12 v Fridge door not staying closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 v Fridge door not staying closed

Hi , we just bought a fifthwheel reflection 260rd 2022 , for the first ride with.... imagine .... the fridge door open ... all the things on the wall 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️, and the same thing happen when we come back!!!
    we have the new fridge 12V , two doors.
    it doesn’t come with a lock !!! Do other people have the same problem???? Thanks

The Furrion fridge that I have has latches at the handle where you open the doors, does yours not have the latch?

I have moved your post out to its own thread for better response and to keep the other thread on topic.

Please have a read of our Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have the Furrion 12v fridge in our Transcend and it has a latch at the top of the door. If we just push the door closed like your normal kitchen fridge, the door won't actually latch closed and will open during travel. We have to press the latch down WHILE pushing the door closed in order for the latch hook to seat properly and prevent the door from opening during travel. I don't know if this is by design or if it is improperly adjusted. I did try to adjust it but was unsuccessful in changing this mode of operation.

Randy

Comment

I have the same fridge the freezer door latches and opens by pressing on the latch handle but the refrigerator door requires a screwdriver under latch to open. Latches easy to close.

Comment

I had to adjust ours, no big deal.
          Ottertail, Minnesota
          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I did two things. My latch just barely caught so I went online and found someone that was making 3D adjustable latches. I found that on the Forest River forums. This helped tremendously with holding the door shut and then purchased from GD the tie down that they use for newer models. I now don't have to fish out my food from under the slide when I get to my destination!
            Attached Files
            Tim and Nora
            2021 Transcend 260 RB

Comment

I have the same issue 2022 MY 260RD and there is NO LATCH .... nothing to adjust ..... are you kidding me. Someone thought the doors would stay closed while traveling? I'm working on something myself. Will post when complete.

Comment

Originally posted by tabnab View Post
                I did two things. My latch just barely caught so I went online and found someone that was making 3D adjustable latches. I found that on the Forest River forums. This helped tremendously with holding the door shut and then purchased from GD the tie down that they use for newer models. I now don't have to fish out my food from under the slide when I get to my destination!
                Is this for the Furrion 12 v fridge? I am interested in the new latch part.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It is yes Brian, the Furrion 12 v fridge. No latch anywhere. See this thread also: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...testers-needed

Comment

Brian, It is on my Furrion 12V fridge. I think this helped the most and I also backed it up with the bungee. Here is where I ordered it from. There wasn't much info from the owner but I followed these directions and I received it in a timely manner. My upper latch just barely was catching the lip of the piece that it latches into and with this adjustable receptacle I was able to get a good bite on the upper and lower catches.The bungee was added as a backup. Link below. Send your name and address.
                    • Sorry for the delay. Please paypal $15 to andy@britishideas.com Thanks.
                      Posted March 17, 2022 at 5:04 am by AndyA Seller
                    Tim and Nora
                    2021 Transcend 260 RB

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      The Furrion fridge that I have has latches at the handle where you open the doors, does yours not have the latch?

I have moved your post out to its own thread for better response and to keep the other thread on topic.

Please have a read of our Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
                      We don’t have latch, our fridge is a fusion 12V 16 cu ft.
                      It’s the big one and there no latch.

Comment

I think there's a bit of confusion here about the Furrion DC refrigerators. The big one is the 16 cubic foot, side by side and it latches via a plastic cap that snaps over the top of the two doors. I've seen a few reports of owners not receiving the cap, if so I'd contact Gravd Design or your dealer and ask for one.

There is also a smaller top and bottom fridge/freezer that is 10 cubic foot. That's the one Brian has and latches as he describes.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

For reference, this is the 16 cu ft 12v fridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220526_082852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	86129

And here are a couple shots of the "latch" they give you from the factory. It's a piece of molded plastic probably 10 inches long that caps over the top of the 2 doors. I'm guessing that some dealerships thought it was packing material and tossed it instead of sending it with the buyer, or didn't explain what it was and buyers may have tossed it. Either way, I think far fewer of them are in use than should be.

It's not a perfect design. The doors can still pull slightly away from the fridge box breaking the seal but it's certainly better than nothing and prevents food from hitting the floor. I know from posts on these boards there is something in the works to help solve this problem, hopefully we'll all know more about it soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220526_082922.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	86130

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220526_082948.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	86131
                          Last edited by WondersAwait; 05-26-2022, 08:44 AM.
                          David and Deana
                          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                          2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

The plastic U channel doesn't work. I have the 16 cu ft fridge. First time out 18 miles there and back and the doors flew open in both directions. This should be a recall. If the plastic was long enough that it covered the length of the doors to stay in place it might have a chance of working but it slides fore and aft. I made my own solution. I haven't road tested it yet but in the driveway it's solid. I'm thinking even if the knob is a little loose that's ok since there is sufficient weight on top of the fridge that it'll stay put and keep the doors closed. In fact I don't want to crank down on it and damage the door seals. I'd rather leave it a little loose. I have $2 (for the bolt) and few trips between the RV and table saw into it. Hope someone else finds it useful.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	86294
                            Last edited by Michigan_Mulls; 05-28-2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Michigan_Mulls -- please post a follow-up once road tested. Once confirmed there aren't unexpected issues, I'd like to copy your post and make it a standalone in the Reference Library.

Howard

P.S. Nice work!
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X