blanket. Unless your temperatures are going to exceed 900 deg F, the pink insulation will work just fine in the application noted (it’s made of glass). We actually make linings for stoves and dishwashers (acoustic) but with a special binder. The Ceramic fiber shown will cause no harm unless it is in service above 1200 degrees for long periods of time. Since a residential oven will never exceed 500 degrees, the pink insulation will do the job. The high temp (white insulation) is overkill in this application, but if it gives peace of mind, go with it.
          Tim & Beth
          2022 Transcend Xplor 265BH
          2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Tow Pkg

Comment

Originally posted by NerkGDguy View Post
            Ok, so I actually make the “Pink” insulation shown in the OPs post. I also spec use of high temperature blanket. Unless your temperatures are going to exceed 900 deg F, the pink insulation will work just fine in the application noted (it’s made of glass). We actually make linings for stoves and dishwashers (acoustic) but with a special binder. The Ceramic fiber shown will cause no harm unless it is in service above 1200 degrees for long periods of time. Since a residential oven will never exceed 500 degrees, the pink insulation will do the job. The high temp (white insulation) is overkill in this application, but if it gives peace of mind, go with it.
            Agreed.. I was more concerned about the open flam side of the fridge where the heat stack is. seeing as I covered the entire wall with it. the wall where the heat stack is was not insulated so the wall itself was getting almost to hot to touch. Now not heat on the wall itself. when I looked up non flammable insulation types this is all I could find for open flames.

Comment

Working...
            X