Winegard 360+ Gateway Wiring Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winegard 360+ Gateway Wiring Issue

We recently purchased a 2022 Solitude 380FL-R. We went to install the Winegard 360+ gateway and ran into a slight issue. When my husband removed the access cap, he found the yellow/white loop wire zip tied to the cap plus the other cables. He said that there should be an end to the looped wired but he never found one. He decided to cut the yellow/white wire. When he did that, our front air conditioner stopped working. He reattached the yellow/white wire so that we could have air conditioning again (it was humid that day). Our question is, are we to splice the yellow/white cable and attach the "power" cable for the gateway to that for it to get power or should there be wires already prepped in the ceiling for this install? I appreciate any incite into this that anyone can give us. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by brludwig2022 View Post
    We recently purchased a 2022 Solitude 380FL-R. We went to install the Winegard 360+ gateway and ran into a slight issue. When my husband removed the access cap, he found the yellow/white loop wire zip tied to the cap plus the other cables. He said that there should be an end to the looped wired but he never found one. He decided to cut the yellow/white wire. When he did that, our front air conditioner stopped working. He reattached the yellow/white wire so that we could have air conditioning again (it was humid that day). Our question is, are we to splice the yellow/white cable and attach the "power" cable for the gateway to that for it to get power or should there be wires already prepped in the ceiling for this install? I appreciate any incite into this that anyone can give us. Thanks in advance.
    That looped wire is indeed 12V power for the Winegard. Best to remove all 12v power before cutting it...but that's OBE at this point,

What you'll do is wire the Winegard in parallel with the wire that was cut. Again, do this work when it's cool enough to remove all power (including any solar input if so equipped) from the camper prior to doing the work.

If "wiring in parallel" is not understood, fire back and I'll put together a quick diagram.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I used Posi-Taps, https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html , to connect my gateway. No wire cutting necessary.
      Jim
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ford F350 SD DRW LB

Comment

Question I have is which of the yellow or white wire is positive? Through all the posts I have read only one person said that the yellow wire is positive. Is that true for everyone else whose GD's are pre-wired for WiFi? I don't own a volt meter so I have no way to tell and I don't want to buy one and use it one time and then never again.
        Thanks,
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RMcCabe View Post
          Question I have is which of the yellow or white wire is positive? Through all the posts I have read only one person said that the yellow wire is positive. Is that true for everyone else whose GD's are pre-wired for WiFi? I don't own a volt meter so I have no way to tell and I don't want to buy one and use it one time and then never again.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Good morning, Ron. Not that you asked for my opinion...but I urge every RV owner to have (and know how to use) a voltmeter ("DMM"). For $20 a basic version can be had from a big box store (it doesn't need to be a Fluke or anything fancy). There are endless YouTube videos showing how to use a meter.

Now to the question you asked: usually the white wire is negative. The one time I found this not true was the factory wiring to the water pump...which I found by checking with my DMM prior to re-connecting the wiring.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hello Howard, Thank you for letting me know that from what you have found out the white wire is negative. Now as far as the voltmeter goes, I did own one at one time. I bought it at a time when I needed and over the past 15 years I used it a total of one time, that one time when I actually needed to use one. I sold it at a garage sale a couple years ago. If anything I would rather rent one than buy one, after all how many times do you need/use one?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RMcCabe View Post
              Hello Howard, Thank you for letting me know that from what you have found out the white wire is negative. Now as far as the voltmeter goes, I did own one at one time. I bought it at a time when I needed and over the past 15 years I used it a total of one time, that one time when I actually needed to use one. I sold it at a garage sale a couple years ago. If anything I would rather rent one than buy one, after all how many times do you need/use one?

Ron
              I'm probably an outlier as I use one professionally, but I have two in the trailer (a clamp on for current measurement and a digital multimeter for voltage and resistance) and several at home and in my work bag. I use one of the two in the trailer for something pretty much every time I'm out. It's the first step in troubleshooting pretty much anything electrical. Even if you don't use one frequently it's good to carry one in case you have an issue and someone offers to help who is comfortable with it.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

RMcCabe If you have a cheap DC LED bulb and a few loose wires laying around you can cobble up a makeshift DC polarity tester. Most cheap LED bulbs will not illuminate if the voltage is reversed.

something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (if you plan to add skirt lighting) will work in a pinch as the wiring is already connected. Even https://www.amazon.com/Spec-D-Tuning...s%2C179&sr=8-2 and a little creativity of connecting leads to the legs of the bulb will make a decent polarity tester.

With any system you find that will allow for testing DC polarity, test on a known good battery first to verify which line is positive and which is negative.

Alternatively a really cheap tester (I have a similar one in the truck) is not a bad investment when it comes to owning an RV as mentioned. https://www.amazon.com/Tatoonly-Supe...s%2C131&sr=8-7 you may find that determining if a circuit is missing power in atom the positive or just a bad negative return can create hours of looking for the problem. A simple tester even if not used frequently becomes a useful tool.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jamesdn View Post
                  I used Posi-Taps, https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html , to connect my gateway. No wire cutting necessary.

Good idea on the posi-taps. I used T connector, similar to the posi’s. Eliminated cutting the wire as well.

I also installed the on off switch by cutting a small slot on the side of the router box just large enough to slide the switch in. Clean, no further wiring or hole cutting in walls etc. From the T connector I added a piece of red 18ga wire using a spade connector to the on/ off switch. Then the original red 18ga w spade attached to the other post of the on/off. Ensured it was connected so that the router was on when switch was on. Works great all right there together, wiring hidden under the router box. Let me know if you want more pics.

Attached Files
                  SATA Adventurers
                  Steve and Tina
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS
                  2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Working...
                  X