Dometic fridge:works on propane but not 110v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic fridge:works on propane but not 110v

For anyone that read my previous post, my SIL wired an RV plug for me and mistakenly wired it 240v. It blew my power converter and microwave. It has since been rewired.
    I believe it has caused an issue with my refrigerator as well. It works fine on propane but not on AC. the indicator light on the front of the fridge shows it is working but does not get cold. It did blow a fuse in the back circuit board. That has been replaced.
    Since the default is AC when plugged in, the only way I can get the fridge to work on gas is to unplug it.

Does anyone have any ideas? We are leaving Monday for a trip.

What model fridge is it?
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I'd guess the electric htr element is fried. Easy to replace. Also easy to ohm out to verify w/info from manual.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard, but there's also going to be a relay somewhere (possibly on the board) that takes the signal from the thermostat and switches the 120 to the element. I'd think 240 applied to that relay would release the magic smoke. If it's the board I'd recommend Dinosaur as a replacement, I've used them in fridges and water heaters with great success.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you.
          when I turn it on, I do hear a couple of clicks from the back.
          I will test today and respond.

Comment

Bobn1369 Is there not a selector switch on the front of the fridge at the main controls for gas/elec? On the last one I had, "auto" was 120 volt AC when available. The other position was gas. It would continue to run on gas until told otherwise, or you ran out of gas.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
            X