Water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater

Do you leave the water heater ON, or just when you're using it? Either gas or electric

If we are at the campsite or near in the campground it is on. If we leave for a while we turn in off as well as the water supply. We have electric/gas and if we are on shore power we turn the gas on when showering to extend the hot water.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      If we are at the campsite or near in the campground it is on. If we leave for a while we turn in off as well as the water supply. We have electric/gas and if we are on shore power we turn the gas on when showering to extend the hot water.

Brian
      Thank you Brian

Comment

Basically the same routine. Shut the water supply off when away but we keep the water heater off until the early evening.
        Robert and Chris
        2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
        2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

I will add if we are only using propane it only gets turned on before needing, then it stays off. We only leave it on when we have shore power.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We do a lot of dry camping. We only turn the water heater on if we're going to take a shower, then turn it off right after. We heat water on the stove for washing dishes.

JIm
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              We do a lot of dry camping. We only turn the water heater on if we're going to take a shower, then turn it off right after. We heat water on the stove for washing dishes.

JIm
              The more I ask, the more I learn!

Comment

Originally posted by arjerram View Post
                The more I ask, the more I learn!
                If you're in a hurry to heat the water, you can turn on BOTH the propane and electric (assuming the camper is on shore power).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Something to be aware of is the pressure buildup when turning on the water heater. If a faucet is not opened during the heating cycle, the system water pressure will climb past 70 psi. If the air space in the water heater has been absorbed into the water, the system pressure will go past 100 psi. If the pressure relief valve is dripping . . . this happens at 140 psi.

Several on this forum have installed a system water pressure gauge and can confirm the above information. The inlet hose pressure regulator has no control over pressure increase within the water system past the inlet check valve. As I have mentioned several times on this forum . . . installing a system pressure gauge is the best $15 you can spend on learning lots of things about your RV water system.

If you install a residential style accumulator tank, this pressure rise due to heating will be negligible . . . and your pump will come on less often . . . but, I digress .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was amazed how loud my water tank is when I use the propane to heat it up. the tank is on the awning side of the rig so that would one factor on the noise level. I only have it on when we need to use it.

Comment

That's what we do now. It's surprising how quickly it heats up too.

Comment

Working...
                      X