Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion 12V refer woes. Looking for info about how a 'normal' one operates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cate&Rob Rgg123 , and all others.

I was just reading thru the manual to find the previously mentioned operation instructions and yes they are in the manual page 12, here is a pic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (93).png
Views:	540
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	91447

It is very amusing to read and also amusing that they would provide this manual on their site. There is also a "new version" of the Furrion Arctic available, wonder what that means. They both have the same manual. https://furrion.com/products/10-cu-ft-furrion-arctic™-12-volt-built-in-refrigerator , scroll down to downloads then pic use manual.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So here is some highly scientific data that I have gathered over the last day. I ordered a wireless thermometer with 3 signal devices and here it is,

Name:	20220730_170902.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	91521
      I placed sensor 1 in freezer, sensor 2 back of top shelf, sensor 3 bottom shelf front, as seen here,

Name:	20220730_171008.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	91522
      Knob set to middle position seen here,

Name:	20220730_171105.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	91523
      Turned fridge on and waited.

Next post
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

1-1/2 hour later,

Name:	20220730_184707.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	91526

WOW! Freezer gets cold fast but fridge laggs behind. This temp was at 5:11 pm.

I will refrain from posting a bunch of pictures of my ne fangled thermometer thingy but will provide some times and temps.

6:47 pm -4 , 52 , 64.
        8:07 pm -4 , 39 , 49.
        8:45 pm -4 , 40 , 47
        10:00 pm +5 , 38 , 45
        6:05 am -4 , 34 , 42
        7:22 am +7 , 38 , 43

I then turned the dial to the right, 3:00 dot when checked later here are the numbers

8:30 am -14 , 28 , 37
        10:22 am +3 , 30 , 34
        1:38 pm - 17 , 20 , 29

All degrees in "F" and no owners were harmed in this experiment.

There are some pretty large temp swings and the last setting on this test is way too cold, I think I will stay at the middle where we have been using it.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers

Hi Brian,

Those are some dramatic swings in freezer temps. Interesting that the fridge temperature swings are more damped. This is a tough test with empty compartments. It would be interesting to put some jugs of water in both compartments to see if this evens things out. Also, to learn if the fridge drops below freezing. After all . . . we don't want to put the beer at risk .

FWIW . . . I have a Dometic absorption propane/120V fridge set on 4 out the 5 temperature positions. I constantly monitor freezer temp but not fridge temp. The freezer runs a more-or-less steady 5F to 10F on either propane or electric. Influenced by outside temperatures. We do have to put the ice cream in a specific corner to keep it frozen. I have never seen a freezer temp below 0F . . . but have never pushed the fridge to the 5th position. As another comparison, our house fridge (a much more sophisticated machine) holds the 2F set temperature with no measurable variation.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Country Campers

Hi Brian,

Those are some dramatic swings in freezer temps. Interesting that the fridge temperature swings are more damped. This is a tough test with empty compartments. It would be interesting to put some jugs of water in both compartments to see if this evens things out. Also, to learn if the fridge drops below freezing. After all . . . we don't want to put the beer at risk .

FWIW . . . I have a Dometic absorption propane/120V fridge set on 4 out the 5 temperature positions. I constantly monitor freezer temp but not fridge temp. The freezer runs a more-or-less steady 5F to 10F on either propane or electric. Influenced by outside temperatures. We do have to put the ice cream in a specific corner to keep it frozen. I have never seen a freezer temp below 0F . . . but have never pushed the fridge to the 5th position. As another comparison, our house fridge (a much more sophisticated machine) holds the 2F set temperature with no measurable variation.

Rob
            I am sure that adding some items to the either the fridge or freezer section will help stabilize the temperatures but that test will have to wait for another weekend. What would be helpful is to have something to get the temps at 15 min intervals, I do not have this type of instruments. In a few weeks I may run another test with food loaded for a trip, this will start a few days before leaving, and yes according to the manual I will turn the fridge off and empty the compartments for travel, NOT.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Since I set the ambient RV to 81 degrees on Wednesday the refrigerator temp has been terrific - between 38 degrees on the high and 26 on the low. At least in my case, the ambient air temp inside the RV seems to be an important operating parameter (despite the operating manual stating that the unit will operate up to 110 degrees. My sense is that it may operate, but not very well above 85 degrees ambient air temp).
              2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Cate&Rob Rgg123 , and all others.

I was just reading thru the manual to find the previously mentioned operation instructions and yes they are in the manual page 12, here is a pic.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (93).png Views:	33 Size:	243.4 KB ID:	91447

It is very amusing to read and also amusing that they would provide this manual on their site. There is also a "new version" of the Furrion Arctic available, wonder what that means. They both have the same manual. https://furrion.com/products/10-cu-ft-furrion-arctic™-12-volt-built-in-refrigerator , scroll down to downloads then pic use manual.

Brian
                Yep, I could not believe when I read it. If in fact the unit was designed NOT to operate while in transit, why would GD install it in thei RVs? Makes no sense to me. I am interested to know who owns one and if they have successfully operated it while in transit.
                2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Rgg123 View Post

Yep, I could not believe when I read it. If in fact the unit was designed NOT to operate while in transit, why would GD install it in thei RVs? Makes no sense to me. I am interested to know who owns one and if they have successfully operated it while in transit.
                  To be fair I'm pretty sure the propane ones said not to use while driving either. The manual trends to not align with reality.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Rgg123 View Post
                    Since I set the ambient RV to 81 degrees on Wednesday the refrigerator temp has been terrific - between 38 degrees on the high and 26 on the low. At least in my case, the ambient air temp inside the RV seems to be an important operating parameter (despite the operating manual stating that the unit will operate up to 110 degrees. My sense is that it may operate, but not very well above 85 degrees ambient air temp).
                    A “refrigerator” should never go below 32F (0C). If the control system allows the fridge section to get to 26F . . . this is not a good thing.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

See attached graph depicting the refrigerator temp since I set the RV ambient air temp to 81 degrees. I believe I found the answer to my issue as the fridge operates within a tight temp range - acceptable to me. There are likely other root causes but at least I know that the upper end of ambient air temp is the mid 80’s for the refrigerator to operate properly. If you are having issues with inadequate cooling of the fridge set your A/C unit between 80-85 degrees auto and it should solve your problem. I will monitor in the Fall to determine a lower end ambient air temp. Hope this helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a response from the Furrion team regarding my comments on the poorly worded section of the owners manual about operation of the 12v fridge while in transit:

Good Afternoon,

I agree the manual could be worded differently to avoid confusion. The fridge is indeed to designed to operate normally during transportation. The first two bullets after that statement are more so tips/advice.”

Also, I decided to swap out the standard AC thermostat (Coleman AirExcel) for the MicroAir EZTouch RV Thermostat. I discovered that the standard thermostat does not reset after a a power outage (and apparently the battery is not enough to keep it going). Thus, I have to manually reset the thermostat for the AC to run again. Since my RV is set up in a summer lot, I come and go from home, thus not always present to attend to such occurrences. The EZ Touch Thermostat will connect with my wifi and I will be able to monitor and control the ambient air temp from anywhere. if there is a power outage I will receive an alert and be able to restart my AC (and thus keep the ambient air below 85 degrees and allow the 12v Furrion fridge to continue to operate). Also, the EZ Touch Thermostat has an auto start up after a loss of pwer, so I am double covered. It will also be nice to set the temp ahead of our arrival and arrive tho a comfortable temp without having to wait until the RV cools down in the summer.

It’s an upgrade (I wish GD had equipped the base AC units better - or al least offered an upgrade option) but one I am willing to pay for. The other upgrade was swapping out the cheap, loud standard exhaust fan in the bathroom for a MAXfan with a remote - what a difference!!
                        Last edited by Rgg123; 08-05-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Hi everyone.
                          I just purchased a 2023 image xls 23lde with a Furrion 12v refrigerator, unknow when I signed it was only 12 v. Did not want pick up camper tried to cancel after 48 hours no go. BS. I do back woods camping, lots of trees. The company we bought it from (Meyer’s) said with 2 6v battier and the factory installed one 165 watt solar panel we should be ok keeping refrigerator cold. I am looking for some Experience from someone who has Done it. I feel it’s not true. Grand Design agreed with Meyers. We are in the woods sometimes up to two weeks.
                          Thank you for your time.
                          Last edited by Ron14612; 08-06-2022, 06:24 PM.

Comment

My 303 came with the 12v (specifically the side by side 16cu one), 165w Furrion panel, and the 50a Furrion controller. One of the first things we did was change the battery to Lithium but took it out a few times before changing a whole lot more since then. I can say that we had the rig out for a week of boondocking at our family farm as a test run for the system. We were literally 2 miles from home and didn't store any food in the fridge, but kept it running. Ambient temps were in the 60s overnight and 70s during the day; no heat or AC run inside the rig and it was comfortable. On 200ah of lithium with just the fridge and some evening lights running we got 5 days of use before the batteries were at ~10% which is when we decided to pull the plug on our experiment. Every day we had it out was sunny and the little solar panel was working, charging up slightly against the usage overnight, but there was more drain than charge overall. If GD/Meyer's is trying to tell you the one panel can maintain the fridge by itself, then they are incorrect.
                            David and Deana
                            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Hi thank you for the info. I feel a little better I thought I would be using a cooler with ice. Have you ever looked into portable solar panels? I was thinking a add on would help.

Comment

There's a lot of good info on these (and others too) forums about various kinds of panels and how well they do. The search function is your best friend. I learned an immense amount by just reading through relevant threads of how other people setup their rigs. The Will Prowse youtube channel, website, and book is another awesome resource for learning about solar and what is best for you.

It's relatively easy to add on more panels to the system, so that is certainly an option for you.

Finally, since you only have a couple posts here, Welcome to the boards/community! There is a really great welcome and introduction post by the moderators with great info about the forums that I recommend checking out: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                                David and Deana
                                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                                2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X