No announcement yet.

12 v Fridge door not staying closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got home from an extended holiday weekend. 3 hour drive north - fridge doors stayed closed. 3 hour drive south - fridge doors stayed closed. So I'm declaring success. When you put it in place on top of the fridge you have to feel both sides to make sure it's flat to the top. Just snug tight - no need to crank down on the knob. All the best, Ted

Comment

Nice design. With the factory plastic one, why not cut the legs of the C in the center between the doors, heat slightly and bend inward. This will prevent the C from sliding side to side and can easily be clipped in place.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

2500RL Had to shim the freezer door up by placing nylon washers around lower hinge pin of the freezer to move the door up as needed to correct the latch catch to suit my liking.
        Last edited by Frank L; 06-04-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Hi, we have a 260rd 2022 with the stanless frigo, when we are on the road the doors open? And all the things go on the floor... Do other people have the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Fcusson View Post
            Hi, we have a 260rd 2022 with the stanless frigo, when we are on the road the doors open? And all the things go on the floor... Do other people have the same problem?
            There's a black plastic lock that snaps over the top of the doors to keep them shut. I've seen a few that didn't get theirs, they look like packing material and might have gotten thrown away. WondersAwait had a picture of his somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Fcusson View Post

Post 13 here:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...staying-closed
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

A few people complained that the plastic piece referenced above didn't work for them. It has worked for me so far but admittedly I haven't towed my rig more than some pretty local parks on very smooth and level roads. It probably doesn't hold up great on longer hauls.

Some people have made DIY mods to hold their doors closed, like using the hook command strip and short bungees, or even brackets; pretty inventive if you ask me.

As stated in my previous post linked above, there is someone I know developing an aftermarket "lock" for this model fridge and I'm anxiously awaiting an update from him via email. You can bet it'll be posted on these boards once there is an update worth sharing as many have shared complaints about these fridge doors staying closed.
                David and Deana
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

New here and brand new to RVing. We took out our Reflection 278BH for the first time with the 10Cu ft !2v fridge and started also having latching problems. Here is what I noticed. We loaded milk and sodas in the door like we do at home but it seems these little fridge doors cant take the weight. At first it was latching but by the end of the second day it would not anymore. What had happend was that the lower door hinge bracket was bending under the weight. This was causing the door latch to actually go under the catch on the fridge. Also the catch was installed a little high from factory so the freezer door was almost not catching as well. I think the above solution with the 3d printed adjustable catch is the easy solution. I was able to do a quick fix wedging some paper under the hinge to get us working on the trip. I will post some pictures later. Also I will draw up a 3d model and see if i can get a working fix for myself. If it works i will post the STL file for the DIY people out there.

Comment

Not sure if the Furrion has the same physical layout, but the below was spotted on a Samsung(?). (Pictures below are not of a GDRV--the DW was going through RVs while my friend and I were looking for a part at a dealership.)

Sorry do not have a source for this door holder--just showing the concept and that there is something out there that appears to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_113554 (Large).jpg
Views:	801
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	88911

Name:	20220604_113615_01 (Large).jpg
Views:	786
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	88912

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So I finally had time to model a new part. Going to try it out this weekend. Will let you know how it goes and if it works I will upload the STL file for people to us.

Comment

We certainly had heartache with our 16 cu ft side by side in our 2022 GD337RLS not staying closed while traveling too.

I have tried a different approach which has worked well for us. I made a small L-shaped bracket out of some scrap 3/4” plywood. The bottom is 9 1/2” x 3”, and the standing up edge is the 3/4” ply cut to 7/16’ thick, and 9 1/2” long and 2 1/2” high. The standing up thinner piece is glued and screwed to the flat floor piece. I drilled a small hole in the L-bracket through and into the slideout floor in front of the fridge, being careful to not go all the was through the floor of the slide out. I used a retaining spring clip, cutting off the spring part. An eye-bolt would work too. I tied a ribbon around it to help in pulling it out and making it an obvious flag that the L-bracket was in place.
                        For traveling, I tilt the L-bracket into place, and drop the pin through the flat bottom of the L-bracket and into the small hole in the slide out floor. To remove, we pull the ribbon attached to the partially cutoff spring clip, and tilt the L-Bracket out.

I also painted the wooden L-bracket with some black paint…

Name:	CE45BE6D-0B52-43BC-B528-4AAE1F54F4DF.jpeg
Views:	744
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	95074 Click image for larger version

Name:	319C7F25-7138-4929-9702-FF34CAA6BDF3.jpeg
Views:	734
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	95075 Click image for larger version

Name:	0E37C50F-6D2E-4599-B484-3C77ED8B1076.jpeg
Views:	749
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	95069 Click image for larger version

Name:	1728BABA-73D2-42E8-8B03-78941E0149D5.jpeg
Views:	746
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	95072 Click image for larger version

Name:	80633F84-483F-4DD2-BE1C-BC13431FDAF4.jpeg
Views:	735
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	95070 Click image for larger version

Name:	DD7BC99F-5EFD-46F2-8709-60FD6AB07BF3.jpeg
Views:	777
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	95068

Attached Files

Comment

I have the Furrion 16cu ft. side by side as well. Apparently Furrion's solution to the doors not staying closed is covered in the "traveling" section of their user manual that says you shouldn't travel with food in the refrigerator! How can this unit be viable for use in an RV?

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post
                            For reference, this is the 16 cu ft 12v fridge.

Click image for larger version Name:	20220526_082852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	86129

And here are a couple shots of the "latch" they give you from the factory. It's a piece of molded plastic probably 10 inches long that caps over the top of the 2 doors. I'm guessing that some dealerships thought it was packing material and tossed it instead of sending it with the buyer, or didn't explain what it was and buyers may have tossed it. Either way, I think far fewer of them are in use than should be.

It's not a perfect design. The doors can still pull slightly away from the fridge box breaking the seal but it's certainly better than nothing and prevents food from hitting the floor. I know from posts on these boards there is something in the works to help solve this problem, hopefully we'll all know more about it soon.

Click image for larger version Name:	20220526_082922.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	86130

Click image for larger version Name:	20220526_082948.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	86131

Any idea where I could get this part from?

Thank you!

Comment

LeinhosRV Honestly its not that great of a solution, as I recall it likes to jump up on its own and fail to do its job. I would suggest one of the other solutions people have gone with if yours is missing or lost.

Neil Citro

Comment

We also have a baby lock on the fridge and we loved having the bracket on top as well as a secondary safety.

Comment

Working...
                                X