Dometic Refrigerator in 2022 Reflection 295RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Refrigerator in 2022 Reflection 295RL

We bought our new 2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel last fall. This past weekend was our first camping trip with it.

When packing at home, we noticed the refrigerator wasn't cooling down as fast as our other campers have. We figured we just didn't give it enough time - and thought by the time we got to the campsite it would be fine.

Once we got to the campground, I opened the refrigerator and the smell of ammonia was so strong, it took my breath away. Soon the entire camper was overtaken with the smell.

We called the Wixom, MI service department immediately - only to find out they couldn't get us in until JULY. They told us to call around to other locations, and the earliest we could get an appointment is June (a month from now).

We weren't able to use our BRAND NEW camper - we had friends and family camping with us, so we had to go and get tents and coolers so that we could camp.

Has anyone ever had this experience? I am really hoping that someone at Grand Design will help and get this fixed ASAP. I have reservations all summer, and I don't know if I should cancel our plans.
    Last edited by Michelle Angell; 05-09-2022, 05:25 PM. Reason: Update - I got a hold of customer service, and they said they will reimburse $150.00 for a mini refrigerator and $200.00 to have a mobile repair tech come out to diagnose the problem. The repair tech

Originally posted by Michelle Angell View Post
    I am really hoping that someone at Grand Design will help and get this fixed ASAP. I have reservations all summer, and I don't know if I should cancel our plans.
    The ammonia smell means the absorption section on the back of the refrigerator has a leak. The only recourse is a replacement of the cooling section or replacement of the refrigerator.

Call Grand Design Customer Service (phone number on the right side, home page of this forum) and explain the situation. They may authorize a mobile repair technician. Keep in mind that you'll be responsible to pay the "service fee" a mobile technician charges to come to you. (The cost varies.) Also be prepared for the mobile technician to require full payment (from you) for their work. Then you will have to follow up with GD for reimbursement.

Probably not what you wanted to read, but it's a way to get your refrigerator fixed and salvage your summer plans.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Seriously, that's how GD will handle that? It's concerning because we are waiting on our new Solitude and if something goes wrong with it that big that soon, I would think that GD would do WAY more to make things right, especially considering how much we are paying for these new rigs now. One of the reasons we went with GD is because of how well they helped us with our Imagine.

Sad if that is the best they can do.
      Allen and Cyndi
      Ford-a Venture!!!
      Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Comment

Originally posted by AMires in TX View Post
        Seriously, that's how GD will handle that? It's concerning because we are waiting on our new Solitude and if something goes wrong with it that big that soon, I would think that GD would do WAY more to make things right, especially considering how much we are paying for these new rigs now. One of the reasons we went with GD is because of how well they helped us with our Imagine.

Sad if that is the best they can do.
        Their primary tool for warranty repairs is your selling dealer. As an acknowledgement of the current backlog most dealers have for service, they've been authorizing the use of mobile repair techs as Howard suggested. Unfortunately they have no direct control over either of these businesses. The mobile techs usually charge a fee to come out (on top of the actual charge to make the repair), and this varies from tech to tech. This call out fee is the only charge Grabs Design normally does not cover. On top of that, the mobile techs are small usually one man shops. They do not have the time or staff to manage warranty paperwork for all of the brands out there. They request payment from the owner and then the owner seeks reimbursement from their manufacturer. That's why you should open a case with Grand Design first and get approval, so you know exactly what charges (if any) you'll be responsible for.

It's certainly an option to wait for your dealer to have availability if you want the repair 100% covered, or even make an appointment at the factory service center, and you'll be 100% covered there as well. This is simply an option for people who want to get on the road sooner.

Michelle Angell Another option would be to reach out to them and see if they'll authorize a replacement fridge and get it sent out to your dealer ahead of your June appointment. That way at least it will be there waiting for you. I would hope once the ammonia all leaked out the smell would go away, in that case you should be able to use the RV, and either use coolers to get by until you can get it repaired?

Last edited by ncitro; 05-09-2022, 11:10 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If equipped with a maxxair fan, I suggest setting it on high and opening either the door or the bathroom vent to provide fresh air to enter the trailer.

Be cautions as ammonia absorbs moisture and likes to attach membranes of the human body.

I suggest taking pictures as the ammonia will most likely release a dust with it as well that is intended to help identify the leak. (parents had one do this) Hopefully GD is willing to ship the replacement part. If you choose to go the mobile tech route, ask if they are an authorized repair provider for Domestic. I got lucky and found one when I had AC issues. He actually did the paperwork and got paid directly by Dometic along with them shipping him the part.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X