Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug Screens on Dometic 1350 Refrigerator (Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Screens on Dometic 1350 Refrigerator (Mod)

I'll start by cautioning that installing bug screens is not recommended by Dometic. I wasn't at the seminar, but others were and Dometic claims the screens restrict airflow. If you're having issues with your refrigerator or it is still under warranty, you may want to pass on this mod. I deal with all kinds of critters and insects living in Florida, so while I understand Dometic's reasoning I choose to not follow their advice.

I installed the Camco RS600 Flying Insect Screens in the vents that are removable (upper and lower).

Click image for larger version  Name:	RS600.JPG Views:	382 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	8699

Unfortunately that left openings on the sides in the panel that is not removable (without unscrewing it from the camper).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Openings.JPG Views:	221 Size:	210.4 KB ID:	8700

To make these small screens, I made a cardboard template (1). I then taped the template to the RS600 and using a Dremel tool carefully(!) cut out the screen (2 and 3). (4) shows the screen installed and held in place with UV-resistant zip ties.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Steps.JPG Views:	217 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	8701

I then ran a bead of RVFlex around the side of the screen to seal the edge (some weren't as nice as the one shown in the picture). I also had to modify the lower aft screen so the drain hose can fit through.

After cleaning off all of the old silicone, the final step was to seal around the outside of the main panels (again using RVFlex).

Closeup of the Upper Right Panel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Closeup Upper.JPG Views:	216 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	8702

Lower Panel
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Lower.JPG Views:	216 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	8703

Not a terribly exciting mod but thought some might find it interesting.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 05:54 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    ...Not a terribly exciting mod but thought some might find it interesting.
    Nice work Howard. Not too many bug issues for about 7 months here in the winter wonderland so I have been lucky over the last 15 years of owning a trailer and have not had that issue but can really understand it in Florida.

Rob
    Last edited by howson; 12-08-2019, 11:05 AM. Reason: Deleted some of the quote (my original text, not Rob's!) to make his response show up quicker.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
    X