Victron Cerbo/CCGX/Venus UI Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Cerbo/CCGX/Venus UI Mods

I spent the last few nights at a Provincial Park in Ontario. For those that have not been, its common in these parks for the power pedestal to be shared between two sites (separate circuits but the same post). Due to luck of the draw we wound up in a site with the post on the wrong side (passenger side) and quite far from the RV. It was a 30 amp site, so I did not bring my 50 amp 50 foot extension because the thing is a beast and I did not want to. I brought my 30 amp shore cord as well as a set of 30A extensions. I wound up needing about 75 foot of cord to get to the pedestal. Add to that 95 degree weather and most of you can see where this is going. My extensions overheated (they really need new ends on them) and my EMS kicked in when the voltage dropped to 104, even though the pedestal was at 125. I solved this by using my 50A cord and dogbone, to have the larger wire and less voltage drop, but still needed two of the 30A extensions, so went down to one AC. That is all fine, and I managed it well, but it brought to light it would be nice to have my Victron display show the incoming line so I had all my data in one place. I also for a while had wished it showed the TTG (time to go) data that my BMV had for how long until my batteries would reach 0 SOC.

I went down a google rabbit hole and found a guy who wrote scripts to add more data to the Victron display. I installed them this morning and they seem great so far. I see this improved data both on my display and in the remote console via VRM.

Here are the scripts:

https://community.victronenergy.com/...n-scripts.html

And here is what my UI looks like now. This can all be adjusted in the UI to remove unwanted items, but this is the default after his script is run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-06-22_15-19-59.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	88276

I am really happy with the improvement. Obviously care should be taken whenever any kind of script is run, and your mileage may vary, but there is some great info to be had here.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Neil,

Is this simillar to the Cerbo GX and the Touch 50/70 in the display data? ( asking for a friend that is considering these 2 items and the Multiplus 2).

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would think it should. There's instructions for doing it via USB key which might be easier on an actual Cerbo. The developer used to have a CCGX before he switched to a PI. When I get home I think I'll be trying it on WondersAwait, we will post how it goes. I expect with that you should see the voltage and possibly the current for both phases.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro -- rabbit hole indeed! As soon as I read this post all the stuff I was supposed to doing got shoved aside and I gave it a whirl.

My CCGX was running 2.80, so the first time I rebooted Package Manager did not show up. Rebooted (and removed the memory card as documented in the READ ME section at the bottom of this page: https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper ). After a moment or two the "STARTING" screen appeared on the CCGX and voila'--the Package Manager showed up! The only addition I added was the GuiMods package.

What's really cool is the same enhancement seen on the CCGX shows up in the VictronConnect app (viewing the Remote Console). Awesome!

This is what the CCGX looked like before (for reference). Ignore the ESS #1 entry shown since I run ESS (and most do not) it's not really applicable to this conversation.Click image for larger version  Name:	Before.JPG Views:	0 Size:	218.2 KB ID:	88952

AFTER GuiModsClick image for larger version  Name:	After.JPG Views:	0 Size:	239.9 KB ID:	88953

REMOTE CONSOLE SCREENSHOT (via VictronConnect App)

Click image for larger version  Name:	VictronConnect.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	88954

After installing GuiMods I checked and found there was an update to the CCGX firmware so updated to version 2.87. GuiMods was still there and didn't have to do a thing.

Thanks for posting this, Neil!

Howard

P.S. For those doing the math, the first "after" picture has inaccurate data. I must have taken the picture right as there was a change due to the air conditioner cycling. Obviously 123v x 1.2A does not equal 1480W. Note on the REMOTE CONSOLE how the math does work...

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Awesome glad it went well. I'm loving the additional data, this is one of the many things I like about Victron is the community mods and support. I'm going to afternoon to load it on WondersAwait cerbo next week probably. Did you do it via ssh and command line or with a USB stick?

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro -- OK, I was a little too excited when I posted #4 above. I'm looking at the Remote Console and the math doesn't work. 123V @ 1.9A does not equal 191W (SHORE display). Something's wrong with the data.

I also don't quite understand the two different solar wattages in the PV CHARGER section of the display so I took a snapshot of the SmartSolar display in the VictronConnect app:

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-191447.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	88958

23.26 * 4.2 = 98W (power at the input to the controller)
            13.34 * 7.5 = 100W (power output to the battery from the controller)

So I guess that's why there are two values shown in the PV CHARGER section of the new GuiMods CCGX display. I'd always assumed the power would be equal at the input and output (or, if anything, a slight drop at the output). Very interesting that it is not the same..

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              howson Awesome glad it went well. I'm loving the additional data, this is one of the many things I like about Victron is the community mods and support. I'm going to afternoon to load it on WondersAwait cerbo next week probably. Did you do it via ssh and command line or with a USB stick?
              The CCGX has a slot on the front for a microSD card. I already had one installed to record data when not connected to the internet. All I had to do was format the card (on my Windows laptop) and then copy over the venus-data.tgz file to the card. Reinstalled the microSD in the CCGX and rebooted it. Then, as instructed, rebooted again but quickly pulled the microSD card out before the second reboot started. It took a bit of time (20 seconds?) for the change to register once the CCGX was up and running again, but it did work.

Once the Package Manager was installed on the CCGX I changed the defaults (shown below). Automatic GitHub downloads to ON and Auto install packages to ON. Selected the GuiMods package from the INACTIVE PACKAGES screen and the Package Manager installed it all by itself (obviously my CCGX was connected to the internet).

Really good work by the guy that programmed the script.

Click image for larger version  Name:	default.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	88960

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                ncitro -- OK, I was a little too excited when I posted #4 above. I'm looking at the Remote Console and the math doesn't work. 123V @ 1.9A does not equal 191W (SHORE display). Something's wrong with the data.

I also don't quite understand the two different solar wattages in the PV CHARGER section of the display so I took a snapshot of the SmartSolar display in the VictronConnect app:

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-191447.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	88958

23.26 * 4.2 = 98W (power at the input to the controller)
                13.34 * 7.5 = 100W (power output to the battery from the controller)

So I guess that's why there are two values shown in the PV CHARGER section of the new GuiMods CCGX display. I'd always assumed the power would be equal at the input and output (or, if anything, a slight drop at the output). Very interesting that it is not the same..

That's interesting on the wattage. The AC loads wattage is off as well. I checked my remote console and my shore display is within 1W, but my AC loads is also off. I'm away from my rig so I can't check my display there. I can say that my last week of usage, the current display passes the sniff test for accuracy, but have not tried to tie them out.

Neil Citro

Comment

The CCGX has a slot on the front for a microSD card. I already had one installed to record data when not connected to the internet. All I had to do was format the card (on my Windows laptop) and then copy over the venus-data.tgz file to the card. Reinstalled the microSD in the CCGX and rebooted it. Then, as instructed, rebooted again but quickly pulled the microSD card out before the second reboot started. It took a bit of time (20 seconds?) for the change to register once the CCGX was up and running again, but it did work.

Once the Package Manager was installed on the CCGX I changed the defaults (shown below). Automatic GitHub downloads to ON and Auto install packages to ON. Selected the GuiMods package from the INACTIVE PACKAGES screen and the Package Manager installed it all by itself (obviously my CCGX was connected to the internet).

Really good work by the guy that programmed the script.

Click image for larger version Name:	default.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	88960
                  Yeah since I'm running mine on the PI I just did it all through SSH, but loading them was similar. He did a great job with the coding.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro -- the math issue appears to be on Victron's end. I looked at the Dashboard display on the victronenergy.com site and the math (in the shore power box) doesn't work there, either. 122.8 * 1.9 = 233.32 watts, not 132. Something's screwy...how can it be off by 100W? Or am I tired and missing something really obvious?

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-194558_Firefox.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	88965

Comment

ncitro -- the math issue appears to be on Victron's end. I looked at the Dashboard display on the victronenergy.com site and the math (in the shore power box) doesn't work there, either. 122.8 * 1.9 = 233.32 watts, not 132. Something's screwy...how can it be off by 100W? Or am I tired and missing something really obvious?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220630-194558_Firefox.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	88965
                      Seems like its off to me as well. Only thing I can think is they are calculating VA instead of watts and displaying the wrong units, but for that math to work out they would need to be using a power factor of like .56, which would not seem right. I think it runs at close to 1, and the normal assumed power factor is .8.

Edit: This post seems to agree its a power factor issue:

https://community.victronenergy.com/...y-disagre.html

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro -- another new topic (for me) as I know nada about "Power Factor" or how it's used in a calculation. I understand resistive vs inductive loads, but how that relates to a "Power Factor"...I'll have to do some reading. Thanks for the link.

Comment

ncitro -- another new topic (for me) as I know nada about "Power Factor" or how it's used in a calculation. I understand resistive vs inductive loads, but how that relates to a "Power Factor"...I'll have to do some reading. Thanks for the link.
                          Yeah I had to refresh some college physics. It's why the Multiplus 3000 isn't 3000 watts, it's VA. Which is actually a more appropriate way to measure it for AC, but not what people are used to seeing so can beat bit misleading.

Neil Citro

Comment

howson Howard, the easiest way to think of power factor is as "efficiency" factor. Simplified math: 100V @ 10A = 1,000W, through a transformer say it steps down to 10V @ 90A = 900W then the PF is 0.9, likewise motors produce less output power vs input power (losses).
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X