No announcement yet.

Norcold 1210 & Operation in High Winds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 1210 & Operation in High Winds?

We’re experiencing high winds in central Kansas and our 13-month old Norcold 1210 absorption refrigerator is not cooling properly. First noticed it yesterday while traveling on I-70 running on propane. Got to campground around 5 pm and switched to AC, but still not cooling adequately as of this morning. Sustained winds are about 20 MPH today with gusts much higher at this campground. Waiting for a call back from Norcold, but does anybody have ideas to improve the cooling? I was thinking of trying to block the wind from the lower vent on the outside of the rig. No fault codes are present. Until yesterday, temps over the last two weeks of our ~1500 mile trip have consistently been in the 90s during the day and 70s at night and the refrigerator has performed well. While traveling yesterday and running on propane, temps were in the high 90s, but overnight while on AC power temps were in the 70s and no noticeable improvement in cooling.
    Last edited by Villager; 06-20-2022, 10:34 AM.
    Chuck & Vicki
    2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
    VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

The wind may just be a coincidence. Check out this video where a 1210 owner shows how to basically "reboot" the refrigerator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDVlY7vhyU&t=184s

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

High winds would probably help it cool better by blowing the hot air out from the rear of the fridge. Check the flap and door sealing as well, sometimes they don't seal well letting the cold out and the heat in.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thank you for the responses. TucsonJim - I reset the refrigerator per the You Tube video and now monitoring the temperature of the fins on the digital display. Fins have cooled from 48 to 44 degrees so seems to be working now. Sealing around doors is intact. Must have been a coincidence with these crazy winds!
        Chuck & Vicki
        2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
        VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
        2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          The wind may just be a coincidence. Check out this video where a 1210 owner shows how to basically "reboot" the refrigerator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDVlY7vhyU&t=184s

Jim
          Jim - Just a shout out and thank you for posting this link. For some reason my Norcold 1210 fridge stopped working on AC this am. No error codes or indications - just not cooling. Only reason I noticed it was the temperature sensor was showing rising temps in the freezer section. Checked in the outside access and the whole system was cold - exactly opposite what it should not be... definitely not working. Switched it to LP and started heating (i.e. cooling) again.

Then I remembered seeing this post. Watched the youTube video. Did the reset and all working again. Don't know what was wrong but this fixed it. If it happens again I will spend more time searching for the error code - but at this point all is well!

Cheers!

Ken

Ken & Sandra
          2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

KSC_Travels

That's great news Ken.

​​​​​​​Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator