Fridge temp regulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge temp regulation

We have a Norcold 1210 four door fridge. Works reasonably well for the most part. The problem I see is regulation. My freezer goes from -7*C to -15*C. The fridge section varies between 0.1*c to 4*c. To me that is a large swing in temps. So...what regulates the temp and how can I make the fridge more stable? As in how to keep the freezer and fridge temp swings down to a minimum...like a degree.

Is what I want possible?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Most RV fridges have only one temperature sensor. I am assuming your 4 door is this way, but don’t know for sure. This sensor/thermostat is in the fridge section and the amount of cooling that the freezer gets is controlled by the temperature in the fridge. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. The assumption seems to be that the doors are opened and/or things added or removed in an equal way. This is seldom the case.

I monitor both freezer and fridge temps and see similar temperature swings that you describe. For example, filling the ice cube trays and putting them in the freezer without putting anything warm in the fridge will cause the freezer temp to rise significantly . . . waiting for the next fridge cooling cycle.

I don’t know if “residential” fridges for RVs are truly residential in the context that they have separate monitoring and cooling systems for freezer and fridge sections.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      I monitor both freezer and fridge temps and see similar temperature swings that you describe.
      Rob
      So the temp swings I'm seeing is likely common then? I only recently placed bluetooth temp sensors in the fridge and freezer for monitoring and was surprised at the swings. I wonder if it is the reaction time in the design of the electronics, or if it is the limitations of absorption tech. Like is there a more precision temp sensor was available that would tighten up the deadband?
      Or a pot on the motherboard?
      I'll have to do some digging
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

First thing to look for is a temperature sensor in the freezer. If you don’t have one (and most RV fridges do not) then freezer cooling is a byproduct of maintaining fridge temp. I note from your original post that the fridge temperature band is tighter than the freezer. Same here . . . because there is no temperature sensor/thermostat in the freezer compartment.

I have had occasion to start up the fridge in the RV when it and ambient temps were just above 0*C. (ie normal fridge temp). I had to hang a light bulb in the fridge to get that compartment warm enough to turn on the fridge cooling system to bring the freezer temp down to -15*C +/-.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - it has an alarm feature. I've also noticed that sometimes the fridge temp can vary depending on what the temp is outside the RV so my temp setting varies between #2 and #3. I'm currently in the Seattle, WA area and the weather here has been on the cooler side.

Side note: last week my fridge wouldn't turn off. It would just keep cooling and cooling. At one point I had to turn it off for a couple of hours. Turns out that the thermal resistor went bad. RV is less than 6 months old. Bought a new one on Amazon. I would recommend having a couple of these on hand as it seems they burn out frequently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This one might be the same for your fridge. Mine is a Norcold 2118.
          2022 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
          2022 Momentum 397THS
          Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            First thing to look for is a temperature sensor in the freezer. If you don’t have one (and most RV fridges do not) then freezer cooling is a byproduct of maintaining fridge temp. I note from your original post that the fridge temperature band is tighter than the freezer. Same here . . . because there is no temperature sensor/thermostat in the freezer compartment.

I have had occasion to start up the fridge in the RV when it and ambient temps were just above 0*C. (ie normal fridge temp). I had to hang a light bulb in the fridge to get that compartment warm enough to turn on the fridge cooling system to bring the freezer temp down to -15*C +/-.

Rob
            I had a old fridge in my garage that worked that way. It was a detached garage, and I found out the hard way when the ambient temp got below fridge temp, nothing runs. This meant in the window where it was above freezing but below fridge temp food in my freezer thawed and spoiled. This was years ago, on a fridge that was probably 20 years old at the time, so it could be home units have improved from that, but it definitely used to be the norm for residential back in the day.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
            X