Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion 12v refrigerator - Power, but not cooling. (Reflection 150 Series 280RS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 12v refrigerator - Power, but not cooling. (Reflection 150 Series 280RS)

Good Afternoon,

BLUF: Tried everything I can think of but Fridge doesn't cool, need ideas before I make a service appointment.

A few days ago I noticed that the refrigerator was not cooling anymore and almost everything I had in there lost its due by date. Don't worry, the beer's still safe! Events that led up to the moment was the battery dying completely due to cloudy weather, causing the entire unit to loose power for up too 7 days. I believe the unit was fine after I was able to restore power, although I wasn't really paying that much attention to it as I am less inclined to cook my own food. eventually Bones had to tell Jim that it was dead, and I tried everything I could think of. reset the barkers, removed and replaced the fuses, looked (but did not fine an on off button or reset button). its looking more likely that I will have to call the dealer but I'm sure its going to be a simple issue as the RV is not a year old (owned more then a year at least) and it acts as my man residence. I have been dry camping for the last two months. I have been trying to find a solution on my own, but my googling skills seemed to fail me this time.

Grand Design 280rs, 2022 - Reflection 150 Series
    Bought in December 2021

Tried;
    Resetting the Barkers
    Pulling the fuses out and putting them back in.
    praying.

Thank you
    SrAIC

Clarify which Furrion fridge you have they make a couple. Is it the 10cu foot top and bottom or the 16 side by side? Does it have power at all? Does the light inside work? If no power at all there's a fuse behind the fridge that's known to blow if you deplete the battery.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

When the batteries started to die, more current was drawn in order to run the refrigerator. Once the current gets high enough, the fuse will fail. As Neil mentions, there is a fuse behind the refrigerator on many of the units. Unfortunately, the only way to access this fuse is to pull the refrigerator out of the cabinet. Then, you'll find that the fuse is difficult to find for retail purchase. Several owners have replaced the fuse with a blade type fuse and fuse holder, and routed the wire to where the fuse can be reached if it fails again.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Looks to be "8 cu. ft. Furrion Arctic® 12 Volt Built-In Refrigerator" There is power running to it as the light turns on, however no cooling unit is operational. If i do have to pull it out do we know how difficult that would be? I'm fine doing it if its a simple fix but anything other then simple "simple" and I would rather call someone - its still under warranty after all.

Comment

Originally posted by SrAIC View Post
          Looks to be "8 cu. ft. Furrion Arctic® 12 Volt Built-In Refrigerator" There is power running to it as the light turns on, however no cooling unit is operational. If i do have to pull it out do we know how difficult that would be? I'm fine doing it if its a simple fix but anything other then simple "simple" and I would rather call someone - its still under warranty after all.
          If there's power going to it and (obviously) the control is turned to a setting that should start the compressor but it's not running--probably nothing you can do.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Outstanding, thank you all for the help.

I'll let you all know when it turns out to be a simple fix.

Comment

Hey SrAIC -

I just pulled my camper (2022 Grand Design Transcend XPLOR 265BH) out of storage to prep for a trip this weekend. Same exact problem you describe here and never any problem previously, even after winterizing and then de-winterizing for a trip back in March. A friend of mine shared a link from this forum and it did the trick. In a nutshell, disconnect from any power, 30/50amp service, completely disconnect the battery and I also had to disconnect the solar panel on the top of my unit in order to cut power to the fridge. Just let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes and retrace your steps to reconnect. I took an extra step of putting a trickle charger on my battery even though it was running the tongue jack fine before I started this process. After reconnecting all the power, viola, the compressor kicked on and we were cold or freezing within the hour! There is supposed to be a safety feature in the fridge that will turn off the compressor if the battery source falls below 10.5v in order to protect the battery. I am guessing this may have been the cause but that even after connecting to my truck and 30amp service the reset of that safety switch didn't occur. Totally disconnecting the battery terminals and solar panel finally got the light in the fridge to turn off so I knew I had cut power to it. Very frustrating to troubleshoot but give this a try and let us know if it works for you too. There are others on this forum who could benefit too!

Original blog I learned this from: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ut-not-cooling

Good luck!

David
              David Lambert
              2022 Grand Design Transcend XPLOR 265BH
              2019 RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel

Comment

David P, Out of curiosity, how exactly did you disconnect the solar panel? Where and what type connection type is it? I expect I will have to do this at some point as well.
                thanks
                2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Moderator Note: See post 10, below, for more information on the post below. -Howard

Folks, I found out via my dealer that GD has a recall for faulty wiring on these fridges. They used 12ga wire which cannot carry the amps and it blows the fuse to the compressor. They will fix it but only if you bring it up to them.
                  Last edited by howson; 08-01-2022, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny44021 View Post
                    Folks, I found out via my dealer that GD has a recall for faulty wiring on these fridges. They used 12ga wire which cannot carry the amps and it blows the fuse to the compressor. They will fix it but only if you bring it up to them.
                    According to a senior member at Grand Design Customer Service there is no recall as stated in your post. The dealer gave you inaccurate information. Please stop stating this inaccurate information in future posts. If the dealer continues to insist there is a recall, please have the dealer provide the document they received from Grand Design and post it.

In addition, the VIN in your profile is not recorded at Grand Design. If you believe the VIN is accurate and there's an error in GD's records, please take a picture of the sticker on your unit and post it here. (What year and model is it?)

Howard (Moderator)

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

FYI, I posted this on another related thread but it may help someone searching this thread regarding poor cooling for the Furrion Artic 12v refrigerator. My issue is not related to a fuse or power, but still performed poorly. Talking with a friend of mine who does commercial refrigeration, he suggested that the ambient air temp inside the RV may be too warm for the 12v fridge to operate properly (my RV is set up on a semi-permanent site for the summer and I come and go throughout the summer. I was leaving the A/C off when gone and the inside ambient air temp would reach up to 90 degrees). Since I set the A/C to cool the ambient air temp to 81 degrees the fridge performance is excellent. Look at the attached graph depicting my electronic temperature gauge inside the fridge. Once I set the A/C the max and min range for the fridge temp stayed within acceptable ranges - no more wild and long temp swings. I am sure there are other root causes for poor performance (fuse, battery, etc.) but at least for me I seem to have found an answer. Seems that the upper range of ambient air temp is about 85 degrees even though the owners manual safeties that the fridge “will operate” at about 95 degrees. Hope this helps.
                      Attached Files
                      2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Thanks to dillpunk and DavidPLambert for posting how to reset the Furrion 16 cu ft refrigerator. You guys saved my bacon!

I need to override or disconnect this ingenious little feature from Furrion! My travel trailer is parked on our ranch and very unlikely to be moved any time soon. I don’t want to get out to my trailer to find out the refrigerator has quit working because one of the batteries are low. The trailer is plugged into shore power 24/7.

When I reset my refrigerator I forgot to turn the battery disconnect back on! So the next morning when I woke up my battery had drained down to 10 volts and my fridge had quit cooling again. Before I realized I had not turn on the battery disconnect after the reset I was crawling under my travel trailer tracing wires (as if I knew what I was looking for!) and I noticed a bus bar on the frame. Above the bus bar was a sticker labeling each of the wires connected to the bus bar. The wire on the far right top of the bus bar was labeled “Manual Refrigerator Disconnect.” Could this be the secret wire to disconnect or override this low voltage protection feature?

Thanks…Bill
                        2022 Reflection 315 RLTS
                        Bill
                        2022 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Update on this thread regarding my Furrion 12v refrigerator: via another post I learned that the battery disconnect switch must be “ON” any time you will use the refrigerator - even if on shore power. If you turn the battery disconnect key to “OFF” and remove it the refrigerator will not operate properly. It must have a complete circuit with the battery while in use. Once I set the battery disconnect switch to “ON” the Furrion refrigerator has worked fine. Hope this helps others with the same issue.
                          2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Rgg123's reply solved this problem for me.

We usually dry camp. This trip we are plugged into 30amp power. For no good reason I had my battery disconnect switch to "off" . I guess I was thinking that I didn't need the battery while on shore power. Lesson learned.

I just now turned that to "on" and the fridge is running normally now.

Yay!
                            Last edited by arizonius; 10-11-2023, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X