Vision Works rear observation camera install - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision Works rear observation camera install - Help Please

NO pictures yet, but what a mess. When GD installed the backing plate they striped 3 of the 4 mounting screws and they already upsized them from a #8 to #10. The one that was holding is a #8. I am talking about the original baking plate. To compensate they used silicone behind the rubber gasket. The next size up is 1/4" I believe, but I am not sure the Vision Works adapter plate holes are big enough.

Now I know the original Furrion power plug is tied into the clearance lights (old camera power on when light were on). However I cannot find where GD tapped into the light wiring. It appears to run up into the clearance light channel, but after pulling 2 lights I cannot find the splice, I managed to break one of the clearance lights in the process.

Then trying to find room for the Vision works cabling from the camera, I think they could work on minimizing this. The void in the foam behind the old Furrion mount was very small. I hollowed out the foam to try and find the original splice to make space. I managed to stuff everything in finally.

Its currently cobbled together, but I am off to find screws and a new lens. Befor taking it apart again I plan to see if it works when the truck is connected up.

So if anyone knows where the splice is, please let me know, or other suggestions.

Thanks Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,

I found mine by pulling the factory connection out as far as I could. Mine was actually connected inside the RV somewhere but I never figured out where. I cut that wire and taped it off and then wired to the marker light above. It was a pain to dig thru the foam and get a wire for the light out to where I could use it. The way that these have been wired over the years it is hard to tell where yours may be.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda
      Keith,
      I’m sure you have watched this video, but just in case you didn’t here is what I did when I installed my vision works camera.
      Hope this helps.
      https://youtu.be/VOhomwfVHiE

Jim
      Jim and Cindy
      2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
      2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Keith,

I found mine by pulling the factory connection out as far as I could. Mine was actually connected inside the RV somewhere but I never figured out where. I cut that wire and taped it off and then wired to the marker light above. It was a pain to dig thru the foam and get a wire for the light out to where I could use it. The way that these have been wired over the years it is hard to tell where yours may be.

Brian
        Hogdrv Jim - good video - thanks.

I wish it was that easy. The top marker lights are cut into an aluminum chancel (from what I can tell) that runs full width, No direct path down to the hole where the Furrion plug is. It took a while today but I picked up some #12 and #14 stainless steel sheet metal screws and some more silicone caulk and spare red marker lenses.

I am first going to test and if everything is good, partially undo what I did and reseal. And while I have the ladder set up do the soft start.

Ill post a few pictures

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Good luck!
          Jim and Cindy
          2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
          2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
            Good luck!
            Things went a bit better today. The #12 screws worked for three holes - going to sleep on the 4th. I also solved the monitor mounting problem (spoiler - your going to like it) - will post on that tomorrow

The camera test worked - got a very good picture to the truck, then discovered I did not have the monitor antenna attached - DUH! Then discovered I had not removed the protective film from the camera - big improvement I believe I am going to like this set up. Tomorrow the monitor mounting to the rear view mirror

Keith.

Comment

Good job Keith, looking forward to tomorrow’s post!

Jim
              Jim and Cindy
              2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
              2021 320G

Comment

Hi Keith,

Just wondering why you are not using the Ford camera system? Hardwired, so that is a different set of issues to deal with, but the picture then appears on the “big screen”.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi Keith,

Just wondering why you are not using the Ford camera system? Hardwired, so that is a different set of issues to deal with, but the picture then appears on the “big screen”.

Rob
                  Good question. If they offered it wireless I would have gone for it. I just didn't like the idea of another wire running under the trailer (something more to be damaged). However I was also told it only operates up to about 5 MPH forward and in reverse. Not meant to operate as a rear view observation camera at speed. Now a funny thing happened the other day - was driving and set the center display to rear view. It worked well over 5 mph - was driving through town. Almost made me dizzy. The front camera also works driving in town too. I found it very useful parking where I can see over that big hood.

Keith

Comment

Ok to finish up
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928s.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	88593
                    Camera is installed. The furrion backing plate covers the exact same ares to old furrion mount did.

Now to how to mount the monitor in the truck. Please hang with me as I go through the several option that Vision works includes in thier kit. They do not offer a rear view mirrion mount, but I will cover that later. For my old Furrion 4" monitor I just used rubber bands to hold it to the mirrior

Name:	IMG_0921s.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	88594 The first mount we will discus is the cup holder mount. When I first saw this in thier literature I thought cool this will work. However the mount will not securely fit the Ford cup holder. You twist the top to expand it, but due to Fords design it will not hold solidly. I actually like the Ford holders as my big mug with handle fits perfectly.

Then there is the issue of the monitor blocking critical controls.

Name:	IMG_0922s.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	88595 The holder is similar to a cell phone holder and this holder will work with a cell phone too, but I don't need it as I can sync my phone through the dash. I just have it mocked up here, but note it blocks the environmental and radio controls.

Name:	IMG_0923s.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	88596 Vision works also provides a suction cup mount for the windshield or dash depending if you have a smooth spot. Again this is just a tem mock up or the monitor would be level. However I feel it creates too much of a blind spot - not a good thing.

Name:	IMG_0925s.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	88597 So this leaves fabricating up a rear view mirror mount. Doing this puts the monitor up out of the way at a good viewing angle, just like you were using the rear view mirror during normal driving... I post next on how I did this.

Comment

Kydex and a heat gun???
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Now for the fun. As I mentioned Vision works does not make a mirror mount, but Haloview does https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 While not shown the kit also comes with two Velcro straps in addition to the rubber straps.. But how do you make it fit the Vision works monitor. I did a lot of head scratching. This mount is intended for thier monitor wher the provide screws to screw it to the back of the monitor. The screw holes wont work with the Vision Works monitor

Name:	IMG_0911s.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	88604 Then it hit me - after looking at the suction cup mount I noticed a T bolt on the gimbel. So I grabbed one off my table saw feather board to check the fit - perfect match. The to find T bolts in town - NADA no one had them, but I figured I could use tow of these that Ace had and grid the head to make a t bolt and fully thread it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...1834/204273813 It was not until today I noticed the closed T bolts probably would have saved time https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ir-parts/46744

Name:	IMG_0912s.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	88605
                        So I drilled two holes in the center of the Haloview mount

Name:	IMG_0913s.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	88606
                        I then ground flats on either side of the bolt head to create T bolts and fully tapped the shank.

Name:	IMG_0914s.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	88607
                        My homemade T bolts fit the monitor slot perfectly

Name:	IMG_0916s.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	88608 Test fit is good, now all I need to do is mark and cut the bolts off. BTW I tried a carriage bolt but they are too thick.

Comment

Once cut this is what your left with

Name:	IMG_0917s.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	88612 Before I cut I had the nuts thread down, so when I removed the nuts they cleaned up the threads

Name:	IMG_0918s.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	88613
                          Test fit the backing plate and measure the top of the nuts would still be below the side mirror padding.

Name:	IMG_0919s.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	88614 Mount secured to the back of the monitor. When I do the final assembly I will be using the nylon locks nuts and add padding over the bolts

Name:	IMG_0920s.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	88615 Here is the mount with the velcro strapping attached. When I do the final fitment I may go withe the rubber straps instead.

Name:	IMG_0926s.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	88616

These are the rubber straps included with the Haloview kit

Well that it for now. A little tweaking tomorrow and it will be ready to go.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Kydex and a heat gun???
                            My luck I would melt what I was not supposed to melt, but I know where you were headed - Thanks

Comment

Update
                              My Vision Works camera failed. I went to hook it up again - I.E install the monitor to the mirror, plug in and go as I always did. NO SIGNAL OK went to re-pair, but first had to dig out the pairing button at the camera that I had put behind the mount. Discovered that 3 of the 4 screws had striped again. So epoxied in some iwallsnserts, let it dry overnight and re mount with the paring button exposed. Tried the re-pairing several times and no go.

So called Vision works explained what I did and they are shipping out a new camera and longer extension antenna with a 30" cable. Should have it by Saturday. - Monday at the latest. Hopefully I can get the cable out through the mount and not need to take the mount down as I sealed behind it. Great customer service. Now off to HD for supplies and another tote.

Comment

Working...
                              X